Colm O'Rourke vs. the GPA

Started by Jinxy, October 26, 2014, 07:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 16, 2022, 08:57:07 PM
Even lockdown it was clear as day teams were breaching the rules left, right and centre. How could they police sessions in a week.

Good question. Really good question. You'd expect word to seep out eventually, but its then catching squads in the act.

But you'd definitely put the GPA in their box as they'd have no grounds to gurn about the time they spend on the sport. If its too much, its self-admission of wrongdoing.

i usse an speelchekor

Wildweasel74

Reduce the standard. I argue the standard no better than the 90's I actually said its worse. Meath, Kildare, Down, Derry, Cork, Galway,Laois, all were better teams then compared to now no matter how much you train the current crop. .back then at least a forward coukd take a free on the ground, no they need the keepers.

fearbrags

When in the  lockdown and "" it was clear as day teams were breaching the rules left, right and centre.""

Somebody Needs to Ask  Parsons Were  the players  ""being compensated for loss of wages "" then,  when they weren't suppose to be training , and if so Who was Compensating them ??  And if not  did they not care then ??

imtommygunn

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on March 16, 2022, 11:12:07 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on March 16, 2022, 08:57:07 PMReduce the standard and you probably reduce the money coming in too.

... and?

No problem with reducing money. Not saying it's me has the problem with it! The super 8s, which were a terrible idea, made it clear to me how much the whole thing had become about money.

Ww it's different now. The game is about "process" and there has become significant risk aversion. You watch the good Dublin team and they just kept ball until they worked into scorable position with a high chance of scoring. Other teams try but only Dublin were good enough to continually work into a good enough position. That kind of thing is killing the game. I went to a game in the lowest division in my own county and one team, who were getting hammered, had three sweepers.

During lockdown I watched the 94 down Derry game, which I was at at the time, and it was fantastic but what was apparent to me was that when defenders got the ball it wasn't keep possession at all costs it was get the ball up the field and if it was lost so be it.

themac_23

I actually think by reducing the training to 2 collective trainings a week it would close some of the gaps appearing. In smaller counties the average age of players is very young, the reason being players with busy jobs and or young families have to prioritise these over football commitments, look at some of the so called weaker counties their average age would be younger than bigger counties. Less commitment will make it easier for smaller counties to get better players to commit which could make them a bit more competitive and actually raise the standard

imtommygunn

Agreed. Can't see it happening though but surely there has to come a point where it is just unsustainable.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: themac_23 on March 17, 2022, 09:03:28 AM
I actually think by reducing the training to 2 collective trainings a week it would close some of the gaps appearing.

Exactly.

The question is, as TommyGunn correctly pointed out - how?

The dogs in the street will know X, Y and Z are training 4 nights a week, but how do you prove it?

[IMO, the only useful sanction that would deter would be instant dismissal from that year's championship - and/or the next year*]

*otherwise you'll get smart cnts waging they'd never chuck you out if you were in the AI final and trained 5 nights the week before it.
i usse an speelchekor

Truth hurts

Joe Brollys column into Gaelic life is excellent abot the gpa

seafoid

Quote from: imtommygunn on March 16, 2022, 08:57:07 PM
Problem now is the standard of the game.  If you look at now vs 80s or 90s the standards have improved so much and that is due to the preparation and tactics etc. Reduce the training and you reduce the standard. Reduce the standard and you probably reduce the money coming in too.

It has created a massive divide between the better and lesser counties because lesser counties have no chance of winning so then large numbers don't commit. How many threads do you read on this board with players quitting teams? Even Dublin and Tyrone have it.

Too much preparation as people say but how does it get reined in. I doubt it does.  Even lockdown it was clear as day teams were breaching the rules left, right and centre. How could they police sessions in a week.
Is quality more important than competition ?  Quality costs  money which is not distributed equally.

Baile Brigín 2

The GPA have instructed their members to do no tv interviews or promotion of the championship for the foreseeable. This is explicitly to target GAA sponsors who will get less tv exposure. Cost Croker money to force them to spend money they don't have to semi professionalise the games. Magic.

Parkinson also wants dropped players to get expenses and no upper limit to how many players on a panel. He does have a point that the expenses only apply within your county. The trip from Dublin to the county border isn't part of the scheme.

This is a perfectly good opportunity for the GAA to pull all expenses and grants. It's an amateur game, if the players want paying they can move to Australia. Spend the money on facilities.

tyrone08

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 26, 2022, 03:32:47 PM
The GPA have instructed their members to do no tv interviews or promotion of the championship for the foreseeable. This is explicitly to target GAA sponsors who will get less tv exposure. Cost Croker money to force them to spend money they don't have to semi professionalise the games. Magic.

Parkinson also wants dropped players to get expenses and no upper limit to how many players on a panel. He does have a point that the expenses only apply within your county. The trip from Dublin to the county border isn't part of the scheme.

This is a perfectly good opportunity for the GAA to pull all expenses and grants. It's an amateur game, if the players want paying they can move to Australia. Spend the money on facilities.

There it is.... The dumbest idea I have heard this year.

Wildweasel74

There's no need for any player to be training more than 4 times a week,

tyrone08

Quote from: Wildweasel74 on March 26, 2022, 06:09:37 PM
There's no need for any player to be training more than 4 times a week,

Agreed. The simple solution is for the gaa to enforce a maximum number of training sessions per week. Say 3 and if anyone is in breach of it fine them. It won't stop the County boards organising "personal" sessions for each player but it is a start.

Wildweasel74

I used to go 6 times a week to the gym, I found performance and time spend dropped after session 3, so I dropped to 5 then 4.basically 2 then gap day, 2 then gap day, and I actually improved on lifting and power, and extra time spend, I was burning myself out and not giving time to recover.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: tyrone08 on March 26, 2022, 06:07:54 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on March 26, 2022, 03:32:47 PM

There it is.... The dumbest idea I have heard this year.

Which one? That every player called up for any training sessions gets the full whack or an unlimited number of players getting paid?