2019 All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championship

Started by MasterJ, July 01, 2019, 10:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keyser Söze

You are ignoring the obvious Hesh.
Young lads are given a programme of games from 8 years of age to 17 of years of age in football from end of the county to the other.
Therefore, young lads who show a proficiency will be spotted and asked to attend football trials, or decide to attend themselves.
This opportunity is not given from 8-17 in hurling.

If a 7 year old in Borris, Ballacolla or Rathdowney wants to try football he wanders down to his local field once a week, or once a fortnight at worst.
If a 7 year old in X, Y or Z wants to try hurling he...........What? Depends on parents to bring him 20 minutes away to play with kids he doesn't know? We all know parents are taxi drivers at this stage, rushing around dropping Kid A here and picking up Kid B there. Their is neither the time nor the will to do this. Particularly as there is no history of hurling in this area, the parents probably never hurled, are they going to go to all of this effort? No.

By not exposing our entire captive audience to the game at 7, 8, 9 & 10 we are already deciding that we don't need/want/have access to 50% of our county. Who is making the choice that these 7, 8, 9 & 10 year olds won't be exposed to it? It's not them!

Take U15 Development Squads.
Football mentors can go and have a look at
Portlaoise
Graiguecullen
Ballyroan
Na Fianna (The Arles'??)
Portarlington
St. Pauls
St Joseph's
Ballylinan
Killeshin
The Heath
Stradbally
Kilcavan The Rock
Mountmellick
Park Ratheniska Spink
Rosenallis
Ballyfin
The Harps
Castletown
Camross
Clough Ballacolla

The Hurling mentors can go and see
Portlaoise
The Harps
Abbeyleix
Camross
Castletown
Rathdowney Errill
Clough Ballacolla
Park Ratheniska Timahoe
Borris Kilcotton
Na Fianna (Ballyfin Mountmellick??)
Ballinakill
Rosenallis
Raheen
Mountrath

Thats 20 teams Vs 14 teams.
Thats 90 extra kids playing U15 football when there is a round of games on.

I've said this before 10-15 year olds will play anything! If you told them there was a competitive game of hide and seek there'd be 20 of them at the pitch waiting.
There is no reason there can't be a development division at 11/13/15/17 for any clubs that don't currently enter competitive teams. Anyone who feels they wish to step up to the next divisions, more than welcome.
If you an U11 football team, there is no reason you can't have an U11 hurling team. Actually, there is no excuse for not having one.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

clonadmad

Quote from: Heshs Umpire on July 08, 2019, 10:45:02 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on July 08, 2019, 05:20:52 PM
Quote from: Heshs Umpire on July 08, 2019, 04:51:49 PM
Quote from: clonadmad on July 08, 2019, 01:29:37 PM
Quote from: BallyroanAbu on July 08, 2019, 01:06:59 PM
Because he seems to have a similar attitude to football,  we will all have to live together.  Biggest problem Laois GAA has is non participation not which sport they pick.  If every child in Laois played sport that would be far better than trying to one up each other.

The biggest problem is whole swathes of laois clubs not allowing hurling in their gates.

Start with that,the non participation in hurling
I'm not sure "not allowing hurling in their gates" is entirely fair or accurate. Not in all cases anyway.
For sure, there's not much interest in hurling in big parts of Laois but the same applies to football in big parts of the county too.
Look, we all know that the hurling clubs put out a football team but it doesn't equate to encouraging football.
Cyril Duggan was principal in Emo school there for a number of years and did his best to get hurling going and a few lads stuck with it and now hurl with Mountmellick.
Anyone from Stradbally or The Heath could play with Park Ratheniska. Anyone from Crettyard or Killeshin or Joseph's could play with Ballypickas or Ballinakill.

Remarkable comment

the so called hurling clubs have football teams,give similar time at juvenile level to coaching and player development to both codes and play games every second week and this "does'nt equate to encouraging football"!!!!!

Well I look forward to the day when the football clubs in the county do similar for hurling

and then in the same breath you suggest driving kids out of their home clubs to clubs 20/30mins away, from their existing clubs if they want to play hurling

Remarkable just remarkable.

So you're telling me that Camross, Rathdowney, Ballacolla and so on "give similar time at juvenile level to coaching and player development to both codes"?
I could say that St Paul's do the same with our under 11 and under 13 hurling teams but I'm not going to.
And what 30 minute drive did I suggest? Would it be as far as when Rob Jones kicked football with Timahoe? Or Brendan and Ger Reddin with Mountmellick? Darren Maher with Annanough?
I'm not convinced that putting out juvenile teams up to maybe under 15 and having a junior B or c team too is really "encouraging football".

Well Camross,Rathdowney,Ballacolla are doing more to develop football within their clubs  than any number of football clubs are doing to develop hurling.

That's the bottom line 

clonadmad

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 08, 2019, 11:06:03 PM
Young lads are given a programme of games from 8 years of age to 17 of years of age in football from end of the county to the other.
Therefore, young lads who show a proficiency will be spotted and asked to attend football trials, or decide to attend themselves.

If a 7 year old in Borris, Ballacolla or Rathdowney wants to try football he wanders down to his local field once a week, or once a fortnight at worst.
If a 7 year old in X, Y or Z wants to try hurling he...........What? Depends on parents to bring him 20 minutes away to play with kids he doesn't know? We all know parents are taxi drivers at this stage, rushing around dropping Kid A here and picking up Kid B there. Their is neither the time nor the will to do this. Particularly as there is no history of hurling in this area, the parents probably never hurled, are they going to go to all of this effort? No.

By not exposing our entire captive audience to the game at 7, 8, 9 & 10 we are already deciding that we don't need/want/have access to 50% of our county. Who is making the choice that these 7, 8, 9 & 10 year olds won't be exposed to it? It's not them!

Portlaoise
Graiguecullen
Ballyroan
Na Fianna (The Arles'??)
Portarlington
St. Pauls
St Joseph's
Ballylinan
Killeshin
The Heath
Stradbally
Kilcavan The Rock
Mountmellick
Park Ratheniska Spink
Rosenallis
Ballyfin
The Harps
Castletown
Camross
Clough Ballacolla

Portlaoise
The Harps
Abbeyleix
Camross
Castletown
Rathdowney Errill
Clough Ballacolla
Park Ratheniska Timahoe
Borris Kilcotton
Ballinakill
Rosenallis
Raheen
Mountrath

I've said this before 10-15 year olds will play anything! If you told them there was a competitive game of hide and seek there'd be 20 of them at the pitch waiting.
There is no reason there can't be a development division at 11/13/15/17 for any clubs that don't currently enter competitive teams. Anyone who feels they wish to step up to the next divisions, more than welcome.
If you an U11 football team, there is no reason you can't have an U11 hurling team. Actually, there is no excuse for not having one.

Nail on the f**king head,Keyser

burdizzo

I accept that hurling some hurling clubs are not too interested in being 'competitive' at football. Why would they? It'd only dilute their efforts at hurling. Also, I accept that some football clubs don't want hurling - for the same reason. Fair enough. However, it is true that almost all hurling clubs allow football at some level, and the same certainly cannot be said for football clubs. The example of St. Paul's has been raised: last year they were in a successful amalgamation w/ Portarlington, and won the u13 B Championship. This year, at u13, St. Paul's split away, ostensibly because they had enough numbers to field on their own. However, the suspicion is that Emo really wanted to quash the hurling success, by having an uncompetitive u13 team, which is what has happened. Portarlington, is seems, are going from strength to strength at u13, thanks to the determination of a few individuals, but whether these hurlers will be allowed to progress to adult level in that club is very much an open question. As someone who is interested in hurling, I'd like to think so, but the vibes wouldn't be great.

Graiguecullen affiliated a hurling team in Division 5 this year, but didn't play a single match. Slieve Margy wasn't exactly encouraged in the Joseph's area, either, so...

Worse, however, is that old chestnut of underage hurling in Portlaoise

Keyser Söze

Now is the time.
Do something.

Off the top of my head
Give our senior hurling panel a few quid in travelling expenses. Invite clubs that don't currently have teams entered into an "U13 Summer League". Anyone who enters gets four weekly sessions with a pair of senior county hurlers. We are talking about 10 clubs max, 20 players involved, each pair of players is on the road one night a week for 4 weeks.
A games centre one night a week with GDAs as referees etc.

Finish with a Super Games Centre in O Moore Park, 2 or 3 finals, graded on previous results.
A long puck competition
Penalty shoot out
A BBQ.

Let's see what clubs decline the invite! And let them explain to parents and kids why, when they start asking their mentors why their friend Johnny was in OMP last night with his club.

Disclaimer: Obviously that's a back of a fag box type idea! 

The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

LooseCannon

Quote from: burdizzo on July 08, 2019, 11:34:57 PM
Quote from: LooseCannon on July 08, 2019, 11:02:46 PM
Well done on last weekend.

Thanks.
Relegate Dublin next year now.😉
Seriously though, I wasn't completely surprised. Ye'll put it up to the lot of them in Leinster next year.
Best of luck v Tipp. Can't stand them at all.

Mossy Bruce

Quote from: LooseCannon on July 08, 2019, 11:42:39 PM

Thanks.
Seriously though, I wasn't completely surprised. Ye'll put it up to the lot of them in Leinster next year.
Best of luck v Tipp. Can't stand them at all.
Now that's something to look forward to!
LAOIS! LAOIS! LAOIS!

imtommygunn

LooseCannon

Quote from: imtommygunn on July 09, 2019, 12:03:38 AM
Sure Dublin finished ahead of Galway...
Relegate them then, better again. Maybe the Connacht championship might start up again.

Leixlad

I think of all the media, articles and podcasts this one is my fav! Who'd have believed we would be ranked one place behind Kilkenny in hurling and have them playing a curtain raiser to us in Croke Park!  ;D
What a great few days to be a Laois hurling fan and roll on Sunday! 8) 8)

Ranking the last 6 hurling counties standing
When the final whistle blew in O'Moore Park on Sunday the scenes were akin to Jones Road in September.

Laois had pulled off the biggest shock of the year, dumping Dublin out of the championship and securing their spot in the All-Ireland quarter final against Tipperary.

Cork were also in action, they racked up 1-40 against Westmeath in their preliminary quarter-final.

As the dust settles on another weekend of hurling it's time to rank the remaining six counties.

1. Limerick

John Kiely's side are still out in front in the race for the Liam MacCarthy. Their impressive display against Tipperary in the Munster final gives them an invincible tag.

It was expected they might struggle to deal with the target on their backs but it certainly doesn't appear to weigh heavy.

Their defence has been particularly impressive and John Kiely will undoubtedly be happy with the way they contained Tipperary's sharp shooters.

2. Tipperary

Despite Tipperary losing to Limerick they haven't gone away.

Their resurrection under Liam Sheedy is still on track however the injuries to Bonner Maher and Cathal Barrett will be cause for concern.

They will face Laois on Sunday who are on a three-week run of games so Tipperary will look to exploit that tiredness in the wide open spaces of Croke Park.

3. Wexford

How the Leinster teams will fare against their Munster counterparts is still up for discussion but Davy Fitzgerald's side are the only remaining unbeaten Tier 1 team left.

They look very comfortable tactically under Fitzgerald's watchful eye and have a solid defence and attack.

Their form is peaking at the right time.

4. Cork

Cork remain the hardest to figure out and even after their demolition of Westmeath it's hard to know how consistent they will be in the latter stages of the championship.

Back to back semi-final appearances show they are capable of getting to the top table but can they deliver the ultimate prize?.

Patrick Horgan, Alan Cadogan and Shane Kingston scored 20 points between them against Westmeath.

5. Kilkenny

Kilkenny are not the force they once were but are still a force to be reckoned with.

They haven't won the All-Ireland since 2015 and the Leinster final was their third game in-a-row without a win.

Their injured players have returned to fitness but Cody will be hoping a return to form follows.

6. Laois

Laois surprised everyone when they defeated Dublin in the All-Ireland hurling preliminary quarter-finals. Next up is Tipperary who will be wounded after their loss to Limerick.

It will be a third came on the trot for Eddie Brennan's side, although they looked fresh against Dublin meeting Tipperary in Croke Park will be an entirely different prospect than the Dubs.

After Sunday's victory Laois manager Eddie Brennan commended his side.

"They could have been forgiven for going through the motions this week, and saying we're going to enjoy the summer, but they really tucked into it.

"Today we were absolutely brilliant in the execution.

"As the year went on, the skill and the heart grew in them. They're the things that stand to a team when you're in a battle, and your back is to the wall.

"It was their spirit today."

MasterJ

Quote from: Mossy Bruce on July 08, 2019, 11:57:17 PM
Quote from: LooseCannon on July 08, 2019, 11:42:39 PM

Thanks.
Seriously though, I wasn’t completely surprised. Ye’ll put it up to the lot of them in Leinster next year.
Best of luck v Tipp. Can’t stand them at all.
Now that's something to look forward to!

We will do our best! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

Don Draper

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 08, 2019, 11:06:03 PM

Portlaoise
Graiguecullen
Ballyroan
Na Fianna (The Arles'??)
Portarlington
St. Pauls
St Joseph's
Ballylinan
Killeshin
The Heath
Stradbally
Kilcavan The Rock
Mountmellick
Park Ratheniska Spink
Rosenallis
Ballyfin
The Harps
Castletown
Camross
Clough Ballacolla

Portlaoise
The Harps
Abbeyleix
Camross
Castletown
Rathdowney Errill
Clough Ballacolla
Park Ratheniska Timahoe
Borris Kilcotton
Ballinakill
Rosenallis
Raheen
Mountrath

Thats an outstanding post.

SCFC

Quote from: clonadmad on July 08, 2019, 11:06:13 PM
Because he seems to have a similar attitude to football,  we will all have to live together.  Biggest problem Laois GAA has is non participation not which sport they pick.  If every child in Laois played sport that would be far better than trying to one up each other.

The biggest problem is whole swathes of laois clubs not allowing hurling in their gates.

I'm not sure "not allowing hurling in their gates" is entirely fair or accurate. Not in all cases anyway.
For sure, there's not much interest in hurling in big parts of Laois but the same applies to football in big parts of the county too.
Look, we all know that the hurling clubs put out a football team but it doesn't equate to encouraging football.
Cyril Duggan was principal in Emo school there for a number of years and did his best to get hurling going and a few lads stuck with it and now hurl with Mountmellick.
Anyone from Stradbally or The Heath could play with Park Ratheniska. Anyone from Crettyard or Killeshin or Joseph's could play with Ballypickas or Ballinakill.

Remarkable comment

the so called hurling clubs have football teams,give similar time at juvenile level to coaching and player development to both codes and play games every second week and this "does'nt equate to encouraging football"!!!!!

Well I look forward to the day when the football clubs in the county do similar for hurling

and then in the same breath you suggest driving kids out of their home clubs to clubs 20/30mins away, from their existing clubs if they want to play hurling

So you're telling me that Camross, Rathdowney, Ballacolla and so on "give similar time at juvenile level to coaching and player development to both codes"?
I could say that St Paul's do the same with our under 11 and under 13 hurling teams but I'm not going to.
And what 30 minute drive did I suggest? Would it be as far as when Rob Jones kicked football with Timahoe? Or Brendan and Ger Reddin with Mountmellick? Darren Maher with Annanough?
I'm not convinced that putting out juvenile teams up to maybe under 15 and having a junior B or c team too is really "encouraging football".

Well Camross,Rathdowney,Ballacolla are doing more to develop football within their clubs  than any number of football clubs are doing to develop hurling.

That's the bottom line
No one in Camross gives a flying f**k about football. And everyone knows that. I've seen it with my own eyes. It's a complete laugh to them. And you can say the same about plenty of other clubs west of Portlaoise. Just the same as no-one in Arles or Stradbally has the slightest interest in hurling.

Don Draper

Quote from: SCFC on July 09, 2019, 09:21:23 AM
Quote from: clonadmad on July 08, 2019, 11:06:13 PM

Remarkable comment

That's the bottom line
No one in Camross gives a flying f**k about football. And everyone knows that. I've seen it with my own eyes. It's a complete laugh to them. And you can say the same about plenty of other clubs west of Portlaoise. Just the same as no-one in Arles or Stradbally has the slightest interest in hurling.
Untrue. Its moved on a lot up there. Sure, they'll still obviously give dominance to hurling, but they've given us an intercounty football midfielder and are competitive when they care at underage football in the divisions they're in. They'll toss a football match in the morning if it interferes with hurling, but thats understood and everyone goes with it.