St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

SLIGONIAN

On the club front our lads have turned a corner recently, good against a weakened johns last weekend and easkey before that, with the u21s back its been a big boost, manager despite is shortcomings is putting alot of effort in so should be credited for that, should stay up now in div2 now. Our inters will struglle in div3, just not good enough but giving it there all.

Just going through the results on sligogaa.ie a big rivalry in Coolera/strandhill v marys was renewed at minor level, unbelievable scoreline,

Coolera 3-16 Marys 3-15 ft, seanie were you at it, some game?.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

There's a bit of confusion about that scoreline. We thought it was 3-14 to 2-15 but either way it was savage stuff. Couldn't be at it unfortunately. Our minors are out of the league as we had a few shaky results and performances early on. We reckon we've a decent team though and beating Mary's was good for them even if they had qualified already. Now we've almost a four month break from competitive action - what do you do with that?

Owenmoresider

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 20, 2009, 12:26:22 AM
Now we've almost a four month break from competitive action - what do you do with that?
It's an issue that could be raised at the Minor Board meetings I'm sure.

SLIGONIAN

Great new initiative that will help Sligo GAA big time, fair play to those involved, id ask all those connected with Sligo GAA to pass on the word and any of the posters on here outside the county who know any Sligonians who'd be interested in supporting to spread the word aswell.

On this Thursday April 23rd at 8pm in Sligo Park Hotel we will have the launch of a new vision for Sligo GAA its " Club Sligo "  Its County ,National and Global no matter where you reside and you want to be, a Sligo Gael      click on www.sligogaa.ie/clubsligo

The concept of  Club Sligo is an exciting initiative and draws together a coherent vision for the GAA in Sligo with a structured approach to raising the level of funds necessary to achieve this vision

So what can you do for Sligo your county ? -- Club Sligo will enable you to make a difference. Through Membership of  Club Sligo you can/will play a vital role in the future development of Gaelic Games and Culture in our/your county There are a number of benefits for you in being part of Club Sligo

We urge all Sligo Gaels  to be part of  Club Sligo no matter where you reside on this planet to come on board,in doing so we will achieve our aims leading to the success we are determined to bring about

Do you want to be a pioneer, to become part of a success story Cumann Sligeach  Club Sligo ??

magpie seanie

Is Club Sligo being launched on Thursday? I'd heard a bit of talk about it but notihng about a launch. Are they trying to keepit a secret or something?

SLIGONIAN

Ya its this thursday in Sligo park and its up on the sligogaa website and id say local newspapers will have ads in for it aswell. Hope it gets good backing. Good luck to all involved.

paddypastit

Might be a bit 'me too' but if it works elsewhere, why not for us?

I note on the sligogaa page that the fifth of five points that it is to address is
"To platform the development of a new County Training facility"

What is the story on that? Seanie, am I right in saying that the original proposal on that involving Ransboro was binned?
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

paddypastit

Lads, tried to 'sign on' here and the payment mechanism doesn't work!!
come disagree with me on http://gushtystuppencehapenny.wordpress.com/ and spread the word

magpie seanie

Quote from: paddypastit on April 21, 2009, 04:11:52 PM

I note on the sligogaa page that the fifth of five points that it is to address is

What is the story on that? Seanie, am I right in saying that the original proposal on that involving Ransboro was binned?

Binned is the wrong word. Planning permission was obtained and on our clubs part anyway funds were raised but some people took us to An Bord Pleanala. These people included a man currently standing for election to the county council as an independent candidate for the Ballymote electoral area. My feelings on him possibly getting elected are not publishable - surely this is not the type of person we should have in office. The other objectors were well connected politically and despite the fact that our consultants comprehensively answered all queries raised by the objectors the planning was inexplicably overturned. The ruling effectively condemned that piece of land for development. Luckily for the county board they can go anywhere in the county. Our options are more limited.

There are rumours that land has been identified for the county board but nothing announced. In time it will happen for them I'm sure.

paddypastit

The NIMBY generation is alive and well!!

Owenmoresider

Quote from: magpie seanie on April 21, 2009, 09:28:25 PM
Quote from: paddypastit on April 21, 2009, 04:11:52 PM

Binned is the wrong word. Planning permission was obtained and on our clubs part anyway funds were raised but some people took us to An Bord Pleanala. These people included a man currently standing for election to the county council as an independent candidate for the Ballymote electoral area. My feelings on him possibly getting elected are not publishable - surely this is not the type of person we should have in office. The other objectors were well connected politically and despite the fact that our consultants comprehensively answered all queries raised by the objectors the planning was inexplicably overturned. The ruling effectively condemned that piece of land for development. Luckily for the county board they can go anywhere in the county. Our options are more limited.

There are rumours that land has been identified for the county board but nothing announced. In time it will happen for them I'm sure.
There was of course plans to set up in our area too, but for whatever reason they didn't come to fruition, things dragged on somehow, with little movement, then the arse fell out of the local land value and that was that. A pity.

As for the Independent candidate - a gentleman, assured of my vote in a few weeks. A great family and community man.

The above line may be entirely devoid of any truth.

magpie seanie

Quote from: paddypastit on April 21, 2009, 11:55:59 PM
The NIMBY generation is alive and well!!

Yeah, imagine football fields being close to your house. The horror of it! You just have to wonder about people at times....

There's more I could say but the libel laws and my inability to prove things I know to be true prevent me.

SLIGONIAN

I dont know what happened but i can read between the lines, nothing new in Ireland, pisses me off big time that sorta stuff.

With a Connacht gaa centre of excellence planned for Ballyhaunis for all teams in Connacht is a Sligo one feasible? Land prices and construction cost are lower which is an opportunity now but Club Sligo wont be able to produce miracles in terms of funding straight away it needs connacht council national lottery and gaa support aswell.

I used to be embarrased training beside our county players on a green in mullaghmore not so long ago with just street lights, i was even more embarrased when i seen first hand the training (moran era).

Do they still train in tubber or is it tourlestrane? They used to go to Longford aswell. Leitrim are building a major facility beside annaduff i might add.

paddypastit

Sligonian - While there would be plenty to say that his selections, his man management and his in game decision making are not those of a top drawer inter-county manager, by far the greater number of players that have worked with / under Mickey Moran would rate his training and knowledge of same and his ability as a coach.  I could think of managers before and since that had less to offer, much less and while he didn't win an AI with either he could not be accused of failure in either Doneagal or Mayo.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: paddypastit on April 23, 2009, 06:49:27 PM
Sligonian - While there would be plenty to say that his selections, his man management and his in game decision making are not those of a top drawer inter-county manager, by far the greater number of players that have worked with / under Mickey Moran would rate his training and knowledge of same and his ability as a coach.  I could think of managers before and since that had less to offer, much less and while he didn't win an AI with either he could not be accused of failure in either Doneagal or Mayo.

Paddy i take your point but for me from what i saw regurlarly it was far too easy a training session even for a basic meet up. But im not naive enough to think this was his main training method. I was getting at the facilities more than anything and just really pointing out it was pointless training there mainly because of the facilities and then i never seen the team training on the 4mile long strand with up and down sand dunes either so it was pointless IMO. Its in the past though and hopefully in future we can look back and see how far weve come on/off the field, how proud would it be to a Sligo centre of Excellence. I passed Leitrims supposed centre in annaduff yday on my way home and it looks like its been abandoned.

Best of luck to our seniors today.