Poppy Watch

Started by Orior, November 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muppet

Quote from: Dougal Maguire on November 06, 2010, 11:45:24 AM
Quote from: muppet on November 05, 2010, 09:42:27 PM
Surely watching the British Broadcasting Corporation and then giving out about it's 'Britishness' is like drinking saltwater and giving out about its saltiness. And then doing it over and over again.

I think you missed the point. Nobody is complaining about the BBC's Britishness, rather they're complaining about the fact that people appearing on the media are being forced to wear a poppy.

You chose that line of debate, citing Jon Snow, who will only wear his for one day.

I am referring to those who seem to take offense at anything British, while watching British TV.
MWWSI 2017

RealSpiritof98

I could never wear a symbol dedicated to the a person who shot a family member of mine dead, but I don't mind a English man wearing it in the honour of his grandfather. What really messes my head is these northern prods who take them off the their jacket when they get to work and put it on their tee-shirt

Fluffy Che

I'm for jury service tomorrow, will l be a headless poppy in a sea of scarlett ? l have no problem with British people wearing it to remember the dead, these were people who fought fascists and Nazis ( not loyalist bottom-feeders who wear it as they paint they're kerbs ) but how can l forget the thugs that served here? As proud as they are to wear it l am also as proud not to..
Midnight to Six..

Bogball XV

Quote from: RealSpiritof98 on November 07, 2010, 02:44:14 AM
I could never wear a symbol dedicated to the a person who shot a family member of mine dead, but I don't mind a English man wearing it in the honour of his grandfather. What really messes my head is these northern prods who take them off the their jacket when they get to work and put it on their tee-shirt
I don't even mind that too much, it's more the tossers who can hardly see out the car window for the 'wear your poppy with pride' stickers.  Remember a poppy's not just for the remembrance 6 weeks, buy a sticker and it's there for life!!

Joxer

Didnt see one on Eddie Jordan yesterday on the F1 on BBC1

Canalman

Would have been critical on Irishmen wearing poppies on British tv on the past but can see now that to not wear one would probably be career finishing.
Haven't seen a single poppy here in Dublin yet.................... usually see one or two (literally) every year.

Banana Man

I seen the brit contingent on the late late show on friday night for johnny giles' tribute were wearing them, I can only assume they brought them with them as no one else had them on and maybe i read too much into it but it seemed to be a blunt statement by 2 or 3 of them

i posted before on the grind my gears thread on poppies, some might not have seen it but the pint was some boy landed up to my house to sell them and when i declined he wouldn't take no for an answer, as someone else said, ironic given it is meant to symbolise the fight for freedom of speech etc

maldini

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

mylestheslasher

Bit of a joke of with Celtic. Its not like these fans broke a law by protesting against poppy's? It wasn't rascist or anything was it? So on what charge will they be banned? This is the nasty side of the poppy where freedom of choice is removed - for f**k sake the whole teams in scotland have to have it on their jersey for one weekend!

gerry

Quote from: Joxer on November 08, 2010, 10:57:00 AM
Didnt see one on Eddie Jordan yesterday on the F1 on BBC1

he wore one on saturday to

God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Orior

Quote from: mylestheslasher on November 08, 2010, 10:25:33 PM
Bit of a joke of with Celtic. Its not like these fans broke a law by protesting against poppy's? It wasn't rascist or anything was it? So on what charge will they be banned? This is the nasty side of the poppy where freedom of choice is removed - for f**k sake the whole teams in scotland have to have it on their jersey for one weekend!

Exactly.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

muppet

Gerry where is Eddie's poppy on that photo. All I see are three red dots which are much smaller than the poppy on Coulthard's shirt. Looks like blood or maybe he slaughtered his poppy into bits.
MWWSI 2017

mylestheslasher

Quote from: muppet on November 08, 2010, 11:14:52 PM
Gerry where is Eddie's poppy on that photo. All I see are three red dots which are much smaller than the poppy on Coulthard's shirt. Looks like blood or maybe he slaughtered his poppy into bits.

It's not a poppy its a fire extinguisher

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Keith Woods wore one on BBC for the Ireland game, it made me sick.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.