Dublin v Tyrone. 11/02/17. Croke Park, Dublin.

Started by omagh_gael, February 06, 2017, 12:14:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

I honestly believe Derry would have beaten Dublin last year

vallankumous

Quote from: JoG2 on February 15, 2017, 08:20:50 AM
I honestly believe Derry would have beaten Dublin last year

I agree and I can prove it.

take_yer_points

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 14, 2017, 10:40:03 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 14, 2017, 10:02:05 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on February 14, 2017, 09:43:30 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 14, 2017, 09:35:01 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on February 14, 2017, 09:24:18 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 14, 2017, 09:17:50 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on February 14, 2017, 09:01:33 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 14, 2017, 08:30:04 PM
Quote from: rrhf on February 14, 2017, 07:36:58 PM
I have enjoyed the domination of the Dubs as much as the next man, but I honestly believe we would have beat them last year or if we get to meet them this year in the championship.  Its fecking Mayo we cant beat.  Some day Mayo are going to meet Tyrone in a final.  What the hell happens then?

Based on what? Give me one piece of evidence to prove this? Examle(s)?
There you go again

I'll give you some if you can tell me how to prove something that will happen in the future?

Well, this is where form comes into place. You look at results in Championship. You look at recent Ulster titles won. You look at games where they beat top sides in AI Quarter finals and Semi finals. You just can't say this team will do this and that team will do that without backing it up with solid stats? Or just because Uncle Peter said so!

So form and stats prove the future now do they?

Ive been over this with you before....but you cant seem to help yourself

Ok, I'll lay it out there for you. Tyrone in Championship football have only beaten Monaghan in Croker in recent years. They have won one Ulster title in 6 years. I can't remember when they last played Dublin in Championship. Definitely not since 2011. Running Dublin Close in a League Match in February is a different Animal to meeting them in September. I believe they are not far (if not over the line) in beating the Kerrys never mind the Mayo's and Donegals of this world. This is not a put down, more a reality check. And god knows as a Mayo man we've had a bucket full down the years.

Thats great...now can you leave Tyrone, Monaghan, Mayo, Dublin and even football aside for a moment.

And tell me how to prove a future event is going to happen

I'm not telling you how a future event is going to happen, I've told you of recent past events that have.  Your Colleagues have been doing a lot of predicting the last couple of pages. All I was looking for was proof! You don't want to go down that road and  gone of on your own Tangent and good luck to you.

No your not telling us but you want evidence that is going to prove that Tyrone are going to beat Dublin, that is an event in the future is it not?

I'll make it easy for you, show me a case where evidence  proved a result before it happened.

Presumably they called off this match as playing it would have been pointless with the result already known?

I've a few prematch text messages on my phone from over the years about the results of Glenavon, Dungannon Swifts and Armagh City on the last day of the season. Does that count?

tonto1888

Quote from: omaghjoe on February 14, 2017, 10:40:03 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 14, 2017, 10:02:05 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on February 14, 2017, 09:43:30 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 14, 2017, 09:35:01 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on February 14, 2017, 09:24:18 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 14, 2017, 09:17:50 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on February 14, 2017, 09:01:33 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on February 14, 2017, 08:30:04 PM
Quote from: rrhf on February 14, 2017, 07:36:58 PM
I have enjoyed the domination of the Dubs as much as the next man, but I honestly believe we would have beat them last year or if we get to meet them this year in the championship.  Its fecking Mayo we cant beat.  Some day Mayo are going to meet Tyrone in a final.  What the hell happens then?

Based on what? Give me one piece of evidence to prove this? Examle(s)?
There you go again

I'll give you some if you can tell me how to prove something that will happen in the future?

Well, this is where form comes into place. You look at results in Championship. You look at recent Ulster titles won. You look at games where they beat top sides in AI Quarter finals and Semi finals. You just can't say this team will do this and that team will do that without backing it up with solid stats? Or just because Uncle Peter said so!

So form and stats prove the future now do they?

Ive been over this with you before....but you cant seem to help yourself

Ok, I'll lay it out there for you. Tyrone in Championship football have only beaten Monaghan in Croker in recent years. They have won one Ulster title in 6 years. I can't remember when they last played Dublin in Championship. Definitely not since 2011. Running Dublin Close in a League Match in February is a different Animal to meeting them in September. I believe they are not far (if not over the line) in beating the Kerrys never mind the Mayo's and Donegals of this world. This is not a put down, more a reality check. And god knows as a Mayo man we've had a bucket full down the years.

Thats great...now can you leave Tyrone, Monaghan, Mayo, Dublin and even football aside for a moment.

And tell me how to prove a future event is going to happen

I'm not telling you how a future event is going to happen, I've told you of recent past events that have.  Your Colleagues have been doing a lot of predicting the last couple of pages. All I was looking for was proof! You don't want to go down that road and  gone of on your own Tangent and good luck to you.

No your not telling us but you want evidence that is going to prove that Tyrone are going to beat Dublin, that is an event in the future is it not?

I'll make it easy for you, show me a case where evidence  proved a result before it happened.

Presumably they called off this match as playing it would have been pointless with the result already known?

Give us something to give credence to the statement that Tyrone would have beaten Dublin last year had they met

Fuzzman

OmaghJoe

I think what he means is can you provide some evidence is the form such as
1. Mayo lost to Galway last year in Connacht so it's logical that they went on to draw with Dublin in the AI final.
2. Mayo have drawn with Dublin twice now in the last 2 years so this is evidence they will probably win the AI this year
3. Mayo have been the most consistent team since the new millennium getting to 5 finals so they are bound to win it
    some time soon.

Zulu

Fuzzman, are actually defending the comments of omagejoe and rrhf? It's bizarre to claim Tyrone would have beaten Dublin last year or that they could on the basis of a league game in February which was only the second of 2017 for most Dublin players. Dublin could be beaten by 4 or 5 teams this year but it's unlikely and there is nothing we've seen from anybody in the past two years to say it's likely.

Fuzzman

Jeepers lads, show a bit of wit would ye. Of course the game on Sat night tells us very little about how the same two teams would fair later on in the year. Neither team were at full strength and Tyrone lost one of their better defenders and forwards during the game.

Dublin are unbeaten in 31 games now and you would imagine they are still favourites for Sam in 2017 with Mayo and Kerry a close 2nd and 3rd as both teams have got close to them in recent years.
Last year a lot of neutrals wanted to see Tyrone play the Dubs to see could their style of play beat them but it never happened. Tyrone are a very young team who are making progress but I think we lack 1 or 2 forwards to win an AI, a bit like Mayo. The big question is can a team beat the Dubs playing that style of football without good forwards and a great free taker.

From the Bunker

Now we are talking sense. No harm in having ambition and willing your county on. But there is also blinkered reality that can create a hyperbole of what you county can achieve.

Zulu

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 15, 2017, 11:19:44 AM
Jeepers lads, show a bit of wit would ye. Of course the game on Sat night tells us very little about how the same two teams would fair later on in the year. Neither team were at full strength and Tyrone lost one of their better defenders and forwards during the game.

Dublin are unbeaten in 31 games now and you would imagine they are still favourites for Sam in 2017 with Mayo and Kerry a close 2nd and 3rd as both teams have got close to them in recent years.
Last year a lot of neutrals wanted to see Tyrone play the Dubs to see could their style of play beat them but it never happened. Tyrone are a very young team who are making progress but I think we lack 1 or 2 forwards to win an AI, a bit like Mayo. The big question is can a team beat the Dubs playing that style of football without good forwards and a great free taker.

I actually think Tyrone are going about it all wrong. Tyrone's forwards might not be top class but they aren't bad and are probably better than most other teams. However, asking them to run up and down Croke Park and harry opponents all day is bound to impact upon their accuracy and distance. The one thing that is almost certain is that Tyrone won't beat Dublin playing like they do. That system is a busted flush and will only keep you close to the big teams, especially if you don't have 2 or 3 special forwards. But a full strength Dublin, Kerry or Mayo will breakdown a massed defence in the height of summer and Tyrone's style means Tyrone supporters will be on here bemoaning some bad misses and balls dropped short after a 1 or 2 point defeat to a big gun.

I think a more self confident and adventurous approach would serve Tyrone better.

sid waddell

Tyrone will cause Dublin serious problems if they meet them in the All-Ireland semi-final.

Five meetings between the two since Jim Gavin took over and Dublin are one point ahead on aggregate, notching two one point wins in 2013 and 2014. And most of those matches were with considerably inferior Tyrone teams to what currently exists - and Dublin were probably better in 2013 and 2014 than they are now.

macdanger2

Did Longford not beat them in the O'Byrne cup final last year?

twohands!!!

Sean Cavanagh had an interview in the Examiner today and he quoted the fact that Tyrone scored 1-7 from 28 efforts against Dublin.

You could maybe write it off as one bad game but this Tyrone have had a number of games where they have had shooting returns well below the other serious contenders.

It's generally teams with the best attacks that win all-Ireland, not the best defence, so unless Tyrone get very lucky I don't rate them as a genuine All-Ireland contender.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

cuconnacht

Quote from: ONeill on February 15, 2017, 03:04:48 PMThat hoor Russell Grant hasn't replied yet
Just as I predicted but didnt bother too as I knew you knew. :)

trileacman

Quote from: Zulu on February 15, 2017, 01:00:27 PM

I actually think Tyrone are going about it all wrong. Tyrone's forwards might not be top class but they aren't bad and are probably better than most other teams. However, asking them to run up and down Croke Park and harry opponents all day is bound to impact upon their accuracy and distance. The one thing that is almost certain is that Tyrone won't beat Dublin playing like they do. That system is a busted flush and will only keep you close to the big teams, especially if you don't have 2 or 3 special forwards. But a full strength Dublin, Kerry or Mayo will breakdown a massed defence in the height of summer and Tyrone's style means Tyrone supporters will be on here bemoaning some bad misses and balls dropped short after a 1 or 2 point defeat to a big gun.

I think a more self confident and adventurous approach would serve Tyrone better.

That's hyperbole. It's not all wrong, they have their defence plan sorted reasonably well its just the balance that is awry at the minute between attack and defence. I've seen us several times down the years have real bother getting the balance right. Armagh replay 05 and Westmeath 08. Up till those dates Tyrone were playing well but the team wasn't just clicking into the right gears. It was luck more than anything that those teams just fell into a comfortable and ultimately successful AI winning style.

The system is reasonably sound, just needs a few tweaks, just as Mayo's the past 5 years has too.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014