Which of these changes would you agree with and in what order?

Started by sligoman2, September 12, 2018, 12:58:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Which of these changes would you agree with and in what order?

All kick outs must pass the 50 yard line
6 (15%)
2 points for a point kicked from play from outside the 50 yard line
6 (15%)
4 players must remain inside the opponents half at all time
2 (5%)
Maximum of 3 hand passes which must be followed by a footpass/kick
3 (7.5%)
Marks for balls caught over the head from a footpass in any area of the pitch
1 (2.5%)
Make 4 step rule 6 steps and enforce
1 (2.5%)
Once ball enters opponents half it can not be played back beyond the half way line
4 (10%)
Black card also includes a 10 minute sin bin before replacement player is allowed
5 (12.5%)
Allow the ball to be picked off the ground
0 (0%)
2 refs for all county games
2 (5%)
Use a clock that stops at the refs signal for any reason and game ends when ball goes out of bounds after time expires
6 (15%)
All of the above..
4 (10%)

Total Members Voted: 40

sligoman2

I've put up some suggestions on how to attempt to improve the debacle that Gaelic football has become.  Vote for your favourites proposal and list the changes you agree with in order and those you agree with in order.

I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Rossfan

Ye don't seem to have gone metric yet in Shligo  ;D
Agree with 2 points from outside 45
Also limit to handpass, 6 steps enforced rule and no passing back over half way line (I'd make it every line excent opponents 13 and 20).
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

South Laois man

The one about keeping 4 players in the opposition half is a no brained. It has to brought in. I wouldn't like to see the mark brought in. If they changed the 4 step rule to 6 players would just end up taking 8 or 10. Not allowing the backwards kick is another good one. Refs aren't consistent enough with the black card. To make it easier I'd change it to a back card if your denying a goal scoring opportunity. The black card would mean your sin binned for 10 mins and then the same player comes back on. A second black card would result in a red.

LeoMc

Quote from: South Laois man on September 12, 2018, 01:28:21 PM
The one about keeping 4 players in the opposition half is a no brained. It has to brought in. I wouldn't like to see the mark brought in. If they changed the 4 step rule to 6 players would just end up taking 8 or 10. Not allowing the backwards kick is another good one. Refs aren't consistent enough with the black card. To make it easier I'd change it to a back card if your denying a goal scoring opportunity. The black card would mean your sin binned for 10 mins and then the same player comes back on. A second black card would result in a red.

I am not so sure about that one. IF any team was brave / foolhardy enough to push everyone forward they would have a 3 man overlap. It would force the defending team to retreat even further to keep out goals.

sligoman2

Quote from: LeoMc on September 12, 2018, 01:47:44 PM
Quote from: South Laois man on September 12, 2018, 01:28:21 PM

I am not so sure about that one. IF any team was brave / foolhardy enough to push everyone forward they would have a 3 man overlap. It would force the defending team to retreat even further to keep out goals.

Sorry Leo let me clarify that, both teams must have at least 4 players in both halves of the field - so the 3 man overlap would not be an option. I know there are other threads on this subject but  I thought it best to put up all the proposals in one place so everyone could see them without having to flick through pages upon pages.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Esmarelda

Get rid of the steps as there are big steps and little steps, walking steps and sprinting steps, and then the standing still time. Change it to three seconds. Three seconds = three seconds regardless of size, pace or movement. Otherwise I'd go with the two refs (we currently have three at intercounty level of course) and sin bin.

BennyCake

1. Two points for outside the 50
2. I'd go further and limit hand passes to two, or even one
3. The clock thing

thewobbler

Quote from: BennyCake on September 12, 2018, 05:24:24 PM
3. The clock thing

Kicking points is wonderful.

But isn't more than a tad unfair to reward people who are born with an exceptionally long kick, with a 100% mark up on their value, than those who aren't blessed with such a cannon?

I know everyone can improve or optimise their kicking technique. But in my experience, the fellas who could kick it furthest at under-12, continue to do so at adult level.

seafoid

0. Define and police the tackle
1. Sin bin
2. Clock
3. Kick outs 50 yards
4. 2 points for score from 50 yards
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

BennyCake

Quote from: thewobbler on September 12, 2018, 05:32:44 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 12, 2018, 05:24:24 PM
3. The clock thing

Kicking points is wonderful.

But isn't more than a tad unfair to reward people who are born with an exceptionally long kick, with a 100% mark up on their value, than those who aren't blessed with such a cannon?

I know everyone can improve or optimise their kicking technique. But in my experience, the fellas who could kick it furthest at under-12, continue to do so at adult level.

It's more to draw out defences and stop the blanket. It's very easy to sit in front of your own goals with 15 men. But it won't pay off if you have teams kicking 2 pointers.

I mean, in reality how many 50+ points are scored per game? One maybe, if that.

tonto1888

The 50 yards one. How does that work? Do we have a straight line across the pitch 50 years form goal? Or a semi circle based on a 50 yard radius?

trailer

No rule changes needed. Championship restructured. Then teams will believe they can win and therefore will go out and compete to do so. Div 3 or 4 teams can't beat Div 1 or 2 teams without trying to close the game down and not concede. That simple change would dramatically change the quality of games served up.

Rossfan

Maybe you might share this magic bullet with the rest of us.

Syferus

Quote from: Rossfan on September 12, 2018, 10:00:06 PM
Maybe you might share this magic bullet with the rest of us.

You've been told it a million times already so why would anyone expect you to actually listen this time?

Rossfan