kieran mc geeney retires from intercounty football

Started by clean cotton, September 13, 2007, 10:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Armamike

quote]Tell someone who cares. He never did anything for me.[/quote]

Christ, the negativity and pure begrudgery of some around here can be disheartening at times. 

Cloc Mor, Mayo could have done with a player like McGeeney over the past 15 years, if you catch my drift.   
That's just, like your opinion man.

David McKeown

Quote from: john mcgill on September 16, 2007, 07:33:01 PM
I wish McGeeney all the best.  He gave me a great day on the third Sunday in Sept in 2002 and I'll not forget him for it.  Just back from the All Ireland, worse game than last year.  Was in the Castleknock Hotel on Friday night and met a lot of Central Council delegates and the overseas people.  The London people have it that McGeeney is heading over there to start a labour supply business up.  If true a good idea with all the work for the Olympics coming up.

John what did he do for you a week before the final :P
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

jodyb

Back in the early/mid nineties, when Armagh was doin nothin in Ulster, but Ulster was rockin it nationally, I watched Mc Geeny in the best railway cup teams that Ulster ever churned out!! When the Grimleys had had their day and Armagh still came up short, Mc geeny was a shinin example of what an individual athlete could do. F@ck manager, F@ck coach, he did it himself!!!! When Dermot Dougan got the better of him in '98 he came back in'99 an' showed 'Dougie' what he was made of!! What an Athlete? What a sportsman? All the best to him and his!!!!

red hander

I don't know McGeeney and have never met him, but he sorted me (a tyrone man yes) out with a ticket from his own allocation for the 2005 final through a friend who did know him ... an excellent footballer, a legend with the neighbours and a gentleman a far as I'm concerned

stew

Quote from: red hander on September 17, 2007, 03:28:24 PM
I don't know McGeeney and have never met him, but he sorted me (a tyrone man yes) out with a ticket from his own allocation for the 2005 final through a friend who did know him ... an excellent footballer, a legend with the neighbours and a gentleman a far as I'm concerned

I love hearing stories like that, I think it highlights what is great about gaelic games.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: red hander on September 17, 2007, 03:28:24 PM

Nice one Red!  ;)

SidelineKick

Quote from: stew on September 17, 2007, 06:53:11 PM
I love hearing stories like that, I think it highlights what is great about gaelic games.

im the same myself great to hear those wee things.

as for mr mcgeeney must wish him all the best im sure he'll be back round the county set up in the near future to lend a hand where he can. a fantastic footballer who played to his strengths, knew his limitation and worked on all aspects of his game to the limit. i think everybody can learn a bit from him and i have to admire his passion for the game and his passion for winning. its just a pity he didnt get sam once more. like canavan i think he deserved another and would have been a nice way to end his career. all the best to him anyway.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

orangeman

What's the chances of Big Joe and Mc Geeney landing a high profile and well paid job in Leinster ???

rrhf

Uladh

Quote from: orangeman on September 18, 2007, 12:46:10 PM
What's the chances of Big Joe and Mc Geeney landing a high profile and well paid job in Leinster ???

Zero if you're talking about them working together...

tyroneman

Heard a rumour from a fella in Lurgan that McGeeney is considering the Carlow job????

Thought it was strange initially but then again.............good place to cut the aul managerial teeth. Would command huge respect there I would imagine and with someone to help with tactics.........

orangeman

Uladh - why do you say that ?  I thought that they were big buddies and would make a dream team somewhere ??? No ? I know Mc Geeney sided with Grimley for the managers job, but I thought that this was just down to loyalty to the old guard ?

Uladh

I'm told McGeeney wouldn't stand in the same room as big Joe these days. but i never tought i'd see keano and moher theresa work together...

orangeman

Why did Joe and Mc Geeney fall out ? Was it over Grimley or some other issue ? I didn't think Mc Geeney would be like that - I thought he would have been too big an Armagh man to get invloved in a spat with Joe -  I must say I'm surprised.