Has the intercounty system in football told us all it’s ever going to tell us?

Started by caprea, February 13, 2020, 05:38:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

caprea

Wrote a blog about this with the first few paragraphs below. You can read the rest here; https://t.co/AVIRD7wxVP?amp=1

I crunched some numbers on the composition of the Gaelic Football all star teams between 2000-2019. Breaking that 20 year period into 4 lots of 5 years I found the following: Between 2000-2004 eighteen counties were represented across those five years. Between 2004-2009 it dropped to thirteen counties. Between 2010-2014 it dropped to eleven. For the past five years it dropped to eight.
The next five years look almost certain for Dublin to take up where they left off and Kerry will be their only serious rival. Another drop in county representation on the all star teams by the end of 2024 looks likely.

Since 1887 the GAA have administered over intercounty all Ireland finals every year. In terms of titles won; Kerry ran away with it (28% of All Irelands have been won by Kerry). Dublin are closing in on them but still eight titles off from catching up. Everyone else either had their own era or eras or never quite made the grade. What exactly is the next five years going to prove if it turns out how it looks presently? What will we learn from another five years that Dublin dominated with the odd Kerry all Ireland thrown in? We already know from the past 132 years of All Irelands that Kerry and Dublin were historically the two most formidable sides. What does it prove to see them continue telling us what we already know?

The intercounty system seems to have told us all it can. It will have ran its course if the next decade is a Dublin and Kerry carve-up. Its history has told Kildare and Mayo that their huge enthusiasm outweighed their talent and ability to win. It told Cork and Galway that they can expect a great title winning team every twenty years or so. It told Donegal, Tyrone and Armagh that patience and dedication allied with skill can be rewarded. Every county found their rung on the ladder and there is no practical reason to keep with an outdated system of county boundaries that are centuries old.

RadioGAAGAA

All well and good saying something doesn't work.

But if ye don't suggest an alternative with some information to back it up, then whats the point?

[I have an opinion, many will disagree with it, but I'm interested in hearing yours first.]
i usse an speelchekor

caprea

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on February 13, 2020, 03:55:15 PM
All well and good saying something doesn't work.

But if ye don't suggest an alternative with some information to back it up, then whats the point?

[I have an opinion, many will disagree with it, but I'm interested in hearing yours first.]

Did you read the entire blog or just the bit I've attacked above? Not a confrontational question, just it would be explained in that better.

RadioGAAGAA

Nope, didn't have time. Maybe better just bullet pointing the suggestions here rather than require folks to go off to another website.
i usse an speelchekor

caprea

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on February 13, 2020, 05:19:13 PM
Nope, didn't have time. Maybe better just bullet pointing the suggestions here rather than require folks to go off to another website.

Listen you might be right, it's two clicks away and I like to get accurate numbers on the amount of the visits the piece would get. Not trying to be awkward.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

caprea

Quote from: Rossfan on February 13, 2020, 05:24:10 PM
You started the thread-just outline your solutions.

It's honestly best if you read the blog where all arguments are made rather than giving bullet points where I'll end up arguing points already addressed in the blog.

Eire90

what is the alternative a professional  american franchise system of like 8 teams using a draft from club players each season you will have 8 teams based throughout the country teams like the Tyrone titans  dublin capitols and the kildare kings and the belfast shamrocks and  the cork chiefs.

It would destroy gaelic football and turn it into a cooperate enterprise (Maybe it that already)  i see inter county games as the same as international sports its the representative game.

it think maybe something should be done to promote the club game  maybe the radical idea of reducing all club counties to 8 or 10 teams and getting tv deals then the county champs of each county got into the club champions league.

Eire90

An open draw like the fa cup would help smaller teams cause  a lucky draw and you could easily get to a quarter final and gives smaller country fans hope if dublin drew against kerry in the first round that is one of them out you could even do a double chance where the teams that lose in the 1st round play each other and losers are eliminated the winners play each other  then the losers meet the winners like in the down championship you have round 2a and round 2b only its done with 32 teams.

StephenC

Quote from: caprea on February 13, 2020, 05:34:43 PM

It's honestly best if you read the blog where all arguments are made rather than giving bullet points where I'll end up arguing points already addressed in the blog.

Smells like clickbait.

AFM

Quote from: StephenC on February 17, 2020, 11:29:07 AM
Quote from: caprea on February 13, 2020, 05:34:43 PM

Smells like clickbait.

Totally, no one should bite.

rosnarun

one of the most important things to remember about the GAA is how  Parochial it is . interfere with the county set up and there is no way of know will the people follow not immediately anyway.
If you werr to put Mayo and sligo together as a team MB 'AT the moment' there may be 2 sligo lads on the Team  so Mayo people would not object much but I can see it being of much interest to Sligonians and if it ws was completely open im not such many would care at all.
Its just the nature of GAA and it can be compare to makey up teams like Connaught Rugby who now only have a smattering of connaught players and Munster/Ulster are going the same way
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

trailer

Quote from: Eire90 on February 17, 2020, 11:06:38 AM
An open draw like the fa cup would help smaller teams cause  a lucky draw and you could easily get to a quarter final and gives smaller country fans hope if dublin drew against kerry in the first round that is one of them out you could even do a double chance where the teams that lose in the 1st round play each other and losers are eliminated the winners play each other  then the losers meet the winners like in the down championship you have round 2a and round 2b only its done with 32 teams.

Ach would ye ever f**k away off with this stupid idea. Only someone with mental capacity of a goat would keep saying this.

BennyCake

Quote from: Eire90 on February 17, 2020, 11:06:38 AM

I agree with this bit.

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM