Ballymote
Calry/St. Joseph's
Tourlestrane
St. Mary's
St. Farnan's
St. John's

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Rossfan on December 03, 2010, 08:47:33 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on December 03, 2010, 07:37:25 PMOdds dont mean much, i doubt it bothers roscommon that yer 12/1 and we are 10/3 to win Connacht in 2011.

Th'oul odds didnt bother us too mch in Connacht this year anyways     ;D :D ;D ;D :D ;D :D
They didnt bother me in 2007 either when i made 6/1 off our semi final win over yere goodselves and 6/1 on the connacht final

Enjoy Division 4 btw rossfan, back down to reality ;)
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

magpie seanie

Well today is the day. Hopefully things go Cyril's way tonight, I think he would do a fantastic job.

Some interesting motions and even more importantly in my eyes, some proposed revisions to bye-laws that are up for ratification. A few of them have considerable impact on our club (one being a committee where the county board and not our club get to pick who represents our club on a committee - I'm not making this up!) but we have not been consulted at all about them. I suppose that's unsurprising given the way things have been done in the last 5 years.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magpie seanie on December 13, 2010, 11:51:36 AM
Well today is the day. Hopefully things go Cyril's way tonight, I think he would do a fantastic job.

Some interesting motions and even more importantly in my eyes, some proposed revisions to bye-laws that are up for ratification. A few of them have considerable impact on our club (one being a committee where the county board and not our club get to pick who represents our club on a committee - I'm not making this up!) but we have not been consulted at all about them. I suppose that's unsurprising given the way things have been done in the last 5 years.
Should be an interesting night tonight. Hopefully start of a new era in Sligo GAA, hopefully the clubs will do the right thing. However with secret ballot im sure voters have told all 4 candidate that they will vote for them so its impossible to predict. In the lead up to this i know ive been told lies and obviously a dirty tricks campaign against some candidates was in place. Candidates taking credit for things they had little or no involvement.

Another thing that annoys me is the spin on the state of Sligo football, the junior all ireland is same level as tommy murphy cup imo, ok to win but not a barometer of where we are at as a county, div3 is 3rd tier of football, good to win, but again its a poor standard. No underage title, no minor championship win in Murphys 5 yrs in charge, we did beat leittrim in round robin but it wasnt knock out. U21s have beaten galway twice and leitrim once in 5 yrs so a little bit better. Still in the waffle of the development plan it stated to win a minor in 3yrs even though the plan hadnt a step by step guide how to give us the best chance just waffle.

Westie

Bye - laws - - what is the story here. A raft of them changed and no discussion or even mention that some were changed or added. Definitely trying to sneak it in. It is shocking and I did not think it had gone to this level. Democracy my "£$%

Motions- agree with most of them and at least it is good to see that this form of democracy is working though of course they could all be ruled out of order (why doesn't some committee meet with the clubs so that they are not out of order on the night, I know we have heard nothing on our submissions)

Chair - -It all depends on the transfers I believe. Cyril will win the first round easy but will he get transfers, I don't think he will need many but that is the biggie. Joe is supposed to be the second favourite.

Vice-chair - I hear that this is now down to one(in the last few mins I heard this) and that R.Brennan has a free run at it.

Good luck to them all, whoever, as there is some amount of work there.

Transparency is my main wish at this point

SLIGONIAN

Absolutely delighted to announce Cyril Feehily as new County Chairman. This man is hard working and puts Sligo GAA first. It will be a very interesting next 5 yrs for Sligo GAA with such a selfless man like this in charge. Im going to keep my feet on the ground as there is a lot of hardwork to be done but this gives Sligo GAA the best chance of maximising its potential it has ever got. It will ensure that the best managers get underage job to ensure underage success. Hopefully he will intervene in the current minor manager search and get the right man. This man has some great ideas and i know he'll push Sligo GAA to new heights in terms of coaching and fundraising etc... of course mistakes will be made but i expect them to be few and far between and made with good intentions.

Again Congrats.

DuffleKing

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: DuffleKing on December 14, 2010, 12:18:02 AM

Surely he will have to seek reelection annually?
Ya he will, but with such a landslide victory tonight and when the clubs see the improvement he is on his predessors he should get his 5yrs max.

SLIGONIAN

Good game for the conditions, Sligo 1-10 Galway 2-9

Armstrong scored 2-3 off Allstar Charlie Harrison who needs to erase this game from his memory quickly, kinda reinforces my opinion that he would be better HB.

Best for Sligo Pat Hughes 0-2, Francis Quinn 0-1, Paul Mcgovern and everyone worked hard. Sligo were 1-5 to 0-2 up at HT with the wind, Galway got a goal start of 2nd half after the ref pulled Charlie for picking off the grd even though he clearly put his foot under it, the ref pulled for picking off the grd all day even when it bounced so no complaints as he was consistently useless for both teams.

Overall i was happy enoiugh, we moved the ball well at times and if hynes had got any good ball looked like he could do damage, Tony Taylor did well and scored a cracking goal. Maye his usual consistent self from frees although he slipped for one wide. Our defenders seem intent on playing from the front (10yards at times) was too much space to give up, which proved very costly today especially against the wind, didnt make sense to me because its plays into galways long ball tactic 2nd half and made it easy for them.

Id like to see Farrell, Kennedy, C Davey, Donovan, Harrison, M Quinn, McGovern, as my defence the next day.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-football/armstrong-hits-all-right-notes-2490095.html

Positives from game performance of Hughes, F Quinn, McGovern, we saw snippets of Conor Daveys potential who needs more game time there but first looks are promising, i liked his reading of the game, his positioning and his tenacity in the tackle. Also Farrells 2 good saves and kickouts should put pressure on Greene for no1 jersey, Tony Taylors movement forward, timing of his runs and support play, not forgetting the quality of his vision and passing into the forwards, and he got some good blocks, his partner Egan worked tirelessly, and broke alot of galways moves down, the only thing they need to work is the ball winning ability from our own kickouts at least. Hynes for me looked very good, the majority of ball into him he had to work hard to get and he looked strong and comfortable carrying the ball, imo if we put more long ball in front of him he had the potential to do damage on hanley, the ball in flattered hanley imo. Barry O Boyle didnt look out of place but he very raw on the ball, but its probably down to first game rustyness, he showed no fear, and ran at galway, wasnt afraid to get the ball and definitly has the right atitude to be a serious player in future. McGovern is a huge asset to hve back, a player ive always rated highly, very strong in the tackle, never fouled so timing was spot on, slowed momentum of players running at him very well, linked the play well. Hughes was immense, being marked by o reilly a player i rate highly aswell, the first 20 mins it was probably a 50/50 battle but after that hughes got on top, he won breaks, carryed the ball well, mopped up untidy passes, got 2 great scores into the wind, well done. Francis Quinn was excellent again, this lad shows serious leadership in his play, his workrate and decision makeing is brilliant, rarely gives the wrong ball or away cheaply, serious link man and got a richly deserved point near the end. Mayes free taking was again unreal to watch, he can do damage from play aswell but thatll come in bigger games. Marren and Costello everyones familiar with, we know they are classacts but need gametime to get fitter, thought both looked rusty but worked hard and showed snippets of what they can do.

Mano

We will have serious strength in depth this year with the return of Egan, McGovern, Martyn - all half backs imo and the addition of some new talent.

Egan isn't an inter county midfielder - he is too small. CHB would be his best position. We seem to have big competition for that position this year.

Would not be too concerned with Harrison conceding 2-3. Its the first game of the season and its difficult for first team regulars to motivate themselves for this type of fixture.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on January 11, 2011, 03:36:30 PM
We will have serious strength in depth this year with the return of Egan, McGovern, Martyn - all half backs imo and the addition of some new talent.

Egan isn't an inter county midfielder - he is too small. CHB would be his best position. We seem to have big competition for that position this year.

Would not be too concerned with Harrison conceding 2-3. Its the first game of the season and its difficult for first team regulars to motivate themselves for this type of fixture.
Martyn broke his hand in a recent trial after Christmas, bad news, wish him a speedy recovery,

On Charlie it was his defensive discipline that annoyed me most, he had little interest in defending, first goal he was unlucky but his inabiltiy to get over that decision was strange, he went for a ball davey had covered and left his man inside him and fluffed it for the second, he decision making was poor, then in last 5 mins bombing forward past halfway with armstrong waiting for the turn over of the ball and him a extra man.

Egan is so versatile, he can play anywhere in HF, MID or HB line, it will be interesting to see where Walsh plays him Donegal. I still think Mark Quinn did enough in last yrs NFL to get first dibs on CHB for 2011 league.

SLIGONIAN

1Philip Greene St.John's
2Brian Kennedy Tourlestrane
3David Rooney St.John's
4Ross Donovan Eastern Harps
5Eoin McHugh St Molaise Gaels
6Mark Quinn St. Molaise Gaels
7Michael Doddy Ballymote
8Eamonn O'Hara Tourlestrane
9Shane McManus Geevagh
10Brian Curran Tubbercurry
11Michael McGowan St.Farnan's
12Sean Davey Curry
13Mark Breheny St.Mary's
14Alan Taaffe St.Michael's
15Kieran Finan Coolaney/Mullinabreena
Jason Farrell Owenmore Gaels
Gavin Gilsenan St.Molaise Gaels
Dennis Coffey Curry
Francis Quinn Shamrock Gaels
Neil Ewing Drumcliffe/Rosses Point
Tony Taylor Eastern Harps
David Maye Curry
Alan Costello Coolera/Strandhill

Interesting team, never seen Michael McGowan or Michael Doddy play..wouldnt be familiar with Shane McManus,

Obviously glad 2 SMG lads are getting gametime and wish them the best of luck, hope Gavin gets a run aswell.

Good to see Brian Curran back hopefully he'll regain his best form for Sligo but it'll take time. It will be interesting to see how David rooney does on Sweeney.

Obviously looking forward to keelan cawley aswell, coen is injured, gary gaughan and donncha gallagher both played againt nuig so hopefully theyll start.

Looking forward aswell to parsons in his county colours of black and white.

SLIGONIAN

James Kerins is new Sligo minor manager. Best of luck to him, fair play to the CB on getting him.

SLIGONIAN

Sligo 0-13 NUIG 3-9

Very harsh scoreline as we dominated for long periods and played some entertaining attacking football. Game started off with Pat Hughes straight threw on NUIG keeper only to kick it straight at him, then NUIG went up a got a welltaken goal. The 2 mayo corner forwards were very sharp and slick and it took us a while to get to grips but our problems were in midfield and HB line. It was 1-2 to 0-1 and then at HT it was 1-7 to 0-6. Sligo outscored NUIG in the first 25 mins of 2nd half 6 to 2 to level 1-9 to 0-12 and sligo missed a 20yard free, 3 goal chances, one a decent save, 2 other just wide, maye just missed 2 frees aswell in that 25 min spell. When Sligo drew level with a brilliant brehony point 5 mins left and sligo on top everywhere, a normal person would think sligo win. 2 long balls over ross donovan into his man equals 2 goals, game over.

Our corner backs keep making fatal errors with lapses in concentration and poor positioning but do play very well for long spells, M Quinn nailed down the CHB postion with a very asured performance and i thought settled down the defence, Harrison did well wing back, Midfield non existant for us, but Gilmartin did well for them, moftm was marren, absolutely destroyed the NUIG defence time and again, won 50/50 ball, looks seriously sharp and confident, costello did well when introduced and got a trademark score, brehony was very good aswell. Gilsenan did fine at FB imo but need to see more of him there, certainly none of the goals were his fault. EOH did well at CHF. Hughes and F Quinn werent as effective as the first day disappointingly, i still think both have alot to offer. Mcgowan was introduced early on for egan, but didnt get involved much, but wasnt helped by more experienced partner who was a shadow of the first day against galway.

Personnally disappointed mcgovern was taken off, he is not a CHB but he is a very good wing back and they could of switched him rather than take him off. I thought curran did poor enough so thats my thinking. Maye needs to offer from play, disappointing again. Personnally i prefer harrison in HB line, he was disciplined today and defended well, got his hands on the ball plenty but certainly his first priority was to defend which is an improvement on the first day.

For the NFL i can see us conceding a few heavy scores and i dont think we have the midfield to get enough ball into forwards to outscore teams, time will tell but we still have alot of positions to sort out. Who will walsh start FB Gilsenan, Rooney or Conor Davey. A few challenges coming up to fine tune that, but it looks likely one of those 3 will thrown in the deep in the NFL. No doubt this div2 will be a serious learning curve for Sligo football.

Donegal first up

Mano

I see Keelan Cawley was sent off for IT Sligo yesterday. I presume he will miss the start of the NFL now. How bad was Egan's injury yesterday?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Mano on January 24, 2011, 12:46:01 PM
I see Keelan Cawley was sent off for IT Sligo yesterday. I presume he will miss the start of the NFL now. How bad was Egan's injury yesterday?
I saw that straight red in the 25 min, with galway 5-4 up. Dont know how bad injury egans is, went off after 5mins, seemed to jump awkwardly so maybe ankle? We were roasted in midfield.

Shine played for roscommon so d kelly not playing for us is hopefully nothing to do with being injured.

Conor griffin didnt even make NUIG squad so he should of played at least 1 game for us instead, any county players not playing with college should be available for county.

In all my years havent a clue what starting 15 will play against donegal. They play Lacey in FF line but give him a free role, id put Charlie on him.

Mark Quinn is a cert for CHB, Marren, Brehony, EOH, Costello, Kelly are certain starters in Forward line.

You could toss a coin on who will play FB as all 3 play around the same level. Farrell was the best of the 3 keepers.