Influences on youngsters playing and staying with a defined sport?

Started by From the Bunker, April 24, 2023, 11:22:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onefineday

Quote from: marty34 on April 30, 2023, 08:15:35 AM
The whole point of TG4 is to provide an Irish language service, regardless of the content.

Just because it's in Irish (and no other option available) means I'm not going to watch it.

I know no-one who has said I'm not watching that league game because it's in Irish. Are people on here saying they can't follow a game and see what's happeing bacause of the language?

Remember it was TG4 who brought the club scene alive then AIB came on board with the marketing.

The clue is in the name of the station.
I'd be pretty confident that the fact games are exclusively in Irish significantly detracts from viewership.
And as for the clue being in the name, are you trying to claim that the channel doesn't broadcast many programmes in English only?
As I mentioned previously, the station is required to broadcast a min no. of hours of Irish language each day - live sports are a relatively cheap and attractive way of doing that, precisely because viewers can tell what is going on without the commentary, but there's no doubt that good commentary adds significantly to the viewing experience, so the package would be more attractive if we had an English option

marty34

Quote from: onefineday on May 01, 2023, 12:54:23 AM
The whole point of TG4 is to provide an Irish language service, regardless of the content.

Just because it's in Irish (and no other option available) means I'm not going to watch it.

I know no-one who has said I'm not watching that league game because it's in Irish. Are people on here saying they can't follow a game and see what's happeing bacause of the language?

Remember it was TG4 who brought the club scene alive then AIB came on board with the marketing.

I'd be pretty confident that the fact games are exclusively in Irish significantly detracts from viewership.
And as for the clue being in the name, are you trying to claim that the channel doesn't broadcast many programmes in English only?
As I mentioned previously, the station is required to broadcast a min no. of hours of Irish language each day - live sports are a relatively cheap and attractive way of doing that, precisely because viewers can tell what is going on without the commentary, but there's no doubt that good commentary adds significantly to the viewing experience, so the package would be more attractive if we had an English option

As I say the clue's in the name.  It's promoting Gaelic games and Laochra Gael etc. in Irish and you want the option in English.

Wtf?

onefineday

Quote from: marty34 on May 01, 2023, 11:03:11 AM
Quote from: onefineday on May 01, 2023, 12:54:23 AM

As I say the clue's in the name.  It's promoting Gaelic games and Laochra Gael etc. in Irish and you want the option in English.

Wtf?
TG4 is about promoting the Irish language, it has no remit with regards to promoting gaelic games - it covers gaelic games as they are an efficient way of it meeting its statutory requirements to broadcast a minimum number of hours per day in the Irish language, whilst also having decent appeal to viewers that will help generate commercial income and subsidise other programming.
I'm not clear why the suggestion for an english language option is so terrifying - one could argue that it might help people transition and therefore align better with the long term goals of promoting the Irish language, for example if it were primarily english with a good sprinkling of gaelige thrown in, you'd think that would raise awareness and understanding.
Forcing the irish language down people's throats most patently doesn't work - the last 100 years of experience here in the south that show that, what's to fear about increasing choice?

onefineday

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on May 01, 2023, 10:53:45 AM
Quote from: onefineday on May 01, 2023, 12:34:06 AM
Quote from: Rossfan on April 30, 2023, 09:16:42 AM
Never ceases to amaze me at the number of "gaels" who moan about matches i nGaeilge ar TelefĂ­s Gaeilge!!
Never ceases to amaze me when people jump in with comments without bothering to inform themselves on the context.
Someone pointed out that having so much of our non championship gaa broadcast exclusively as gaeilge was not conducive to attracting kids used to the razzmatazz of the premier/champions league to follow games - some of us agreed and I suggested that a duel language option would be the ideal solution. I'm not entirely clear on why that is a problem.
So much of our championship/non-championship GAA broadcasting is behind a paywall. If the GAA saw such to be a vehicle for enticing young people into the sport, surely they would make it free?
And surely that's where you should be directing your argument. Rather than attempting to undermine the cornerstone of the only Irish language station there is.
Ask questions of RTE and BBC and indeed the GAA as to why they aren't doing more to promote our games.
And I can tell you this for free.....not one child is gonna take up Gaelic games by listening to Dessie Dolan or Marty Morrissey talk pure scutter for 70 minutes.
I agree with you that the gaago decision is ridiculous from a promotional point of view, i absolutely disagree that the package in english wouldn't be a more attractive package, therefore enhancing the attractiveness of gaa to all.  But, probably time to agree to disagree on this.