Who will win the 2024 Ulster title

Donegal
27 (56.3%)
Armagh
21 (43.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: April 27, 2024, 08:54:31 PM

JoG2

Quote from: J70 on May 09, 2024, 12:10:39 AMI don't know. I just have visions of Rian O'Neill giving a Tohillesque tour de force, driving Armagh on to win through sheer force of will.

Pundits leaning Armagh from what I've heard so far. "It's their time!" seems to be the consensus.

O'Neill will do well to see out the game!

tonto1888

Quote from: JoG2 on May 09, 2024, 07:33:53 AM
Quote from: J70 on May 09, 2024, 12:10:39 AMI don't know. I just have visions of Rian O'Neill giving a Tohillesque tour de force, driving Armagh on to win through sheer force of will.

Pundits leaning Armagh from what I've heard so far. "It's their time!" seems to be the consensus.

on what basis?

Armagh18

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 09, 2024, 07:47:02 AM

on what basis?
He didn't bury Shane McGuigan for biting him last year so I'm sure the Donegal boys won't be able to goad him into anything.

Orior

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 09, 2024, 07:52:07 AM

on what basis?
He didn't bury Shane McGuigan for biting him last year so I'm sure the Donegal boys won't be able to goad him into anything.

Fermanagh tried to wind up Rian right from the end of the parade but it didn't work.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

JoG2

on what basis?

He's a hothead...could have went 3 times with close fist tackles / hits along the Gerry Arthur side last year.

thebigfullforward

Quote from: Orior on May 09, 2024, 08:48:15 AM

on what basis?

Fermanagh tried to wind up Rian right from the end of the parade but it didn't work.
He also put his knee to Cormac Quinns head/neck in '23 championship. He's definitely hot headed

tonto1888

Quote from: JoG2 on May 09, 2024, 08:51:43 AM

on what basis?

He's a hothead...could have went 3 times with close fist tackles / hits along the Gerry Arthur side last year.

he looks to have settled some this year, albeit he hasnt played an awful lot. I hope he has as we wont win without him

Armagh18

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 09, 2024, 09:24:44 AM

on what basis?

he looks to have settled some this year, albeit he hasnt played an awful lot. I hope he has as we wont win without him
Think he's definitely learned to play on the edge not over it. Absolutely we need him in top form to have any hope

yellowcard

Quote from: Armagh18 on May 09, 2024, 09:30:34 AM
Quote from: tonto1888 on May 09, 2024, 09:24:44 AM

on what basis?

Think he's definitely learned to play on the edge not over it. Absolutely we need him in top form to have any hope

It has worked out well playing him around the middle in the last few games since he can play his way into the game, get on the ball a lot more and therefore he doesn't get as frustrated as when he is playing inside. The break has done him good and his long range kicking ability and free taking will be vital on Sunday.   

tbrick18

Quote from: armaghniac on May 08, 2024, 08:16:41 PM
Quote from: tbrick18 on May 08, 2024, 07:00:59 PMBut they've done nothing in recent years to show they have the nerve to win a big game - I think they are just short a few players and need to focus on the football and not the physical antics they often get themselves involved in. If they focus on playing their own game and I think they'll do better than trying to out-tactic Donegal.

What physical antics? Have they been giving away more frees than the opposition? Have they had more cards?

Ok it may be a subjective view, but Armagh seem to overly focus on trying to out-muscle other teams. Often resulting in cards, sometimes resulting in spendings off. Example is last year's ulster final - it was a game Armagh could have won (especially given the circumstances around Derry), game almost over and Rian O'Neill made a bee line for McGuigan and took him down at shoulder height conceding a free which ultimately cost Armagh the game. No reckless physical tackle, Armagh win.
Armagh have been involved in a number of incidents over recent years with melee's and multiple sendings off.
Rian is close to being a liability in my view - undoubtedly very talented, but he's just as likely to get himself sent off in the first 10 minutes as he is to putting in a match winning performance imo.

That's what I mean by physical antics.
I've not issue with teams playing an aggressive game, but Armagh seem to step over the line more often than others. In my opinion, reigning that part of the game in a little and focusing more on footballing side of it will be of more benefit to Armagh.

tbrick18

on what basis?

That was big of him.
If Rian hadn't just fouled McGuigan needlessly, Armagh probably won that game. As for biting - I think that argument has been had and there was no clear evidence of biting. If there was, he should have got the line, but there wasn't even a retrospective view on it - so nothing to see there.

tbrick18

Sacrilege to even mention Rian O'Neill in the same sentence as Tohill!
One was a complete footballer who won everything there was to win in the game, a absolute collosus widely regarded as one of the best midfielders to ever play.
The other is Rian somebody.

tonto1888

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 09, 2024, 11:39:12 AM

Sacrilege to even mention Rian O'Neill in the same sentence as Tohill!
One was a complete footballer who won everything there was to win in the game, a absolute collosus widely regarded as one of the best midfielders to ever play.
The other is Rian somebody.

you could always look at your first sentence to see his name

tonto1888

Quote from: tbrick18 on May 09, 2024, 11:33:32 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on May 08, 2024, 07:00:59 PMBut they've done nothing in recent years to show they have the nerve to win a big game - I think they are just short a few players and need to focus on the football and not the physical antics they often get themselves involved in. If they focus on playing their own game and I think they'll do better than trying to out-tactic Donegal.

What physical antics? Have they been giving away more frees than the opposition? Have they had more cards?

Ok it may be a subjective view, but Armagh seem to overly focus on trying to out-muscle other teams. Often resulting in cards, sometimes resulting in spendings off. Example is last year's ulster final - it was a game Armagh could have won (especially given the circumstances around Derry), game almost over and Rian O'Neill made a bee line for McGuigan and took him down at shoulder height conceding a free which ultimately cost Armagh the game. No reckless physical tackle, Armagh win.
Armagh have been involved in a number of incidents over recent years with melee's and multiple sendings off.
Rian is close to being a liability in my view - undoubtedly very talented, but he's just as likely to get himself sent off in the first 10 minutes as he is to putting in a match winning performance imo.

I've not issue with teams playing an aggressive game, but Armagh seem to step over the line more often than others. In my opinion, reigning that part of the game in a little and focusing more on footballing side of it will be of more benefit to Armagh.

you havent watched much of armagh this year. Thankfully we look to have left a lot of that nonsense behind.
How often has Rian been sent off in the first ten minutes by the way?

Armagh18

Quote from: tonto1888 on May 09, 2024, 11:52:51 AM
Quote from: tbrick18 on May 09, 2024, 11:33:32 AM

you havent watched much of armagh this year. Thankfully we look to have left a lot of that nonsense behind.
How often has Rian been sent off in the first ten minutes by the way?
What was the last bit of shite we were involved in? Galway 2022?