Cars from England

Started by tyrone girl, April 14, 2011, 03:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyrone girl

Getting a new motor but from what i can see cars over here seem to be seriously higher prices than those in England. Like cars a year or two older and far more miles for maybe £700 quid more than in England for better year and mileage. Why is this? Is it worth for a car worth about 3 grand getting one brought over. Does it cost much

deiseach

As I understand it, any car imported into the Republic from the UK has to have been registed in your name in the UK for the preceeding six months. Otherwise you'll get hammered when you register the car down here

tommysmith

Quote from: deiseach on April 14, 2011, 03:28:35 PM
As I understand it, any car imported into the Republic from the UK has to have been registed in your name in the UK for the preceeding six months. Otherwise you'll get hammered when you register the car down here

She aint importing into the free state though.

AZOffaly

I don't think you get overly 'hammered' deiseach. There is a significant fee, but it is usually well worth it, in financial terms. The risk is around the quality of the car, and any problems you may have with it. Mightn't be as handy to talk to some giant car sales firm over in the UK.

deiseach

Quote from: tommysmith on April 14, 2011, 03:32:05 PM

She aint importing into the free state though.

Fair enough

deiseach

Quote from: AZOffaly on April 14, 2011, 03:41:23 PM

I don't think you get overly 'hammered' deiseach. There is a significant fee, but it is usually well worth it, in financial terms. The risk is around the quality of the car, and any problems you may have with it. Mightn't be as handy to talk to some giant car sales firm over in the UK.

I think you'd save money, but you'd have to buy the car six months before you'd get to use it!

AZOffaly

Quote from: deiseach on April 14, 2011, 03:44:58 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on April 14, 2011, 03:41:23 PM

I think you'd save money, but you'd have to buy the car six months before you'd get to use it!

Nope. Several fellas I know have gotten the boat over, and drove back in their new car. My brother in law did it, and a lad here in work did it just a month ago. The C&E lads are waiting for you, and you can expect to get stopped on the road if you don't re-register quick sharp, but it's still worthwhile.

supersarsfields

Bought a car over in England at the start of the year. Brought it over in the Ferry for about £80. Then registered it over here with the Dvlni for free. Job done!!

If I was buying the same car over here I was pricing it at the guts of £1000 dearer. And this wasn't a high end car.

Radda bout yeee

No first hand experience but I've always heard that English second hand cars are better due to better roads leading to better care for the car.

Radda bout yeee

Quote from: supersarsfields on April 14, 2011, 03:50:15 PM
Bought a car over in England at the start of the year. Brought it over in the Ferry for about £80. Then registered it over here with the Dvlni for free. Job done!!

If I was buying the same car over here I was pricing it at the guts of £1000 dearer. And this wasn't a high end car.

what car was she if you don't mind telling me.

tyrone girl

Quote from: supersarsfields on April 14, 2011, 03:50:15 PM

Sounds good. The cars im looking at over here for for the same mileage and year are seeming to be at least £800 more. Just wasnt sure how costly to get it over here.

thebigfella

Make sure they run on the red before you buy  ;)

NAG1

Easyjet single way in boat home should be handy enough
seems to be alot of cars be bought out of scotland at the moment too

supersarsfields

Quote from: Radda bout yeee on April 14, 2011, 03:50:22 PM
No first hand experience but I've always heard that English second hand cars are better due to better roads leading to better care for the car.

They usually have higher milage than your average car over here. But you can pick up ex lease vehicles that usually have their full service history for alot cheaper. Well worth it if you ask me!!

Bought a mondeo titanium 2008 for 6000 Radda. Highish miles at 92k but as I said the miles are less of an issue on the uk vehicles as a majority are usually motorway miles. Had full service history as well as timing belt change. 

Hereiam

T.G have bought my last 2 cars over in liverpool/wigan and I have never had any problem with them. Flew over with easyjet and back on the ferry all in one day. Have heard the horror stories but if a deal seems to good to be true its one to stay away from. Will never buy a car in the north again. On my first car I drove from liverpool to stranrar up the M6, great drive on great roads.