Ó Flatharta's Galway Reign Over

Started by Duine Eile, August 06, 2011, 08:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duine Eile

From HoganStand:
O Flatharta's Galway reign over
06 August 2011

Galway manager Tomas O'FlathartaTomas O Flatharta's reign as Galway senior football manager came to an end last night after the county board decided not to grant him another year in his term.

The Kerry native, who is just one season into his term a desire to stay in charge for a second year, but after relegation to Division Two of the NFL, a disappointing Connacht SFC semi-final defeat to Mayo and qualifier loss to Meath the decision was taken not to keep him on in the role.

Ó Flatharta, who succeeded Joe Kernan after only one year in charge, had been given a three-year term by the county board last October with an annual review.

A statement released last night by the board read: "Club delegate's last night ratified a decision made by the Football Board executive on Tuesday evening not to grant another year to the present senior football management team, it followed an end year review by the selection committee and the manager. The clubs will now be circulated with nomination papers for the election of a new manager in the coming weeks."

Shrewdness

I suppose with a record of just one win in nine league and championship games in 2011, he was always going to be under pressure to hold on to his job.

However, i think he was only part of the problem. The malaise in Galway football goes deeper.
For starters, they don't have the quality of player that they had over the last 12 or 13 years.

Galway people will be able to answer this question.....Is it true that Nicky Joyce opted off the panel this year?
If so, why was that.?

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Shrewdness on August 06, 2011, 09:47:44 PM
Galway people will be able to answer this question.....Is it true that Nicky Joyce opted off the panel this year?
If so, why was that.?

Yes. He was the best forward in the county championship by a mile but Nicky is a law unto himself and didn't fancy it this year for whatever reason.

O'Flaharta was a bit unlucky in that Nicky didn't make himself available and Michael Meehan could never really get himself fully fit and promptly reinjured himself against Meath. That said he can only blame himself for a completely off the wall team selection against Mayo which had near half the team playing out of position. At least he recognised a major part of the problem was sticking with the same players that have proven to be not good enough over the last few years. He did introduce a fair whack of youngsters to the panel this year but these lads are still very raw and will need time. Ultimately it's important the next manager is the right appointment. Between this year's U-21's and the last two minor teams Galway have a lot of good young players coming through. Even at Ted Webb they are cleaning up but it's a long term job because these lads will need plenty of time and some good coaching. Chopping and changing managers every year is no good for them although the feeling seems to be it's time to have a Galway man in charge because he's going to be dealing with a very young team for the next few years. Alan Mulholland seems the obvious candidate but I'm not sure he wants the senior job just yet.

mckieran

QuoteGalway people will be able to answer this question.....Is it true that Nicky Joyce opted off the panel this year?
If so, why was that.?

From an outsider looking at the situation, He seems to have the worst attitude in the world. There were issues between himself & Peter Ford and between himself & Joe Kernan. Just doesnt seem to have the commitment required for inter-county football...

Like the other posters alluded to, O'Flaratha really only is part of the problem. But he did some crazy tings this year. Alan Mulholland has to be brought in now. I would assume he was already sounded out about the job. Otherwise why get rid of O'Flaratha?Mulholland should be brought in and given a 3 or 4 tear term.

Duine Eile

I think one has to look beyond the management to see where things are going wrong in Galway football, Ó Flatharta happened to get caught in the middle of it, he was the wrong man for the job and made so many wrong decisions during the year and was probably rightly asked to leave. However, he was sacked by the same executive that hired him, the same bunch of wise men who hired Joe Kernan and then sacked him, the same gang who hired Liam Sammon and who gave in to player power and asked him to leave and there's still certain figures there since Peter Forde's time also. Surely they realise by now they haven't a clue who they want or need and should step aside and let someone with a few progressive ideas through. A lot of this blame lies with the club delegates aswell who keep voting in the same old guard, things have to change. Staying out of the whole Nicky Joyce debate for obvious biased reasons except to say that it's an awful shame he wasn't on the panel this year  :)

blast05

O'Fathartas record is shocking when you consider his previous 2 years with Westmeath..... factoring in his previous 2 years with Westmeath then his inter-county management record is something like 3 wins in 28 games with 25 losses.

ross4life

Galway have to give there Senior managers more time! if Alan Mulholland was only given one year with the Minor,U21s would they have won All Irelands?
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

T Toatler

Whilst Galways record at Senior Level was poor this year they are fast becoming a bit of a joke a la Meath etc with appointing managers and getting rid of them. It takes time to integrate lads into teams and those under 21 lads will likely be the backbone of the team in future years.

Orangemac

Would agree about next manager being given more time. Galway are in danger of making Chelsea look like a stable club.

Galway are arguably the 3rd best team in Connacht at the minute so the only way is up. With AI minor and U21 teams from the last 10 years there are undoubtedly quality players in Galway, it will just not be an overnight job to turn it around.

SLIGONIAN

Please take Walsh from us.....i beg you..
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

GAA_Punter

Alan Mullholland has the job, he is a 1/1000 to be next manager

GalwayBayBoy

QuoteAlan Mulholland has hinted that he is interested in becoming Galway's next football manager.

The Salthill/Knocknacarra clubman is the fans' choice to succeed Tomas O Flatharta - whose 10-month tenure was ended by the football board last Friday night - after leading Galway to All-Ireland U21 glory earlier this year and to an All-Ireland minor title in 2007.

Former All-Ireland winning midfielder Kevin Walsh, who led Sligo to a Connacht final appearance last year, is also expected to be shortlisted for the job.

"I was hoping to remain as U21 manager next year and defend our crown. That was my focus and I was not expecting to have to deal with any issue about the senior job," Mulholland said in the Irish Daily Star.

"I enjoyed a very good working relationship with Tomas and he and his management were extremely cooperative and helpful to us through the year and that played a big part in our success. If I'm nominated I will give it consideration, but we will just have to wait and see what happens."

ross matt

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 09, 2011, 03:12:54 PM
QuoteAlan Mulholland has hinted that he is interested in becoming Galway's next football manager.

The Salthill/Knocknacarra clubman is the fans' choice to succeed Tomas O Flatharta - whose 10-month tenure was ended by the football board last Friday night - after leading Galway to All-Ireland U21 glory earlier this year and to an All-Ireland minor title in 2007.

Former All-Ireland winning midfielder Kevin Walsh, who led Sligo to a Connacht final appearance last year, is also expected to be shortlisted for the job.

"I was hoping to remain as U21 manager next year and defend our crown. That was my focus and I was not expecting to have to deal with any issue about the senior job," Mulholland said in the Irish Daily Star.

"I enjoyed a very good working relationship with Tomas and he and his management were extremely cooperative and helpful to us through the year and that played a big part in our success. If I'm nominated I will give it consideration, but we will just have to wait and see what happens."

Sounds like a yes to me or surely he would have completely ruled himself out. Very professional and successful underage manager that will bring alot of the same to the senior job. If he comes in now its pretty much at an all time low which is ideal for anyone new. They have alot of talent at their disposal. Not necessarily of the 98/01 standard but good enough to make their current championship and league form totally unacceptable. They have the ability to bounce back quickly and the confidence to kick on if they get on to the bigger stage. Plenty of political isssues with the overall set up that need sorting but the only way is up for the tribesmen if Mulholland come on board. Connacht will be very competitive in 2012.

magpie seanie

Thanks to Kevin for all he has done and I wish him well with his new job.

Tubberman

Quote from: magpie seanie on August 10, 2011, 10:13:29 AM

Thanks to Kevin for all he has done and I wish him well with his new job.

@IrishSunSport Irish Sun Sport
SLIGO are confident Kevin Walsh will still be their senior football boss in 2012 #gaa
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."