St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

Westie

Not sure Sligonian - remember reading about it in the Sunday papers last year when they were involved in the Connacht club.

I assume it would mean looking after the schools (your lucky, we have 2 schools with 5 teachers in total), being part of the underage coaching and management in the club.

Paid for by the club I believe with FAS or RSS assistance I think.  Dromard in Longford do something not the same but similiar but they have a creche run by the club also. The GAA units always amaze me what they end up doing for their parish

baoithe

Westie and Seanie, you'll have to forgive my ignorance of that fact that there are initiatives in place to nurture and promote maximum participation at underage level - I dont get home enough to keep up with everything.

Ok so the initiatives are there. Now what we need is a countywide consensus to implement, maintain and develop further these initiatives into the coming years. Consensus is integral to the success of any of these programmes. Its all very well having a few clubs on the right track but to reap rewards we need everyone coming on board. This will require representatives from all clubs sitting down with the county board in a forum of sorts and hammering out a) the agreed model (eg Go games) and b) a time schedule for full implementation of the chosen programme.

In terms of coaching I still think it is worthwhile for us as a county to carry out the study I mentioned in my previous post. We need everyone being coached in the same manner and we need that coaching to be of the highest standard. Kerry footballers are not natural footballers because of the water down there, its because they are coached properly  from a young age. Incidentally I think Mayo's lack of All-Irelands is for the most part down to coaching. I watched that Mayo minor team dominate Tyrone in the All-Ireland final and still lost. The difference was Tyrone were clinical everytime they roved forward whereas Mayo dithered and lacked the decision making or the skills to do likewise. Another thing that bugs me is that, apart from Galway, Connacht teams do not produce footballers who can even kick with either foot accurately.

To do all this we have to get the administration right. Men (or women) like Westie and Seanie are too few in number within the underage setup in Sligo. I suppose thats partly to do with the fact that its mostly parents that wish to get involved with this area and then when their kids have moved on or reached adulthood the fail to remain involved.

Its so difficult to devote enough time to chat about this online due to work and time constraints. But this is the most constructive chat by Sligo lads I've seen on here in a long time so keep her lit.

stevo-08

lads, some excellent contributions here especially by baoithe, seanie & westie.

Seanie is right that the appointment of Liam Og was a very good step. The Go games, development squads and new U12 formats were good initiatives. The coaches are also working hard to get into the secondary schools, which have been neglected for far too long, in particular Summerhill College. There are huge numbers there and we need as many playing gaelic games as possible.

As westie points out, blitzes from u12 down is the only way forward and the winter leagues are a disaster. Yet, we have now started to run our feile competitions in winter. And on top of that, the north division was originally going to run another u-13 winter league before the feile competition. You couldnt make it up.... Thankfully, at least, they were convinced to run the U15 winter league as a blitz rather than dragging it out over 6-7 weeks in Oct/Nov. The situation this year where the u14 championship was all wrapped up & finished in June (some clubs u14 teams were finished football as early as Jun 10th!!) & then those same players are asked to play in winter leagues in Oct/Nov is an absolute joke.

I'd be very much in favour of the study baoithe proposes. A common approach is required to develop the underage coaching across all clubs and competitions in the county. At the moment, it is very disjointed with some boards & divisions doing what they like...

SLIGONIAN

Are any of the lads on here in a position to influence the county board to progress these ideas, Boaithe you obviously have alot more to say and just need time to do that.

Like we can talk on here for the next 20yrs but id like to think some of the lads on here if possible would try to put these ideas into action for the benefit of Sligo underage. Sounds like alot of yee could add alot to the cause at underage. I know some of yee are pissing against the wind with commitee not taking on board proposals as seanie mentioned and are really busy, but something like is worth its weight in gold to Sligo gaa, Fair play.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Well done to Eastern Harps today, fantastic display especially 2nd half. :) :)

Owenmoresider

Indeed, great win for Harps, looked like they were going to be taken apart by Ballagh in the first half, and had only Danny Grady showing in the forwards, yet Balagh only led 7-4 at half time, and they were made pay. Taylor was excellent in the second half, won balls that he really had no right to win, and kicked his usual tally of points, Phillips did a huge amount of work in the backline, midfield got on top and the breaks were won, where Ballagh had mopped up in the first half. Donovan and McGovern kept the house in order at the back, though Andy Moran was a constant threat to Harps. Kinneavey did them absolutely no harm at all, a total contrast to that tool in the Manor game.

A good all-round performance to be fair, and great to see a Sligo team in the Connacht final, the fourth team to make that stage, Curry and Tourlestrane lost out while Mary's won and lost a few. Have beaten Corofin before in 2002, despite Candon getting sent off early on, so they'll not be fearing them at all. Think it's a Galway venue though, hopefully in Tuam, I'm sick of travelling to Salthill.

magpie seanie

From what I hear the final is in Markievicz which would give Harps a great chance of winning it.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Owenmoresider on November 10, 2008, 12:43:07 AM
Indeed, great win for Harps, looked like they were going to be taken apart by Ballagh in the first half, and had only Danny Grady showing in the forwards, yet Balagh only led 7-4 at half time, and they were made pay. Taylor was excellent in the second half, won balls that he really had no right to win, and kicked his usual tally of points, Phillips did a huge amount of work in the backline, midfield got on top and the breaks were won, where Ballagh had mopped up in the first half. Donovan and McGovern kept the house in order at the back, though Andy Moran was a constant threat to Harps. Kinneavey did them absolutely no harm at all, a total contrast to that tool in the Manor game.

A good all-round performance to be fair, and great to see a Sligo team in the Connacht final, the fourth team to make that stage, Curry and Tourlestrane lost out while Mary's won and lost a few. Have beaten Corofin before in 2002, despite Candon getting sent off early on, so they'll not be fearing them at all. Think it's a Galway venue though, hopefully in Tuam, I'm sick of travelling to Salthill.

Pretty much concur with that analysis, mcgovern was way too loose in the 1st half on n12 but i think that was tactical as he was sitting in the space in front of FB line, Harps went man for man 2nd half and it showed, also in 1st half only ogrady was winning his battle, in fairness to ballaghs management they dealt with that quick enough. Ballagh played blanket defence, at time 7 or 8 back crowding the space in front of taylor and co..but you need to be super fit to apply that game and ballagh tired and harps sensed it and pushed on.

A few good suprises for me on P Taylor, he won ball that he'd little right to win, he also got one score, when he turned on a six pence and over the bar, he took frees from a massive distance and converted them, usually out of his range but he was outstanding yday and was very sharp.

Also got some great scores, the most important being o gradys one at the start of 2nd half, it was vital to get that one, no12 for harps got a skyscraper aswell. There was a wind favouring harps 2nd half, but there ability to stay calm and keep pluging away 1st half won the game, really ballagh were well on top but only 3pts ahead and harps last scores showed signs they were beginning to get a hold on things.

Andy moran has 4 attempts at goal 2n half, one dropped short, one hit the post and 2 went about an inch wide, all great efforts in fairness but harps just put him under enough presure, the free taker for ballagh too never really looke prolific and missed a few, aswell donovan made a great block from a goal chance but nothing new there. Phillips orchastrated most of the moves out of defence, mcgovern came into his own 2nd half. No 7 for harps was class and rafferty again links and support with great purpse and timing, culminating in getting the last score. T Taylor and grady worked there socks off and o grady shows fierce well and looks like he improving every game. Hannon did well but didnt see much ball.  To be fair Harps are a team and they all deserve alot of credit.

Another fair ref like that and harps have every chance in the final.

Hope your right Seanie, massive boost if it is in Sligo. The last final was curry caltra in pearse.

Best of luck harps, is it on TG4 the final, and can you see that in Dubai anyone know?

stevo-08

agree with alot of what has been said here. A great win for harps and they have nothing to fear in final.

Looked very worrying in first half when they were being beaten at midfield, and Moran orchestrating everything in the FF line. Ballagh moved the ball at pace and harps were way too loose and standing off their men. At the other end, Ballagh were putting huge pressure on the harps forwards and apart from O'Grady, they showed little threat. With the slippery conditions, harps were dwelling too long on the ball, and they lost possession countless times. However eventually they got it together and started winning the midfield battle giving a good supply into O'Grady, Taylor & Rafferty. Taylor in particular was immence, couldnt believe some of the balls he was winning in there, sometimes with 2-3 Ballagh defenders surrounding him. At the other end, after Cryan, King & McGovern all failed to get close to Moran, Donovan was finally asked to do the job. And as usual, he answered the call.

Harps definitely got the benefit of some decisions but overall I think they deserved the victory. Would be a great boost if the final is in sligo. Best of luck to them.

magpie seanie

It now appears that the Connacht club final will in fact be at a Galway venue.

Anyone see the latest epistle from the comedians at FO(S)SF? Giving out about player power and praising the management selection process in Sligo in the one sentence! Embarrassing!

baoithe

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 11, 2008, 09:31:36 AM

Anyone see the latest epistle from the comedians at FO(S)SF? Giving out about player power and praising the management selection process in Sligo in the one sentence! Embarrassing!

I think he or she is half cut when they write this. It reminds me of the ranting and reminiscing of auld fellas in the pub at home.

SLIGONIAN

Well lads, listening to ocean fm or the like John Murphy is a hero for the way he went about getting walsh. Barnes Murphy was very complimentary of the whole process especially.

Disappointing to hear the venue is in Galway. Why is it?

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on November 11, 2008, 11:01:18 AM

Well lads, listening to ocean fm or the like John Murphy is a hero for the way he went about getting walsh. Barnes Murphy was very complimentary of the whole process especially.

Disappointing to hear the venue is in Galway. Why is it?
I'm about 99% sure that the last time they met in the Connacht championship that the venue was in Sligo.  Must be some sort of agreement in place.  Will probably be fixed for Salthill which is a fair trek for the Sligo lads in fairness.

magpie seanie

QuoteWell lads, listening to ocean fm or the like John Murphy is a hero for the way he went about getting walsh. Barnes Murphy was very complimentary of the whole process especially.

I rest my case!

According to sligogaa.ie the last time a Sligo team played a Galway team in the Connacht club championship was 2004 when Tourlestrane played Killererin in Markievicz. It would be a disgrace if this game goes to Salthill so I  expect it will.

shapes

That's unfortunate that is in Galway I am going to make the journey anyway as I think they have a great chance, its unfortunate that these games are not neutral venues as the home venue makes a big difference at club level particularly for the inexperienced lads, it is usually a different club each year that gets the advantage or disadvantage based on previous county meetings. I know that Tourlestrane played Leitrim and Mayo away last year with Ballina being at home!. Corofin being such a big club will have a lot of support there.
Heard that the U20 final ended up with both teams finished warm ups and going in for the toss with the Referee insisting on calling the game off and when over ruled by management from both clubs, then spoke to Tubber about the pitch being unplayable which they then declared it as. Surely if both teams want to play, it should go ahead provided player safety is being looked after.