Rule Change Needed to Stop Puke Keep-Ball

Started by cjx, July 15, 2018, 11:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

From the Bunker

Quote from: trailer on July 20, 2018, 11:28:19 AM
Quote from: ONeill on July 20, 2018, 12:28:49 AM
There is such a scrutiny on entertainment now. Football was never attractive bar the odd clinker of a game. Only the top 2/3 sides, when they clashed, produced top quality skilful entertainment. The 80s were shit. The 90s produced some wars of attrition in Ulster but no AI final like the last few now. The 00s again when the top 2/3 met. Same as now.

Correct. People don't know they are born. Football has been better than it ever has been. Some people can't think for themselves and listen to Brolly et al.

I thought when I went a bit berserk on the shot clock idea people might have put some thought into new rules, but alas no. Still some crazy stupid ideas floating about on this thread.

I don't know. The last to meeting between Mayo and Galway were the quietest matches I've been at in a long time. This years game you could hear the players shouting instruction on the pitch. It's kinda eerie when the people around you are on their phones and talking about some general news events.

My young fella (9) loves to play the game. He would spend an evening in the back garden practicing. But has no heed on the Intercounty game as a spectacle. In contrast he'd watch Liverpool and Ireland in Soccer! And loved the World Cup.

ONeill

That is true alright. Spectating has evolved. Tyrone's games in Ulster last year were eerie.

Unless it's two average sides with no real tactical nous, say like Roscommon and Armagh - or two excellent sides like Mayo and Dublin last year who can play any way you want - there are less 50/50s or men blindly lumping the ball up the field to a yahoooo from the crowd. That's because of possession football...which makes sense...every ball is crucial. Footballers are smarter, managers are smarter.

If the spectacle is more important, then a rule change is needed to keep that end happy.

Or we could bring in a bit of singing during the lull periods.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

From the Bunker

Quote from: ONeill on July 21, 2018, 04:07:13 PM
That is true alright. Spectating has evolved. Tyrone's games in Ulster last year were eerie.

Unless it's two average sides with no real tactical nous, say like Roscommon and Armagh - or two excellent sides like Mayo and Dublin last year who can play any way you want - there are less 50/50s or men blindly lumping the ball up the field to a yahoooo from the crowd. That's because of possession football...which makes sense...every ball is crucial. Footballers are smarter, managers are smarter.

If the spectacle is more important, then a rule change is needed to keep that end happy.

Or we could bring in a bit of singing during the lull periods.

You see it's the spectacle that draws in the kids. And kids are the future. What has happened to Gaelic football is like what has happened to Snooker. The Gung-ho attitude of Higgins was replaced by the thoughtful play of Steve Davis, then Hendry/Higgins and this led to the more boring spectacle Snooker is today! Bar the mad genius that is O'Sullivan.

That said my lad who does not watch - Plays and enjoys it!

Jinxy

Interesting to note Aussie Rules is in a similar state of chassis re rule changes at the moment.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mrdeeds

Quote from: Jinxy on July 21, 2018, 05:01:47 PM
Interesting to note Aussie Rules is in a similar state of chassis re rule changes at the moment.

Yeah but apparently the reaction from fans has being negative and want it left alone.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Again today every time Kilkenny runs backwards he takes a minimum 6 steps, hopefully somewhere along the line a competent referee will penalise him.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: highorlow on July 16, 2018, 09:12:16 AM
QuoteThe problem with a shot clock is that an extra official therefore is required at every match. I'm not so sure any club would want another few thousand per year in referee fees.

The ref wears watchs I believe.

I see the paranoid Dub is on here having a go. This is not about Dublin.

The refs can barely keep up as it is
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

CumminsCiderLarry

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on July 21, 2018, 10:23:14 PM
Again today every time Kilkenny runs backwards he takes a minimum 6 steps, hopefully somewhere along the line a competent referee will penalise him.

Watch Paul Cribbin and Daniel Flynn for the steps tomorrow

cjx

started this
now after matches yesterday as well I believe 1or 2 minute shot clock in second half is now vital with a timekeeper like 'Ladies' women's matches (timekeeper only for County matches obviously).
The crowd could join in the countdown and hassle the keep ballers into doing something interesting. handpass makes keep ball so easy and tackle so ill-defined getting frees from  tackling is easy inhibiting response a bit. But (off topic) what the hell is going to be done to stop refs destroying matches rules are much easier to interpret than rugby which I know moves differently but so many games getting destroyed. So much for added fitness watching Coldrick wandering around yesterday

mrdeeds

Maybe Dublin have being the problem all along. This game is brilliant.

longballin

Two teams going at each otherbfull tilt great to see...

Jinxy

I think I've figured out why some high-scoring games bore me to tears and others have me on the edge of my seat.
You can have a high-scoring game which is full of slow build-up play, with a team going over and back on the 45m line before they find a gap and someone goes through and pops it over from the edge of the D.
Regardless of the end result, this is boring to watch.
It's like watching a pair of centres in rugby constantly bashing up the middle until they find a gap.
Whereas this game now is flowing up and down the field.
It has momentum.
People love to see a player kicking a score on the run following the charge of the light brigade up the field.
When the charge of the light brigade falters at the 45m line and becomes the sideways shuffle of the light brigade, people don't enjoy that, even if it does eventually result in a score.

tonto1888

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on July 21, 2018, 10:23:14 PM

Nearly every player does it

Jinxy

Jinxy

I see Colm Parkinson tweeting today about introducing an offensive mark into the game.
Given how well the mark from the kick-out has worked, would an offensive mark inside the 21 yard line be worth looking at?
It'd be some craic with the ball being hoofed in with the last kick of the game.
Incidentally, Parkinson's idea was prompted by Zach Tuohy's game-winner for Geelong at the weekend.

https://twitter.com/AFL/status/1020640729624870913