Started by Jinxy, October 26, 2014, 07:30:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoG2

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 03, 2014, 03:41:37 PM
Quote from: screenexile on November 03, 2014, 03:27:50 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 03, 2014, 03:22:37 PM
Quote from: mrdeeds on November 03, 2014, 03:19:41 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 03, 2014, 03:17:10 PM
While an interesting article I find it ironic that he has a go at the GPA for commercial opportunities, how much has the same Joe Brolly made from his association with the GAA?

Nothing. Gives his RTE and other media fees to charity.

Does he really? That would be impressive!

Yeah he doesn't take fees for any Club appearances or anything like that.

In fairness he's a barrister so the fee he gets from RTE is probably not a huge deal to him.

Whatever about his comments on TV I think he is a genuinely decent altruistic person who's just a bit of a cocky b**tard.

So he does make money from RTE, his public personae certainly doesn't detract from his law business either I would imagine.

Yes his altruism is to be admired but it always seems to be about him. If I wasn't already a registered organ donor and a current platelet donor he would actually put me off registering. Any donation to me is a very personal choice and should be motivated intrinsically.

which you know now goes to charity. mon now Dinny, Im not Joe's biggest fan, but you were trying to get a good aul dig in there which backfired. Take it on the chin ;-)

lynchbhoy

While an interesting article I find it ironic that he has a go at the GPA for commercial opportunities, how much has the same Joe Brolly made from his association with the GAA?

In fairness he's a barrister so the fee he gets from RTE is probably not a huge deal to him.

Whatever about his comments on TV I think he is a genuinely decent altruistic person who's just a bit of a cocky b**tard.

So he does make money from RTE, his public personae certainly doesn't detract from his law business either I would imagine.

Yes his altruism is to be admired but it always seems to be about him. If I wasn't already a registered organ donor and a current platelet donor he would actually put me off registering. Any donation to me is a very personal choice and should be motivated intrinsically.
I think a lot of the law fraternity look down on such dirty common things such as tv punditry!

from recollection Joe clocked up approx. £350,000 in fees about two years ago.
he isn't short of a few bob and he does a heck of a lot for charade

would love to see the gpa taking him on. it would be funny!

slick Joe Brolly up against the bully boy mentality of the gpa (gpa hierarchy sending him hate mail with some of it in joindy up writing!!)
:)

JoG2

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 03, 2014, 04:06:14 PM

I think a lot of the law fraternity look down on such dirty common things such as tv punditry!

slick Joe Brolly up against the bully boy mentality of the gpa (gpa hierarchy sending him hate mail with some of it in joindy up writing!!)

what salary are we currently paying CEO Dessie would anyone know?

johnneycool

Quote from: JoG2 on November 03, 2014, 04:08:58 PM

Ah here now, you can't be going and asking that, its market sensitive information.

muppet

Quote from: lynchbhoy on November 03, 2014, 04:06:14 PM

Predictive text can be a bitch!
MWWSI 2017

twohands!!!

Quote from: johnneycool on November 03, 2014, 04:13:58 PM
Quote from: JoG2 on November 03, 2014, 04:08:58 PM

Ah here now, you can't be going and asking that, its market sensitive information.

How exactly is it market sensitive information? What would be the negative consequences for the GPA and the GAA if everyone knew how much Dessie was carrying home? The only one it has potential to have negative consequences for is Dessie.

Overall I call big hairy bollox on the notion of it being commercially sensitive marker information - that's the standard line when someone is getting paid way over the odds for a handy number and claiming stupid loadsamoney expenses - basically it's a case of Dessie not wanting everyone to know just how much he is coining in in terms of his wage packet, alongside the junkets and the expenses.

Feck it I'm almost tempted to set up a Gaelic Club Players Association, shout and moan about Croke Park for a bit about them being useless,so I can get bought off to go inside the tent and end up with my own little GAA kingdom and a tasty salary - of course I'll have some of the ordinary decent lads do a bit of charity work (that they would probably be doing anyway) so that I can use that as an excuse if anyone complains about me.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: JoG2 on November 03, 2014, 04:04:22 PM

which you know now goes to charity. mon now Dinny, Im not Joe's biggest fan, but you were trying to get a good aul dig in there which backfired. Take it on the chin ;-)

We don't know that though do we, conjecture is all we have. It's not a dig it's just keeping things in perspective, lots of people earn money through the GAA including probably 50% of club managers. The GPA is an easy target, why doesn't Joe come off his moral high horse and take on the the issue of payments to managers and material benefits to club players particularly those in the Dublin club scene?
#newbridgeornowhere

Hardy

Maybe he will. Maybe he has. "Whatabout" isn't much of a rebuttal of the multitude of points well made by Brolly. And suggesting he's lying about giving he fee to charity is a bit ... well uncharitable, unless you have evidence for the suggestion.

five points

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 03, 2014, 04:29:58 PM
The GPA is an easy target, why doesn't Joe come off his moral high horse and take on the the issue of payments to managers and material benefits to club players particularly those in the Dublin club scene?

He has done so repeatedly, including a brilliant piece not too long ago, on the shambolic carry-on in Dublin club Parnells.

Jinxy

You do know your organs more than likely wouldn't be going to Joe.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

yellowcard

In fairness to Brolly he does give up a lot of his free time and never seeks payments for functions attended etc. I've never heard that he donates his RTE fees to charity though. Whether you like him or not he is a particularly brilliant writer.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Hardy on November 03, 2014, 04:40:24 PM
Maybe he will. Maybe he has. "Whatabout" isn't much of a rebuttal of the multitude of points well made by Brolly. And suggesting he's lying about giving he fee to charity is a bit ... well uncharitable, unless you have evidence for the suggestion.

I'm not here to rebuttal his well made points.

Can you show me the evidence he gives his RTE fee to charity other than some anecdotal evidence from a poster?
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Jinxy on November 03, 2014, 04:44:49 PM

You do know your organs more than likely wouldn't be going to Joe.

Or any Meath person, my first of Kin is aware of this wish.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Quote from: five points on November 03, 2014, 04:42:17 PM
The GPA is an easy target, why doesn't Joe come off his moral high horse and take on the the issue of payments to managers and material benefits to club players particularly those in the Dublin club scene?

He has done so repeatedly, including a brilliant piece not too long ago, on the shambolic carry-on in Dublin club Parnells.

Good, let him continue that line and hopefully paid GAA managers as well.
#newbridgeornowhere

twohands!!!

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 03, 2014, 04:56:30 PM
Quote from: five points on November 03, 2014, 04:42:17 PM

Good, let him continue that line and hopefully paid GAA managers as well.

Brolly's problem is that when he acts the eedjit on TV coming out with guff it makes it a lot harder to take him seriously when he does want to speak more responsibly about GAA matters.