Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ballboy on January 29, 2010, 01:40:31 PM
Guys, what do you make of the proposal to enter an amalgamation of the western division teams? Do you think it will get through?

I do not think it is a good idea, So three west sligo teams got relegated from the senior championship last year this is unfortunate but I don't think it means that football in west sligo is behind the rest of the county. Farnan's made the quarter finals the year before, Easkey are a strong outfit and on there day can beat anybody and Castleconnor can never be seen as a easy draw and are very hard to beat.
In certain other counties I know amalgamations work, but the players there would rarely get the chance to play senior championship with there club due to the number of clubs in the county and personally i feel it's harder for a team to progress through the grades in counties such as Kerry than Sligo. I believe that all the clubs in west sligo have a strong chance of making it into the senior championship. I think all the west sligo teams bar Enniscrone have played senior championship in the last ten years.

Also what happens if a west sligo team wins the intermediate championship next year, which I believe will happen. Do we revert back to existing structure?

Would this happen if all the teams in another division were relegated? I don't think so, I think it is a knee jerk reaction to the relegation of the teams and I don't think it should be passed.

Also another would the players give 100% with there own clubs when they know they can have a better chance with the amalgamation than there own clubs and risk loosing the amalgamation if there club gets promoted again? And could this create a split within the clubs team with lads getting on the amalgamation and others not?

Is it a wise move?
I thought about this proposal quite a bit, a few things trouble me. First thing is what exactly is going on in West Sligo, clearly theres a problem, is it population/emmigration, lack of work being done at underage, lack of volunteers, politics, etc... are they getting the support from County Board, Westies the man to answer that one. The almgamation is for Senior Championship, right?  but they cant go on represent Sligo in Connacht like South Kerry. Almagamation is only the short term solution until the problems are solved out West and theyre competing in Senior again. I agree with in principle to get the top 3 or 4 players in those clubs to play at Senior level thus a higher level. It wil improve them. Look the St Molaise Gaels one made us A standard underage at most ages, back in the senior championship aswell and we have more players involved in minor and u21 with Sligo than any other club. Ya we lose alot of players but the best, it makes them better and helps Sligo County teams. With us we are more united every year and its been a good thing. If Cliffoney Grange and Maugherow were seperate, Cliffoney would be strongest  ;), but may not even be senior and if we were, we'd be fighting relegation every yr.

I dont think they will vote it through. Too many clubs will vote against it, out of self interest rather than see it as a benefit to Sligo and challenge to be better. There are enough good GAA men out West to sort this out and if they think a amalagamation is right way forward and I think it should be supported for only the short term though.

"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Sligo team named,

Greene
Harrison C Davey Donovan
J Davey QUINN S Davey
Gilmartion B Murphy
EOH M Breheny C Finan
McGoldrick Sweeney McGee

Glad Quinn gets another shot at CHB. S Davey a suprise at HB but could be an innovative call, McGee, Finan and McGoldrick all starting good to see with C Davey at FB. Hope they all do well. Not sure about midfield, honestly cant remember ever seeing murphy in action... Have to say im happy with that team.

SLIGONIAN

Well lads, hope some of ye were at the game, supposed to a good performance especially 2nd half.  Leitrim 0-9 Sligo 1-12, S Davey did very well in HB line according to Dad. Quinn got sent off early 2nd half, I was told he got a yellow and then a red but all the people I spoke to said he only got 1 yellow so shouldnt of been sent off.Anyway no harm if the rest had to work harder. He went into a 5 min rant on corcoran then, Dad cant understand how the man gets a whistle, id agree, man is a disgrace to referring.

McGee played well again and got his scores. Breheny was the other main scoring threat.

Tony Taylor came on for some unknown reason actually put a bit of effort in like we know he can and did very well. Absolutely worthless if he decides the next day to be a spectator again.

Conor Davey would be a liability at FB against better opposition apparently but is young and has potential. Marren came on did well aswell, took his goal well. EOH got inj after 10mins, worrying and looks like the knee and you know EOH days are numbered sadly.

Didnt hear much about anyone else, but everyone worked hard and you cant ask for more. A bit of momentum going to Belfast. With the Sligo lads with IT doing well it will be hard to pick the squad. Im very optimistic for the NFL. I think we should aim for promotion and I think we'll be there or thereabouts. Dont really rate any of the teams in Div3 if im honest.

SLIGONIAN

Senior Championship Groups 2010

Johns/Curry/Calry

Tour/Tubber/Marys

SMG/Harps/Coolera

Balymote/Geevagh/Shams

Tough draw for us, we will be the underdogs.

magpie seanie

Tough draw for everyone. No bad teams in SFC nowadays and that's the way it should be. I think it will be very hard to predict 6 mever mind 8 of the quarter finalists.

In junior we got our semi final conqueres of last year, Shamrock Gaels, as well as Tubbercurry. Pats will be raging ot favourites for Junior A it must be noted though.

magpie seanie

I see our old friend from Friends of Sligo in Dublin got a rap on the knuckles from someone over getting the scorers in the Sligo game wrong. No surprise that he had included someone from south Sligo instead of a lad from north of the county! I thought he had said some while ago that they were scaling down their operations? He still keeps writing anyway!

SLIGONIAN

Sligo IT's Sigerson Cup quarter-final against Athlone IT has been
fixed for 2pm this Wednesday.
The Sligo side, managed by Michael Breslin and coached by John Kent,
will again travel to the Westmeath college for the last eight tie,
having beaten Garda College in the previous round in Templemore.
Sligo's Johnny Davey, Keelan Cawley, Gary Gaughan, Alan Costello,
Stephen Coen, Darren Kearins, Stephen Henry and Eoin McHugh are among
the IT Sligo squad, as are Leitrim pair Gary and Dermot Reynolds,
Seamus Ryder from Fermanagh, and Donegal's Shane Boyle, Ciaran Greene
and Christopher Murrin.

Best of luck to the Sligo lads on wednesday.

Westie

Good luck to Niall Judge also from the West of the county, though it is doubtful he will be playing due to the injury he received playing in the O'Byrne cup v Offaly.

interesting draws in the football....no groups of death this year I believe and too early to speculate.

btw I am not the Westie on the Hoganstand site......

Have to say I am not happy with the Sligo GAA website fixtures and results, a great website has been ruined because of this decision (why?) to move away from sportsmanager...very annoying looking at the minor results (hard to get to) and seeing a profile of Galway GAA on the sides...None in the paper on Monday either...still time to go back to the working system (just ask Mary Coughlan ;D )

magpie seanie

I hear that when the new system is properly up and running it will be as good and will cost zero as opposed to the 3-4 grand eSportsmanager was costing. I'm willing to hold judgement on it until things are rolling.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Westie on February 16, 2010, 05:25:33 PM
Good luck to Niall Judge also from the West of the county, though it is doubtful he will be playing due to the injury he received playing in the O'Byrne cup v Offaly.

interesting draws in the football....no groups of death this year I believe and too early to speculate.

btw I am not the Westie on the Hoganstand site......

Have to say I am not happy with the Sligo GAA website fixtures and results, a great website has been ruined because of this decision (why?) to move away from sportsmanager...very annoying looking at the minor results (hard to get to) and seeing a profile of Galway GAA on the sides...None in the paper on Monday either...still time to go back to the working system (just ask Mary Coughlan ;D )

I checked there again, didnt see any profiles of Galway gaa, also all the results of last weekend were up, SMG won 7-9 to 5-5 in minor league ;D.

If Seanies right, patience is a virtue.

Oh Im not the Sligonian on HS either, such a lunatic :P

Sligo folk should be more worried about the the hammering our u21s got last 3-17 to 1-4 last weekend,

magpie seanie

That's a disgraceful scoreline. I can only hope we were missing a few o the better lads and he gave a run out to everyone and the other team didn't. Somehow I feel that mightn't be the case.

Mano

What do people expect given the way the manager was selected and the length of time given to prepare the team. There was an alternative manager who was going to the u-20 club games (unlike the current manager) who wanted the job (unlike the current manager) and was overlooked because of issues with the county board chairman.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Mano on February 17, 2010, 12:20:26 PM
What do people expect given the way the manager was selected and the length of time given to prepare the team. There was an alternative manager who was going to the u-20 club games (unlike the current manager) who wanted the job (unlike the current manager) and was overlooked because of issues with the county board chairman.

I'm well aware of that and so I think is Sligonian. I saw the man in question at the U-20 final and assumed he was getting the job. Didn't realise the powers that be would be dead set against allowing him take the job to such an extent that they'd make this much of a hames of it. I'd safely say they are regretting it now. Meanwhile the big loser is Sligo football and the lads on this panel.

Westie

Mano - you are correct and he wasn't even interviewed I believe for it and I think most of the county knows it....Hard on the lads that are there though

Don't think  they regret it though Seanie,,well not all of them

SLIGONIAN

Everyone knows Brennan wasnt interviewed and everyone knows murphy fell out with Brennan before and held it against him. It sickens me the way Murphy went about it. Murphy doesnt have Sligo best interests at heart and the sooner hes gone the better. Some fools in Sligo think Murphy is  hero when hes only a hero to looking after no1. Jonston was never the man for the job. An insult to Sligo GAA that. What is wrong with people I even seen it on here aswell from time to time, why cant people put Sligo first themselves second, is it so hard?

Its the players I feel sorry for with the u21s, lack of preparation is a joke, losing to likes of Louth by that margin is not a good idicator, I know Burns, the 2 Gilsenans and J Kelly were playing from my club. Only thing that will save us is Carrick is a tight pitch and space is at a premuim...