County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Owenmoresider

Good appointment for us. Has a fair bit of work to do after the last few years of sharp decline but has the pedigree to point us in the right direction. Getting everyone on board is important but getting the S&C right will be vital, it always struck me that our teams looked smaller and lighter than most opponents and it has certainly been a factor in our fall, it was an area we certainly didn't lack in when we matched Tony and co. on both days in 2002.

I'd imagine O'Hara isn't too impressed in being passed over.

FermGael

Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 26, 2020, 08:17:15 PM
Quote from: FermGael on November 26, 2020, 08:04:47 PM
Tony McEntee confirmed as the new Sligo manager.
Div 4 the place to be it seems
Fermanaghs objective for 2021?

Seems to be the plan and then we announce Jim Galvin
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

on the sideline

Quote from: FermGael on November 26, 2020, 09:36:51 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on November 26, 2020, 08:17:15 PM
Quote from: FermGael on November 26, 2020, 08:04:47 PM
Tony McEntee confirmed as the new Sligo manager.
Div 4 the place to be it seems
Fermanaghs objective for 2021?

Seems to be the plan and then we announce Jim Galvin

Has Joe McMahon left Fermanagh to go into the Tyrone backroom team? If he has will Ricey be staying on or who will he bring in to replace McMahon?

SLIGONIAN

I am disappointed with O Hara being overlooked. Leonard the chairman a Tourlestrane man overlooking O Hara doesn't add up. Questions need to be asked. He is one of our own. He would know more of the players and talent pool in Sligo than McEntee. He would get the Tourlestrane contingent more involved. O Hara is not perfect but has more advantages. He has won 5 in a row at club level which is unheard of.

There has to be more to this to why O Hara didn't get it. Leonard will try to waffle his way out of telling the truth.

No experience as an Intercounty Manager means as this is his first job as Intercounty Manager none of us can predict with any great certainty if it will work out. Again we are taking a chance although I would be more confident of this one working out than previous.

The question remains of how we managed to regress with Joe Keane still involved. It remains unanswered so the continuity there is a concern. Will McEntee turn the tide more than Taylor, Dineen and John Mac. Who will be his other selector.

However that being said - I am happy with this appointment to a point. Oisin McConvilles article on McEntee talks of a very astute, honest, direct straight talker and an organized, and data driven approach with him.

He was very close to getting the Monaghan job in 2019 and was offered the Down Job in 2014 but declined. Managed Cross to 2 All Irelands in 2011 and 2012. Obviously selector and coach with Mayo under Rochford for 3 years.

3 Year plan is a lot but to build anything worthwhile you need time. I am surprised he went for us but I'd say Keane was in his ear as they worked together before.

The main reason I like this Appointment is Tony's character is exactly what is needed and his knowledge of setups and the game. As a player, he always made the right decisions on the ball. His shot selection was second to none.

Welcome to Sligo Tony and best of luck. Promotion from Div 4 to 2 and a Connacht senior Title would be lovely within 3 years.

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Angelo

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 26, 2020, 10:25:30 PM

The main reason I like this Appointment is Tony's character is exactly what is needed and his knowledge of setups and the game. As a player, he always made the right decisions on the ball. His shot selection was second to none.

Think you might be getting Tony mixed up with John. Tony was a bit of a work horse whereas John was the playmaker with a fantastic left foot.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Angelo on November 26, 2020, 10:44:09 PM

Think you might be getting Tony mixed up with John. Tony was a bit of a work horse whereas John was the playmaker with a fantastic left foot.
Come to think of it, you are right, apologies, it's John I remember from 20 years ago, thank you. They are twins is my only excuse.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Mikhailov

Angelo, you must have been some player for Tyrone if you describe Tony Mac as a work horse.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Mikhailov on November 26, 2020, 11:29:23 PM

Angelo, you must have been some player for Tyrone if you describe Tony Mac as a work horse.

For anyone to say Tony was a work horse shows their lack of knowledge of what a good footballer is. Tony was blessed/cursed with the ability to have the skills to play in every position and he did play everywhere. An uncanny reading of the game, could spray passes as well as John but rarely did as he simply gave it to John. His cross field switch balls were a dream as they landed just in the sweet spot, close enough to get to, far enough away from the defender. He was a real Rolls Royce of a player.

If the Sligo lads buy into what he is saying he will get them moving. If they commit to work hard and listen he will get them promoted. If they leave their egos at the door they will really develop. If O Hara keeps his mouth shut on the Sunday Game and lets him have his chance Tony will develop Sligo well.

So long as he stops Louth getting promoted under Harte I'll be a happy man ;) ;D

imtommygunn

To be fair to O'Hara I would blame Des Cahill for goading him into that outburst. He really showed himself up with that one IMO.

Anyway that's a good appointment. There's always good footballers in Sligo so be interesting to see what he does. If he gets them promoted from division 4 all I hope is it's not at the expense of Antrim :D

Angelo

Players moving against Peter Keane in Kerry?

Poor form if so.

Angelo

Quote from: Mikhailov on November 26, 2020, 11:29:23 PM

That's the role he played for Armagh, he was that third midfielder who got on a lot of breaking ball and kept things simple and was generally in and out of the team. He was a good player at what he did but John McEntee was certainly the more eye catching of the two and was a regular fixture at 11 where he was Armagh's chief playmaker.

He would have been similar to what Collie Holmes and Kevin Hughes were to Tyrone.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Angelo on November 27, 2020, 11:00:30 AM

Poor form if so.

A true story or made up rumour on whatsapp?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Angelo

Quote from: Blowitupref on November 27, 2020, 04:34:23 PM
Quote from: Angelo on November 27, 2020, 11:00:30 AM

Poor form if so.

A true story or made up rumour on whatsapp?

That's the rumour circulating whether there is much to it.

FermGael

Joe McMahon away to join the Tyrone backroom team .
Leaves his position as Fermanagh assistant manager .
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered