2018 NFL Division 1

Started by Kuwabatake Sanjuro, January 02, 2018, 09:17:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ball Hopper

It is important do pick up as many points as possible at home.  Doing well at home should put any county toward the middle of the table.  Donegal, Kerry, Mayo, and Tyrone have three home games, while the others have four.  Mayo seem to have the toughest home schedule with Kerry, Dublin and Tyrone all going west of the Shannon this year.  If Kerry can avoid their usual poor league start against Donegal in Killarney, home points are expected from Galway and Kildare as well. 

Tyrone have three interesting home games as well.  For those tipping Donegal for relegation, note both Galway and Kildare will be visitors to the north west.

Is it better to have the stronger teams at home, especially in the early rounds?

Here is the list of teams home games...

Donegal 3 (Galway, Kildare, Mayo)
Dublin 4 (Kildare, Donegal, Kerry, Monaghan)

Galway 4 (Tyrone, Mayo, Monaghan, Dublin)
Kerry 3 (Donegal, Galway, Kildare)

Kildare 4 (Monaghan, Tyrone, Mayo, Galway)
Mayo 3 (Kerry, Dublin, Tyrone)

Monaghan 4 (Mayo, Kerry, Tyrone, Donegal)
Tyrone 3 (Dublin, Donegal, Kerry)

Captain Obvious

Quote from: Ball Hopper on January 23, 2018, 12:46:11 AM

Is it better to have the stronger teams at home, especially in the early rounds?

Yes as they won't be full strength in the early rounds.

MayoBuck

It is important do pick up as many points as possible at home.  Doing well at home should put any county toward the middle of the table.  Donegal, Kerry, Mayo, and Tyrone have three home games, while the others have four.  Mayo seem to have the toughest home schedule with Kerry, Dublin and Tyrone all going west of the Shannon this year.  If Kerry can avoid their usual poor league start against Donegal in Killarney, home points are expected from Galway and Kildare as well. 

Tyrone have three interesting home games as well.  For those tipping Donegal for relegation, note both Galway and Kildare will be visitors to the north west.

Mayo's home from in the league over the last few years has been terrible so we're the exception to the rule.

redhandefender

Looking forward to the Dubs in Omagh, can't see it have any relevance to later in the year but should be a good fiery occasion.

Saturday night game to so hopefully the towns hopping afterwards

Maroon Manc

Quote from: MayoBuck on January 23, 2018, 08:50:07 AM

Mayo's home from in the league over the last few years has been terrible so we're the exception to the rule.

Galways form at home the last few years has been shocking in both championship and league.

Fuzzman

Yes RHD so am I or at least I was until I had my bubble burst a few back

For me I'd love to see this as a REAL chance to lay down a marker the way the Dubs did back in 2006 in the first BOO (Battle of Omagh)

Some might say so what if Tyrone lay into them and its only Dublin thirds but in my eyes this is a great opportunity to stand up and beat this team in a once off game rather than take this "Ahh sure its means nothing in February" attitude.

Yeah I'd love to see a feisty Sat night atmosphere with the crowd really getting behind the Dubs. The Dubs need to realise they can't just come up there and expect an easy game, even with their 3rd team.

I'll nearly hope Moy lose so we have Colm back for it.

redhandefender

I wouldn't want to give Dublin any extra motivation should we meet down the line.

Captain Scarlet

I am being positive for now...Kildare by three. The main Dubs can't be fully right and would be on a later regime of tough training. Great chance for points on the board against a shower that will take them off most others.
What kind of team will Dublin field?
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

slippery dodger

seafoid

Quote from: redhandefender on January 23, 2018, 12:59:03 PM
I wouldn't want to give Dublin any extra motivation should we meet down the line.
Tyrone used to have more of a fág an bealach attitude.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on January 23, 2018, 02:41:59 PM

One that will still be comfortably better than Kildare's. Hopefully the Maynooth players conserved energy today as they were beat after a few minutes.

Cunny Funt

I am being positive for now...Kildare by three. The main Dubs can't be fully right and would be on a later regime of tough training. Great chance for points on the board against a shower that will take them off most others.

Team they played in round 1 last year.

Stephen Cluxton
Michael Fitzsimons, Philip McMahon, Jack McCaffrey
James McCarthy John Small, Eric Lowndes
Brian Fenton  Michael Darragh Macauley
Ciaran Kilkenny Kevin McManamon  Paul Mannion
Dean Rock  Niall Scully Jason Whelan

Beffs

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 23, 2018, 12:38:53 PM
Yes RHD so am I or at least I was until I had my bubble burst a few back

For me I'd love to see this as a REAL chance to lay down a marker the way the Dubs did back in 2006 in the first BOO (Battle of Omagh)

Some might say so what if Tyrone lay into them and its only Dublin thirds but in my eyes this is a great opportunity to stand up and beat this team in a once off game rather than take this "Ahh sure its means nothing in February" attitude.

Yeah I'd love to see a feisty Sat night atmosphere with the crowd really getting behind the Dubs. The Dubs need to realise they can't just come up there and expect an easy game, even with their 3rd team.

I'll nearly hope Moy lose so we have Colm back for it.

The Dubs never have an easy game up in Omagh, even when they play their A team. Dunno why you are assuming that they will expect an easy game, when they haven't had one before.

redhandefender

Quote from: seafoid on January 23, 2018, 06:49:39 PM
Quote from: redhandefender on January 23, 2018, 12:59:03 PM
Tyrone used to have more of a fág an bealach attitude.

Not saying that, harte will be trying to win it like, just think there may be  a more clever way to go about it this year

Hound

Quote from: Fuzzman on January 23, 2018, 12:38:53 PM

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 23, 2018, 08:49:29 PM

Team they played in round 1 last year.

Stephen Cluxton
Michael Fitzsimons, Philip McMahon, Jack McCaffrey
James McCarthy John Small, Eric Lowndes
Brian Fenton  Michael Darragh Macauley
Ciaran Kilkenny Kevin McManamon  Paul Mannion
Dean Rock  Niall Scully Jason Whelan

Certainly won't be Dubs 3rd team playing in the league. This should largely be the first team, although presumably there'll be plenty of rust to knock off in the first few games. Expect there to be 3 or 4 new faces given a chance. Shane Carthy (Nh Mearnog) who was around the fringes a couple of years ago is back and expected to challenge. Brian Howard (Raheny) another who could well get a start.

Be interesting to see where old stagers Macauley, Flynn and Brogan find themselves in the pecking order given they all have committed to go again. And of course the question of whether there is or isn't an issue between Gavin and Connolly.

Not many players will want to be rested as possession of the jersey tends to be important. Though not sure about the injury situation (apart from McCaffrey definitely being out). Any lad who has a niggle that needs resting won't be risked.