St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

The Stand Side

Tourlestrane hanging on by their finger nails.  Lost to Gaels tonight.  Gaels now through and if Ballymote beat Geevagh they will almost definitely go through with Gaels.  What happened i wonder?

The Stand Side

Marys 1-13 Calry 1-8  - puts marys and Tubber in a winner takes all last match of the group.

The Stand Side

A good win for Castleconor 0-12 to 0-9 St Johns puts them through in Group C - proabably the end of Johns for this year.

The Stand Side

Coolera 14 Easkey 1-7 puts Harps and Coolera through.  This group went with League form.  Will the draw semi final be made before next match or do we know the format.  Harps and Coolera seem to have pick the short road this year.

SLIGONIAN

St Molaises Gaels 4-9 St Pats 1-5.

We were missing a few but not as many as feared, Martin feeney delayed his trip to turn out for us fair play to him. Peter wilson also played through the pain barrier (shoulder injury) too and put in huge performance for us. Worked his socks off. Martin was quiet on scores but was instrumental from play and showed a more unsellfish side to his game which was good to see.

The 2 gilsenans were awesome. Rememeber darren is captain of the sligo minors and got 2 great goals in the first half. Gavin is outstanding reader of the game and distribution is spot on. Albeit young this lads show tremedous leadership something our experianced players could do with.

Eoin mchugh was quiet today but put his body on the line and got stuck in. Shipped some heavy hits. Colm feeney and alan caraway very impressive in defence bombing forward aswell. Aaron mchugh played and did well but was a doubtful so fair play again.

Pats were very poor, far too reliant on there county minors and in fairness too much too expect but are young and will no doubt improve in coming yrs.

Happily relieved and now we should make a good fist of the intermediate with mark quinn and few others back.

Was at the curtain raiser of St Marys 1-13 calry st joesphs 1-8.

Good news is j davey and mark brehony are on fire. Brehony has toughened up and very accurate and in good form and johnny is in super shape. This was tight enough game with marys 8-2 up early on and calry cameback well to get within a point early in 2nd half. Alot of close misses duly followed but marys pulled away near the end.

This was my first time to see benny o reilly. Looks good, fine left foot, accurate but lacks variation in his runs, runs down to corner turns back on to his left. Has good pace and not afraid of physical side of games. Maybe not quite good enough for county but not far away. Id rate martin feeney (players who maybe deserve a chance with county category) ahead of him but cant judge on one game either so would like to see more of him.

Coen played corner forward for marys, superfast and accurate, all left foot, not quite ruthless enough yet , missed a few goal chances but he was brilliant for the u21s and has a bright future. Keep him away from soccer though(seen him in line up for abbey recently in papers).
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

The Stand Side

Sligonian - reckon you will meet Michaels again somewhere along the line.  Good result tonight for you means no worries about scores the next day.  On Brehony - I seen him recently and he is surely alot tougher and standing his ground at the tackles, letting fellas bounce off him, and then ready for more.  Will be vital for us against Mayo.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: The Stand Side on June 07, 2008, 11:34:38 PM
Sligonian - reckon you will meet Michaels again somewhere along the line.  Good result tonight for you means no worries about scores the next day.  On Brehony - I seen him recently and he is surely alot tougher and standing his ground at the tackles, letting fellas bounce off him, and then ready for more.  Will be vital for us against Mayo.

I hope your right, the stand side. I think we cant meet again till final.

On brehony its great to see a lad that was clearly honest with himself knew his weaknesses, worked on building himeself up and now will reap the benefits of putting in big performances.

Toulestrane are faltering badly this yr. What going on with them?

Westie

Good win for my boys from way out west. Despite losing Langan very early on, we dug in and showed real heart when only holding a 1 point lead with 11 mins (+ 5 of inj time, which was warranted). Was disappointed with Scanlon. Thought when Stenson put over 2 monster points we were gone but our half back line was immense and how Rory Healy or Kevin Langan are not county standard amazes me. The run by Langan in the last few mins from inside his own 50 to the opposition 14 was stunning, going by 6 Johns players.
Farnans deservedly won the other game in Quigabar (good crowd too). Like Castleconnor it was put up to them when playing against the wind. Showed way more hunger and heart compared to Drum.  who appear totally dis-interested.
Not many would have predicted the 2 teams from the West going through.
Tourlestrane appear to be gone if Ballymote keep their heads on. Great result for the Gaels. Tour can't claim complacency as that should have been shook out of them the previous week.
Seems like the Bunnies are in awful shape. That will really hurt, losing to Harps like that.
Is division 2 the stronger division?  I don't think so but it seems to give better preparation for the championship.

Mholaise had a very good victory. Marys giving Cloonacool a hammering puts Enniscrone in serious bother. Owenmore Gaels let Tourlestrane score 4 but at least no relegation playoff.

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 08, 2008, 03:07:14 PM
Toulestrane are faltering badly this yr. What going on with them?

The wheels have come off in the last forthnight alright. From what i'm hearing (maybe All Star can confirm) a few injuries were picked up in recent weeks and to compound matters our former all-star and current Sligo midfielder failed to turn up for the game citing work committments.

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 07, 2008, 11:22:20 PM

By the way Sligoniian how did your teammate who you heavily criticised last week perform at the weekend?

magpie seanie

Our seniors did the business on Saturday evening against Easkey to clinch a quarter final spot against one of the west Sligo sides. We played good stuff in patches but a lot of work to be done if we're to progress.

Intermediate was again disappointing. We've developed a very bad penchant for conceding ridiculous goals in the last few weeks which really puts you in trouble. Lads battled well throughout besides. Coolaney/Mull are a good side for this levle but are not without their weaknesses. Some bloody quick forwards though!

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on June 09, 2008, 09:57:37 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 07, 2008, 11:22:20 PM

By the way Sligoniian how did your teammate who you heavily criticised last week perform at the weekend?

Performed a little better, but I still dont rate him. I see him every week and one decent game after 10 terrible performances hardly warrants praise. In tight games he always goes missing for us. But he does his best so I blame the management.

What did you think mano, you were obviously there?

Mano

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on June 09, 2008, 12:42:02 PM
What did you think mano, you were obviously there?

No i wasn't at it. After taking him to the cleaners last week i would have thought you could give him some credit for at least an improved performance on Saturday.

xwave7000

Ballymote's recent good form continues with a 2 point victory over Geevagh, leaving Tourlestrane all but out of the competiton - a point against Gaels will now see Ballymote through to the quarters. The worrying fact for me about recent games is Ballymote's tendency to sit back with fifteen men behind the ball for the last ten minutes - it cost them against Tourlestrane, and indeed nearly did the same thing against a battling Geevagh side who might feel slightly aggrieved. Had they not missed an open goal in the first half, things may have been very different.
Two great first half goals from McTiernan and McGowan had Ballymote leading at the interval - 2-06 to 0-8 points. However, a poor return of only four points in the second half let Geevagh back into the game, but Ballymote hung on to claim a 2-10 to 0-14 victory on the day - their first Championship win in 11 games... or five years. Perhaps this win will encourage the side to take games by the throat and finish off teams - rather than sitting back and letting them back into it.

Another interesting note was a minor fracas in the closing stages that nearly escalated into an all out brawl when a supporter from the Geevagh side became involved - throwing punches at one of the Ballymote lads. There was absolutely no need for this, and the referee dealt with it quite well, booking the two initial players - and throwing the supporter out.

stevo-08

Quote from: Westie on June 09, 2008, 07:55:14 AM
Good win for my boys from way out west. Despite losing Langan very early on, we dug in and showed real heart when only holding a 1 point lead with 11 mins (+ 5 of inj time, which was warranted). Was disappointed with Scanlon. Thought when Stenson put over 2 monster points we were gone but our half back line was immense and how Rory Healy or Kevin Langan are not county standard amazes me. The run by Langan in the last few mins from inside his own 50 to the opposition 14 was stunning, going by 6 Johns players.
Farnans deservedly won the other game in Quigabar (good crowd too). Like Castleconnor it was put up to them when playing against the wind. Showed way more hunger and heart compared to Drum.  who appear totally dis-interested.
Not many would have predicted the 2 teams from the West going through.
Tourlestrane appear to be gone if Ballymote keep their heads on. Great result for the Gaels. Tour can't claim complacency as that should have been shook out of them the previous week.
Seems like the Bunnies are in awful shape. That will really hurt, losing to Harps like that.
Is division 2 the stronger division?  I don't think so but it seems to give better preparation for the championship.

Mholaise had a very good victory. Marys giving Cloonacool a hammering puts Enniscrone in serious bother. Owenmore Gaels let Tourlestrane score 4 but at least no relegation playoff.

Why do you say that? I think there's only been 3 games where Div 1 & Div 2 teams played against each other and it's been fairly level so far - Calry & Tubber draw, Curry beat Marys, Sh.Gaels beat Tourlestrane. And I'd expect alot of the Div 1 teams to win the last group games.

That said, a good run in the league, no matter what the division, will always help preparation for championship.