Gaelic Life

Started by Out in Front, December 30, 2006, 10:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Out in Front

Just a note to let you know that the first edition of Gaelic Life will hit the shelves this coming Friday, January 5.

Gaelic Life will cater for GAA followers right across Ulster and will provide a mix of features, previews, profiles and opinions as well as all the latest GAA news.

If you have any news, views or you want to make a comment on GAA matters, have you say in FANZONE via our website at www.gaeliclife.com. We'll be publishing a selection of comments each week.

PW  :)

youbetterbelieveit

or the Highball magazine?

ziggysego

I can't see this one lasting the distance either, though I'd like to be proven wrong.
Testing Accessibility

tayto

Surely if the hogan stand can keep going there is a market out there for a good GAA mag. Is it going to be Ulster only? because yer losing a lot of interest already if thats the case. best of luck with it, at least it looks like you've hired a designer to do some of the work unlike most of the dodgey GAA mags.

The Bottom Brick

I bought a copy of HighBall yesterday, it comes out twice a year now, at All Ireland final time and at Christamas with an annual review as far as I know.

Lots of good articles, no advertorials like Hogan Stand.
33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

Pangurban

More good money thrown after bad, ill give it six months at most. Crap journalists produce crap newspapers and magazines

Gaoth Dobhair Abu

Jesus lads, give it a chance!!!  >:(
Tbc....

tayto

I see they're charging a grand for a full page ad! Seems a lot for a magazine with no current readership! You'd probably get a decent size ad in the indo or IT for that!

The Bottom Brick

QuoteYou'd probably get a decent size ad in the indo or IT for that!

What planet do you live on?

33, 35, 47, 48, 52, 07!

AlongTheLine

Lads it's time to give this thing a chance. Why is it that all GAA-folks are such pessimists when it comes to something new? Jesus the publication isnt even on the shelves yet and already you're writing it off!
Lets look at the facts.....
The publishers of this new publication already have five newspapers on the go, with over a hundred years of experience. Their readership across these is around 60,000 per week. Does this sound like a company which doesn't know what they're doing?
It's clear that they really mean business with this thing. Look at the amount of advertising, including TV, and the McKenna Cup sponsorship. That's big bucks!
It's also worth pointing out that this is a NEWSPAPER, not a magazine as has been reported in some quarters. 40 pages a week of Gaelic Games, in a lifestyle approach, as OutInFront says. How can that be a bad thing?
Finally, and maybe most importantly, people may be wrongly associating this with other failed projects to come out of Tyrone. This is different, very different, and has no associations with the others.
Personally, I'm looking forward to Friday to see what GaelicLife has to offer. Not only that, but I'm looking forward to the summer months of championship football where I'm sure GL is going to become a regular Friday morning pick-up for GAA supporters, of all codes, across Ulster.
I'm willing to give it a chance, maybe others should approach it with a positive attitude... or at least an open mind.
Bring it on I say and good luck to all involved!

tayto

Quote from: The Bottom Brick on January 01, 2007, 03:45:41 PM
QuoteYou'd probably get a decent size ad in the indo or IT for that!

What planet do you live on?

obviously one that's totally ignorant of the price of advertising ...

excuse my ignorance i had no idea an ad could cost this much ...

http://www.ireland.com/mediakit/p_rates.htm

Cloc Mor

First posts from 'Along the line' and 'Out in Front' on the board- you trying to drum up some interest for your new publication.  Hope it goes well for you and I look forward to reading it but don't make it so obvious the next time.  Thers is a market for this type of magazine but it may end up like the others.

Uladh

Know nothing about this newspaper so can someone who does explain to me the difference from "the game"?

never kickt a ball

Quote from: Cloc Mor on January 01, 2007, 05:23:43 PM
First posts from 'Along the line' and 'Out in Front' on the board- you trying to drum up some interest for your new publication.  Hope it goes well for you and I look forward to reading it but don't make it so obvious the next time.  Thers is a market for this type of magazine but it may end up like the others.

Here Here Cloc. My thoughts exactly.

ONeill

Good luck with the Newspaper and i hope it lasts. I worked for a while on Gael Sports Ulster and for all its limitations, it's still churning out monthly after 5 and a half years. Good to see you've borrowed their format - it has worked for them. Competing against the Irish News may be a problem - what can you provide that they dont?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.