Mayo 3-11 Sligo 0-7 Champions Dethroned

Started by Barney, May 22, 2008, 08:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OirthearMhaigheo

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 22, 2008, 11:46:49 AM
Jees too early for this thread, i mean we are not over london yet. Patience obviously is lacking on this board.

Yee may aswell start a connaght final thread now while yere at it mayo and galway ::).

No doubt we are a poor league team but we are far better championship team, unlike galway and mayo where ye seem to go backwards. For counties that have alot of success yee seem to put way too much emphasis and importance on the league. Its good for us though that atitude. I dont think the penny will ever drop with yee. We were shite in last yrs league and look what happened :o. How many more examples do yee want? Look at wicklow............

hahaha, your 3 Connachts are proof of that alright!! Bloody hell, I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt Sligonian but with comments like that it's tough!
Anyway, back to the present as you say, I think it will be a tough challenge for us and I'd say Sligo are a good deal better than they looked in the league so it won't be a walkover by any means. I do think we shoud be 4/5 points to the good at the end though.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: OirthearMhaigheo on May 22, 2008, 12:31:13 PM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 22, 2008, 11:46:49 AM
Jees too early for this thread, i mean we are not over london yet. Patience obviously is lacking on this board.

Yee may aswell start a connaght final thread now while yere at it mayo and galway ::).

No doubt we are a poor league team but we are far better championship team, unlike galway and mayo where ye seem to go backwards. For counties that have alot of success yee seem to put way too much emphasis and importance on the league. Its good for us though that atitude. I dont think the penny will ever drop with yee. We were shite in last yrs league and look what happened :o. How many more examples do yee want? Look at wicklow............

hahaha, your 3 Connachts are proof of that alright!! Bloody hell, I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt Sligonian but with comments like that it's tough!
Anyway, back to the present as you say, I think it will be a tough challenge for us and I'd say Sligo are a good deal better than they looked in the league so it won't be a walkover by any means. I do think we shoud be 4/5 points to the good at the end though.

What can I say but say it again.... is it tough to understand that Im on about this current squad of sligo players. Not the 1928 or 1975 team. This current squad just perform better in championship than league and have done so for the last 2 to 3 yrs.

The 02 team were probably better league team as we were alot stronger and more phyiscal. So again we CURRENTLY are alot better in championship than league.

The league doesnt reflect the true quality of this Sligo squad. Go on Oirthear Mhaigheo please give me the benefit of the doubt. ;).
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

rosnarun

to be fair to sligo they do have the bragging right at the moment being connaught(render unto ceaser) champions. we all know ythats not going to last for long so give them their 15 minutes and hopefully they wont keep banging on about it like they have done since 1975
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

ludermor

Fair play Sligonian
i never seen a man ride into so many battles with absolutely no one to back him up. You remind of the lads who used carry the flag in medieval battles with the rest of the army side by side waiting for the real battle sayin to themselves look at that eejit gone off by himself again

mannix

Cannot believe that people here expect sligo to be close, do you not watch the league?
Relegated, to division of hurling counties.
Mayo are no great shakes but if sligo are within 8 points I will eat my hat.

Farrandeelin

Quote from: ludermor on May 22, 2008, 02:26:27 PM
Fair play Sligonian
i never seen a man ride into so many battles with absolutely no one to back him up. You remind of the lads who used carry the flag in medieval battles with the rest of the army side by side waiting for the real battle sayin to themselves look at that eejit gone off by himself again

:D

I was delighted that Sligo won it last year, but Sligonian is beginning to annoy me and make me want Sligo to have a rotten summer! Sligo will cause Mayo problems alright and there is nobody too confident of Mayo winning the game. (mannix apart)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

QuoteFair play Sligonian

Post of the month award!!!!  :D :D
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: ludermor on May 22, 2008, 02:26:27 PM
Fair play Sligonian

Last time I checked matches arent won online ::).

Secondly I speak for myself like everyone else does, does that make my opinion any different? If its right its right. Dont need any back up.

Thirdly so many battles :o, what battles? Do you call this a battle? Im only pointing out the FACT that league and championship are miles apart. Am I the one who looks stupid with a statement like that? Look at mannixs post if want an example of one that looks stupid. ;).

The only reason I ANNOY yee is because yere scared I might be telling the TRUTH. That Sligo are going to be a way better in Castlebar than theyve shown all year in the league and also that Mayo might not beat us. Weve never got respect of yee even since we won it last yr and personnally I dont need it.

PS. Sorry AZ for the caps but these lads just dont seem to get plain english.

sligeach

Right lads. Just going to add my piece.

3 Connacht Finals in 100 years is bad alright, then again I wasn't aware that history was a defining factor on a teams performance.

I've heard the same bs applied to many different things and the one constant is the ignorance of the people stating it.

This is the same crap that Munster people were saying about Clare after their first breakthrough in the 90's. Oh everyone was happy enough that they won, the problem was that Clare wouldn't just f**k off back to obscurity afterward's and that did annoy traditional hurling folk.

History means f-all.

On the league vs Championship point, honestly. You really believe that the league is what you should be basing your predictions on ? Funny enough I remember Donegal were supposed to be real All-Ireland contenders last year after their league and basing it on this years shouldn't we be looking forward to seeing Derry in the final ?

I don't think Sligo are as bad as the league has made us out to be but I actually do believe that Mayo should beat us, with my head anyways. The heart as always says Sligo.

I'll say this though. Sligos strength is our fight, we don't have the quality but we have heart and commitment and thats not something which the league will generally inspire in a team.

We won a Connacht last year because of sheer determination to do so. Galway are and were a superior team in terms of quality. But we wanted it more last year and whose to say we won't want it more then Mayo or Galway this year.

So all I'm saying is that like Clare and Wexford and Offaly in the hurling, this Sligo team may not just f off back into obscurity like you want them to.

Lar Naparka

AZ, how have you made it to here?
I thought you were too busy lashing poor oul’ Micko out of it over on The Diva thread to bother about a few Mayo lads having a bit of fun. Tormenting honest Sligo souls was always a favourite pastime down our way. I just hope we can continue to do the same after the Castlebar game.  (Maybe London will put them out of their misery first.) :D
We mightn’t be the finished article ourselves either; just as well that it’s probably only Sligo we’ll be facing first time out.
I think our fella is getting a good squad of players together with the older lads looking fresh and fit and a lot of promising good youngsters coming through but that doesn’t automatically mean we will have a good team for the championships.
We can all probably name 10 to 12 definite championship starters but who would bet on where the majority of them will play? Maybe the FF line picks it self, as does the midfield pairing and the goalie will be Clarke. Apart from that, who would bet serious money on the rest of the line-up?
You can bank on the likes of Keith Higgins and Trevor Mortimer being selected alright but would anyone bet on what positions they will fill?
The same can be said for 3 or 4 others but as far as I can see, Johnno is no nearer to selecting a settled team that he was when we faced Galway last year in Salthill. Man for man, this side has sharper and more focussed individuals than we had last year but the same problem positions remain unfilled.
Aren’t we glad it’s only Sligo and not a real team we are going to met. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

ludermor

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 22, 2008, 06:11:45 PM

Last time I checked matches aren't won online ::).

Secondly I speak for myself like everyone else does, does that make my opinion any different? If its right its right. Dont need any back up.

Thirdly so many battles :o, what battles? Do you call this a battle? Im only pointing out the FACT that league and championship are miles apart. Am I the one who looks stupid with a statement like that? Look at mannixs post if want an example of one that looks stupid. ;).

The only reason I ANNOY yee is because yere scared I might be telling the TRUTH. That Sligo are going to be a way better in Castlebar than theyve shown all year in the league and also that Mayo might not beat us. Weve never got respect of yee even since we won it last yr and personnally I dont need it.

PS. Sorry AZ for the caps but these lads just dont seem to get plain english.

Annoy LOL
Like a bumble bee flying behind the curtain maybe.
You need to lighten up man, feck all of the mayo crowd begrudged yer win last year ( were you even around then??) and there is generally very good banter (and respect) between the sligo and mayo lads here. If you cant see that it show an inferiority complex IMO.
You are of course entitled to your opinion but so is everyone else and for you to think that everyone else is wrong is hilarious ( to date you have fell out with the mayo lads, the galway lads, the sligo lads) .I have to say i havent a clue what you mean if your opinion is right, its your opinion but thats all it is. Take the chip of your shoulder and be a bit more gracious when you win.

SLIGONIAN

ANNOY LOL look at farandeelins post. Maybe you need a translator Ludermor ;). He clearly state im annoying him. Expect alot more annoyance on the field june 22nd.

As SLIGEACH said we all know yee want us to fu*k off tamely and hand yee back nestor but are scared shitless that we wont.

That takes the biscuit a Mayoman lecturing me on being gracious winner LOL....I know I am gracious as yer ever be. Youd like to think I have inferiority complex, its hard to find a reply to that its so funny. :D.

Anyway enough fun for today but thanks to all the WUMs.

Sligeach abu.

Farrandeelin

Sure the only reason why ye won Connacht last year was because ye didn't have to play us.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

magpie seanie

Hahahaha!

Classic Farrandeelin! Whatever about us ye were some shambles last year. No doubt ye have a bigger player base and are capable of big improvement in a short space of time though.

Look lads, Sligonian is right to point out that league form is no guide to how a team will perform in the championship. He's also right to talk us up as we did the business last year after a poor league campaign and have mostly the same players available. We know we will have a really tough job to beat Mayo in Castlebar assuming there's no disaster this weekend. Ye will have to be pretty good to beat us though.

ludermor

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 22, 2008, 11:56:11 PM
ANNOY LOL look at farandeelins post. Maybe you need a translator Ludermor ;). He clearly state im annoying him. Expect alot more annoyance on the field june 22nd.
Anyway enough fun for today but thanks to all the WUMs.

So because Farandeelin is annoyed the whole county is annoyed!!
I dont know why you would be so proud of being annoying though, most people wouldnt think of it as a good character trait , in my opinion ;)
And is everyone who disagrees with you a WUM? As for being gracious i can safely say i have never heard a mayoman act you you to a sligo man ( to a rossie maybe but never to a sligo man)
And your right enough fun for today and enjoy the match on sunday.