Pastors to be arrested in Houston for not sharing sermons with the gov.

Started by The Iceman, October 16, 2014, 07:20:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Iceman

So the openly gay Mayor of the City of Houston has issued a subpena for the sermons of all Pastors/Priests in the Houston Area that mentions homosexuality, transgender people or the mayor herself.
Any pastor who does not turn in their sermons will be held in contempt of court and arrested.

I know most if not all of us are for the separation of Church and state but surely it goes both ways (no pun intended)?
Surely it's not ok for legislation of this kind?

Check out the article and do more research if you like for other sources:
http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/10/14/city-houston-demands-pastors-turn-over-sermons/

I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

foxcommander

Quote from: The Iceman on October 16, 2014, 07:20:30 PM
So the openly gay Mayor of the City of Houston has issued a subpena for the sermons of all Pastors/Priests in the Houston Area that mentions homosexuality, transgender people or the mayor herself.
Any pastor who does not turn in their sermons will be held in contempt of court and arrested.

I know most if not all of us are for the separation of Church and state but surely it goes both ways (no pun intended)?

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2014/10/14/city-houston-demands-pastors-turn-over-sermons/

The minorities of the past are now going to abuse their powers to force changes to society into their way of thinking. While the teachings of some are not right they should have the right to say them. Let the people judge for themselves.
This however is censorship at its worst.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

muppet

Interesting row that alright.

On one hand, if anyone wrote and preached a sermon about me in Ireland, I could demand a copy under data protection legislation, but on the other hand: "The law, among other things, would allow men to use the ladies room and vice versa. " WTF like? Why would one want to, and anyway is it currently illegal?

This has the look of two drunks going to battle.

MWWSI 2017

The Iceman

Quote from: muppet on October 16, 2014, 07:41:43 PM
Interesting row that alright.

On one hand, if anyone wrote and preached a sermon about me in Ireland, I could demand a copy under data protection legislation, but on the other hand: "The law, among other things, would allow men to use the ladies room and vice versa. " WTF like? Why would one want to, and anyway is it currently illegal?

This has the look of two drunks going to battle.

I have no real problem with someone requesting a document that refers to someone directly for data protection purposes as you mention. I don't believe that outside of that the Mayor has any right to these documents or to arrest  anyone for not complying. Smells of a witch hunt to me.

I like your analogy though - well done :)
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Eamonnca1

gallsman

Interesting debate. Find it strange that the request from Mayor's office appears to only be focused on sexuality, which is obviously going to be a particular interest for an openly gay politician in Texas. Why not go after white supremacist groups or Muslims or Hindus or Chinese or Australians as well?

Also interesting that the stance of the churches has been "first amendment!". I don't think anyone is violating first amendment rights by asking for transcripts or recordings.

As for it smacking of a "witch hunt", that can only be the case if there is a witch to hunt. Of they're professing their profound belief against homosexuality, I'd see it as odious but perfectly legal free speech. If they're using hate speech, then it's different. The crux of the matter is what is the difference/boundary between expressing personal opinion and inflammatory hate speech? That's what this is about here, not the process by which one side becomes aware of what the other is saying.

barryqwalsh

Quote from: foxcommander on October 16, 2014, 07:26:26 PM
Quote from: The Iceman on October 16, 2014, 07:20:30 PM

The minorities of the past are now going to abuse their powers to force changes to society into their way of thinking. While the teachings of some are not right they should have the right to say them. Let the people judge for themselves.
This however is censorship at its worst.

Send Donal Óg over, he'll sort it out!

Pangurban

Liberalism exposed as it really is, suppression in another guise