St. Molaise Gaels
Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

Teeling Gael

Be slightly nervous about building up young U16s as stars of the future yet Sligonian.

Is it just me or could someone explain the logic in having a 1/4 final replay in Tubber at 2.00 with a significant possiblity of extra time and a semifinal in the park at 4.00. Surely both should have been in the Park with the semi final on first to accomodate potential extra time ??

magpie seanie

TG - a funny decision surely. And they wonder why people are not going to club games these days? There would be plenty of non GAA folk (Sligo town and environs based) who would tip along to the second replay if it were at a town venue.

We have to go to Curry to play Ballymote!

Owenmoresider

The scheduling of games, time and venue, is getting worse by the year. And I woudn't mind but they were mad for having all games in the Park, regardless of whether it was a all-South or East v South affair, Curry v Tourlestrane, Harps v Tubber etc., and now when it makes sense to do so, they go and move the replay to Tubber! And using Curry and Grange for fixtures is laughable, hugely awkward to find two teams where they would suit. Coolera/Ballymote and Ballisodare/Drumcliffe are certainly unsuitable, though if it was in Oxfield, it still wouldn't help the latter to be played.

Curry are having trouble disposing of John's, who certainly have come on a lot, but they should get through in the end. Harps will win the first semi, an Easkey win would be quite a surprise. I see Tourlestrane didn't turn up for the Division 3 final, probably thought it beneath themselves to play it. And Geevagh obliged too, and in all likelihood will finsh the job in the final round, whenever that's played. In the meantime we'll be demoted in the Championship, are up against it on Saturday. Coolera to secure their safety in the SFC playoff.

magpie seanie

Big day for our club on Saturday. Home semi final in the minor "A" championship against Tourlestrane at 3pm despite our opponents persistant objections as to the suitability of our pitch.  ???

Then its up to Curry for the relegation playoff against Ballymote. A draw is the ideal result as it will save us having to play in the final of the reserve championship and the possible dubious honour of a 2 in a row. Hopefully last weekend's workout will have boosted the sharpness of a few of our lads and we'll have enough to get a result and end this saga. That would open up the door to play our league final against Tubber. Possible a lot of football to be played yet.

Davitt Man

Magpie Seanie and Stagmeister ye should have a little chat about the game saturday, a draw perfect for both of ye!!

Mano

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 19, 2007, 09:23:35 AM
Big day for our club on Saturday. Home semi final in the minor "A" championship against Tourlestrane at 3pm despite our opponents persistant objections as to the suitability of our pitch.  ???

I never personally had a problem with the Coolera pitch. Why though is a county semi-final been played in one of the participating teams pitches-surely there are enough neutral venues around the county.

I don't think our minor team is as good as previous years and we have had enough painful memories of losing minor finals over last few years so i would prefer to lose the semi than get betaen by John's again in the final

magpie seanie

QuoteI never personally had a problem with the Coolera pitch.

I know Mano, I was surprised to hear it myself, especially as I've never seen it in better shape than this year.

QuoteWhy though is a county semi-final been played in one of the participating teams pitches-surely there are enough neutral venues around the county.

Being truthful, I know that the minor board are and have had difficulty getting neutral venues throughout the year so they decided that all semis would be at the home venue of the team that qualified in the higher position. I believe that meant the Minor Board chairmans own club had to travel to Templeboy (the worst pitch in the county in my view) so it has been applied across the board.

QuoteI don't think our minor team is as good as previous years and we have had enough painful memories of losing minor finals over last few years so i would prefer to lose the semi than get betaen by John's again in the final

Ye are in the top 4 and anything can happen. John's won't have it all their own way with Curry in the other semi final. I think any of the 4 can win it. Obviously I'm hopeful for our guys and if they can get through on Saturday it would be our first final since 2000 and only our 3rd "A" final since 1981! Tourlestrane really have had terrible misfortune in minor finals over recent years. Still, its good to be getting there but you'll forgive me for hoping ye don't make this one.

Mano

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 19, 2007, 04:08:48 PM
Tourlestrane really have had terrible misfortune in minor finals over recent years. Still, its good to be getting there but you'll forgive me for hoping ye don't make this one.

Not just at minor level at all levels-unfortunately we always have some exceelent individual players but have to down in age to fill the wings.
I lost 3 county finals underage-2 to your club, the other to Carraroe. These areas have huge advantage at underage level because of the their large population base. Fortunately we make up for our lack of success in underage county finals at senior level!

magpie seanie

Yeah, Mano. Clubs like yours are more successful at "keeping them at it" and that tells in the end. The community spirit and strength of support in every household for the GAA is a huge help to that and other ends as well. We'd be missing that too. Having a big population isn't the massive advantage its cracked up to be. There are several ingredients to a good cake. Feck, I'm starting to sound like Jose Mourinho!

Owenmoresider

Sligo Estates - Senior Championship

Q/F 2nd Replay

Curry                         0-7           St Johns                             4-15

Semi Final

Easkey                       0-10          Eastern Harps                       0-10

McCormack Fuels - Intermediate Championship Relegation

Group:  A

Drumcliffe Rosses Pt v Ballisodare (Walkover for Ballisodare)

Group:  B

Curry                         0-9           Owenmore Gaels                   1-11

Sligo Estates - Senior Championship Relegation

Group:  A

Coolera/Strandhill         3-9           Ballymote                            4-6

Group:  B

Geevagh                     2-3           Bunninadden                       1-14

P    W   D    L      For Against Points

Senior Championship Relegation

Group A

Castleconnor                  2     2   0    0         24      19         4

Ballymote                      3     1   1    1         50      44         3

Coolera/Strandhill            3     1   1    1         45      40         3

Shamrock Gaels              2     0   0    2         24      40         0

Group B

St Marys                        2     1   1    0         29      27         3

Bunninadden                  2     1   0    1         30      24         2

Geevagh                       2     0   1    1         23      31         1

Intermediate Championship Relegation
Group A

Enniscrone                     2     1   0    1         16      10         2

Owenmore Gaels             2     1   0    1         18      21         2

Curry                            2     1   0    1         15      18         2

Group B

Cloonacool                     2     2   0    0         15       9         4

Ballisodare                     2     1   0    1           9      15         2

Drumcliffe Rosses Pt         2     0   0    2           0       0         0

Owenmoresider

Sligo Estates - Senior Championship

Semi final

Teams:        Tourlestrane V St Johns

Date:          Sun 30-Sep-07

Venue:        Tubbercurry

Time:          2:30 PM

Referee:      Marty Duffy

Linesmen:    Pat McGrath and John Niland

Semi final replay

Teams:        Eastern Harps V Easkey

Venue:        Tubbercurry

Time:          4:00 PM

Referee:      TJ Keavney

Linesmen:    Anthony McGowan and David Dillon

McCormack Fuels - Intermediate Championship

Semi Finals

Teams:        St Michaels V St Patricks

Venue:        Markievicz Park

Time:          2:30 PM

Referee:      Michael Duffy

Linesmen:    Pat McDermott and Gerry Higgins

Teams:        St Molaise Gaels V St Farnans

Venue:        Markievicz Park

Time:          4:15 PM

Referee:      Dermot Mullaney

Linesmen:    Declan O'Boyle and Ciaran O'Donnell

Reserve Championship Final

Teams:        Castleconnor V St Marys

Date:          Sat 29-Sep-07

Venue:        Curry

Time:          5:00 PM

Referee:      Anthony McGowan

Linesmen:    John Niland and Sean Lynch

Murphy & Sons Auctioneers - League Division 2B Final

Teams:        Cloonacool V Curry

Date:          Sat 29-Sep-07

Venue:        Bunninnadden

Time:          5:00 PM

Referee:      Dan McKeon

Linesmen:    Seán Durkin and Keith Henry

Owenmoresider

Just to repeat that first score for everybody's benefit, in particular the gutted Tourlestrane contingent :P, lest one thinks it's a misprint:

Curry 0-7 St. John's 4-15

You could imagine John's winning the game, having showed their ability to mix it with the now ex-champions over the previous two games, but by twenty points??? Missed the majority of the first half, so can't comment on Adrian Marren's sending-off, but the word was it was for an altercation with the ref (the lesser Duffy), so it could be a tight spot for him to get out of. John's led 1-7 to 0-2, and seemed to be well on top, stretched it out to 1-10 before Curry had a brief spell, to pull it back to 1-11 to 0-6, and then the screw was fairly well turned on them. John's got two more points before they got their second goal, Scanlon getting it. After that it developed into a turkey-shoot, with John's winning every break and pretty much nailing every chance, and Curry imploding quicker than a Mayo team an AIF day. McNamara got their third goal with himself and Harrison cutting through, and then the other corner-forward, McDaid, capped it off with the fourth before the finish. An amazing result, but full credit to John's, at least they have shown that they are serious about taking on the top sides, and not just winning local squabbles. As for Curry? Well something can't be quite right there, I've never seen a team who were defending a title fall so pathethically (though I have seen holders lose to John's before ;D), and they threw in the towel from a long way out. Taxi for Mr. Kearney perhaps.

Tourlestrane will be an entirely different proposition now though, it will be a test for John's. Was this their county final? Will four weeks on the trot be too much for them? Conversely will Tourlestrane's layoff work against them, and will the lack of a serious challenge to date hinder them? Remains to be seen, but I still reckon Tourlestrane will win, and probably Owen B thereafter.

The first semi was played too, and Easkey went close to pulling off another shock, but Harps levelled it late in the day. Donovan's sending-off was a turning point, as Easkey took over for the remainder, and could have had more. At the same time Harps missed some decent chances, particularly to level it. Sloyane was causing problems for Harps after the red card, and McGuire was commanding affairs further out, Eugene Mullen came in too and did well for them also. The sending off was also the first decision that Sloyane got off Des Henry all day, having been almost decapitated in the first half and all, it was a shocking refereeing display all round. Harps were stuttering once again, can mix the sublime with the lethargic, and did so again today. Still for all Easkey's efforts, this might have been their chance. Harps for the replay.

Elsewhere the East's senior representation has been reduced by two, after the Denmark-Sweden result, and the Bunnies finally getting it together at the last. Shamrock Gaels in Intermediate will be interesting from a number of viewpoints, not least ours and Coolera's! There's also the distinct possibility of Michael's going up to senior, and therfore replacing their two much-loved neighbours. Will be celebrated in Kelly's not doubt, and won't go down too well in Riverstown or Geevagh either. ;D

And us? Well we're still Intermediate for another day at least, after a good second half display got us out of trouble, winning quite reasonably in the end, best we've played for a while. No reason why we can't win the playoff now, but who knows with us. Semis on next weekend, helpfully at the same time as the senior ones. Michael's winning would be nice, but a Farnan's-Pat's final, well that one would have a slight edge to proceedings!

Oh and the Minor final is Coolera v Curry, after they both won at the weekend.

baoithe

Mano

Quote from: Owenmoresider on September 23, 2007, 10:44:22 PM
Just to repeat that first score for everybody's benefit, in particular the gutted Tourlestrane contingent :P, lest one thinks it's a misprint:

Wouldn't be too disappointed from a Tourlestrane viewpoint however i think Curry have had a few problems over the last few weekends and were there for the taking really and i'd say our boys would have liked the opportunity to take care of them in the semi.

Danger now is Tourlestrane have been focussing on meeting Curry in the semi final and will have have to re-focus for the challenge of John's. Johns have built up a huge momentum also over last 3 weekends while Tourlestrane have been sitting idle and have not had a competitive championship game thus far. Having said that the 3 week break has helped a few of the injured lads recover so its a double edged sword.

A lot of Tour lads have been beaten in minor county finals by Johns so hopefully that will be motivation enough to see them through

magpie seanie

Saturday turned out to be a good day for us as our minors did the business to advance to the minor final (seems to be every 7 years in recent times). Hopefully this crop can reverse the results of 1993 and 2000. Curry are a very good side (we drew with them in the league final in a cracking game) so wel will be up against it as we try to win it for the first time since 1964.

Our seniors retained senior status with a draw against Ballymote. We played some great stuff in the first half scoring 4 goals and having another one disallowed. we had a 7 point lead at one stage but 'mote pegged it back in the second half and when they stuck their second penalty we trailed by two. Johnny Mac converted two late frees to grab a draw and a result that meant all left happy.

The John's v. Tour semi will be very interesting. I think John's will be playing a team whose style will not suit them as well as Curry's did but I've no doubt John's will have improved for the 3 games. There are a lot of factors that could influence an argument either way. John's - battle hardened or war weary? Tour - fresh or untested? It remains to be seen.