"Underage games toughest to ref"

Started by Abble, May 13, 2008, 07:53:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abble

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/7396731.stm

have to agree....reffed at underage myself for one year hoping to maybe progress over a few years through to senior eventually.
unfortunately my head was wrecked with parents shouting from the lines.

i'd be doing an u-12 game.....wee lads just looking for a bit of craic, play some football and enjoy themselves. then if some decision did not go the way of a team or more likely some parents son, then you'd be let know about it, next thing the abuse is raised a notch, getting into more serious territory.....all the while, the wee lads are hearing this....what must they be wondering and then they have to be thinking, "do, i really want to play gaelic?" if my mummy or daddy is shouting all this over a simple mistake.

i knew things were only going to get worse as i've seen some abuse handed out to refs further on up to senior.....so it wasn't worth it....all i wanted to do was help officiate a few underage games initially and theres no way its worth it.

another thing, when the young players on the pitch hear the abuse from the lines from their parents, then who follows suit ? yes, the young players and then the discipline is totally out the window and once they get away with it once then they'll continue on with it

Goats Do Shave

To be fair you'd be a woeful ref!!!  :D

rrhf

Surely there has to be a clause about bringing the game into disrepute for referees.  Aaargh!

Zapatista

Chittychitty Bang Bang

Child Catcher: There are children here somewhere. I can smell them. :o

thejuice

But seriously it is a problem, I've seen parents rightly thrown of the premises of under-age games. I know its tough but I think the decent parents need to stand up to those shouting and tell them to shut up or leave. Some of the things thats said shouldnt be said around kids, and it just brings a horrible athmosphere to the games.  Its no surprise that certain players have a terrible attitude to referees later on if their parents carried on like this.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

orangeman

If an intercounty referee can't handle under 12 challenge matches, he should pack it in, go home, stay at home and take up tiddly winks !

Zapatista

Quote from: orangeman on May 13, 2008, 09:30:12 AM
If an intercounty referee can't handle under 12 challenge matches, he should pack it in, go home, stay at home and take up tiddly winks !

Fair enough but if it is a place for training up new refs and they are packing it in due to parents then that is a concern.

orangeman

Quote from: Zapatista on May 13, 2008, 09:37:51 AM

Fair enough but if it is a place for training up new refs and they are packing it in due to parents then that is a concern.

You're right but if Hughes can't handle it, he should just forget about it !

Main Street

Quote from: orangeman on May 13, 2008, 09:38:47 AM

Abuse at an u12 challenge game?
Why should Hughes tolerate severe abuse from the parents?
He handled it quite fine.
Every ref should act in a similar manner at underage games if faced with abusive parents.

Zapatista

Quote from: Main Street on May 13, 2008, 11:18:22 AM
Quote from: orangeman on May 13, 2008, 09:38:47 AM

Abuse at an u12 challenge game?
Why should Hughes tolerate severe abuse from the parents?
He handled it quite fine.
Every ref should act in a similar manner at underage games if faced with abusive parents.

This is quite well documented in a Simpsons episode. Flanders gives in to Homers abuse and it turns out to be a catastrophe. "Flaaaaannnnnddeerrrrrrrrrssssss!!!!!!!"

screenexile

I remember an U12 Championship final that our club played in against the Underage kingpins at the time about 13 odd years ago and when our Full Forward was kicking a penalty he was berated by the crowd of the opposing team and a well known club official who is a teacher of secondary school children proceeded to call him a w**ker right up until he hit the back of the net. We won the game anyway!!

When I was U12 I played in a county Hurling final only for the 2 opposing managers to have a full on fist fight on the sideline which resulted in them wrestling eachother onto the middle of the pitch and the game having to be stopped until it was sorted out!

U12 is every bit as crazy as Senior to a lot of people and I do not find this article surprising at all. I think something MAJOR needs to be done for people to get a bit of perspective and to realise that U12 is about the kid's enjoyment of the game and not winning a feckin championship... has anyone ever watched the Mighty Ducks??!!

rrhf

Im sure they are tough, I doubt very much  Hughes ever has had to walk off the pitch during a local under 12 game -  If he has trouble then he should not be at any level above that.  I think hes made an error of judgement here as this PR drive will only lose him respect. 

magpie seanie

Hughes is a shite referee and that's probably the biggest problem.

themanwhowasntthere

Add in the fact that, at U-12 level, there are frequently more mentors on the pitch, reliving their so-called playing days, than there are players on the pitch - sometimes it's hard to keep the game going for the kids, due to the numbers of wannabee adults on the field, all of whom are usually screaming & shouting.

stew

I am coaching a girls U14 team in the aul sawker this year, this past Saturday the parents of the opposing team were so bad from the line that the referee stopped the game and abandoned the match,strangely enough he didnt like the parents shouting to their kids to 'break the f**king bitches leg' etc. The game was forty minutes old when this happened and they were getting stuffed 5-1 at the time.

The referee was called all sorts of things, one of my kids got slapped in the bake and another one got spat on, i didnt know this until the match was abandoned.

Referees need to be protected from abuse, how we have people still willing to ref games is beyond me, fair play to them all.............. except for that bastard gobshite Bannon. ;)
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.