Mayo 3-11 Sligo 0-7 Champions Dethroned

Started by Barney, May 22, 2008, 08:09:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barney

We might as well set up somewhere to park ourselves for the next few weeks.

Make no mistake this is not the formality that many are suggesting. Mayo have struggled in the latter part of the league, and challenges do not appear to be going well. If the game was in Sligo I'd be seriously worried, but at this stage JOM cannot contemplate a home defeat against Sligo if his project is to continue.

The big thing for Mayo supporters in this years championship will be to see obvious improvements on the problems of the last few years, but particularly a step towards resolving the inadequacies of last year. A Connacht title is not unrealistic especially with the potential of two home games. The worrying thing is that to date we have seen no improvement just potential from young fellas but its not time to set a marker.

You would have to worry though about us if we make it as far as Croke Park against one of the big guns.

mannix

If Mayo do not beat sligo FAIRLY HANDILY  then maybe its time to start having a look at whats going on with the team and tactics, Sligo are a poor side, relegated from a poor division to an even poorer division.

Mano

You could have waited another 3 days before starting this thread

Quote from: Barney on May 22, 2008, 08:09:46 AM
Make no mistake this is not the formality that many are suggesting. Mayo have struggled in the latter part of the league, and challenges do not appear to be going well.

Wouldn't worry too much about challlenge games. Mayo have another month to wait before the start of their championship wheras teams they have played (Meath, Offaly) are involved much earlier and are much sharper.

Mano

Quote from: mannix on May 22, 2008, 09:48:11 AM
If Mayo do not beat sligo FAIRLY HANDILY  then maybe its time to start having a look at whats going on with the team and tactics, Sligo are a poor side, relegated from a poor division to an even poorer division.

League and championship are 2 different competitions - a division 4 team have already beaten a Division 1 team in the championship Mannix. The same poor team who won the Connaught championship last year ;D

AZOffaly

Connaught??? Is that not BBC spelling? I always spell it Connacht.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: AZOffaly on May 22, 2008, 11:32:44 AM
Connaught??? Is that not BBC spelling? I always spell it Connacht.

Connaught is the anglicized spelling of Connacht. You are correct AZ.

AZOffaly

Nice to be right sometimes :D Anyway, sorry for a pedantic hijacking of the thread.

Tubberman

QuoteNice to be right sometimes  Anyway, sorry for a pedantic hijacking of the thread.

It's a fair point though. It's one of my pet peeves. I've been very tempted to correct people on several occasions  :D
I always spell it Connacht as well. Then you have the likes of Sligonian who can't decide whether he likes Connacht or Connaught so settles on Connaght  ;)

Anyway, back to the football. I'd expect Mayo to win this by about 4-5 points, especially since it's in McHale park. There is still a major worry over our defence though, so hopefully the week in Portugal can help management to finally settle on a preferred full back line and get some understanding and familiarity going between them.
I'm not looking beyone the Sligo game anyway, we're far from settled or convincing of late.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

SLIGONIAN

Jees too early for this thread, i mean we are not over london yet. Patience obviously is lacking on this board.

Yee may aswell start a connaght final thread now while yere at it mayo and galway ::).

No doubt we are a poor league team but we are far better championship team, unlike galway and mayo where ye seem to go backwards. For counties that have alot of success yee seem to put way too much emphasis and importance on the league. Its good for us though that atitude. I dont think the penny will ever drop with yee. We were shite in last yrs league and look what happened :o. How many more examples do yee want? Look at wicklow............
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Tubberman on May 22, 2008, 11:45:54 AM
QuoteNice to be right sometimes  Anyway, sorry for a pedantic hijacking of the thread.

It's a fair point though. It's one of my pet peeves. I've been very tempted to correct people on several occasions  :D
I always spell it Connacht as well. Then you have the likes of Sligonian who can't decide whether he likes Connacht or Connaught so settles on Connaght  ;)

Dont really get that to be honest, im not greatest spellar in the world though. Can I get some grinds off you tubberman? ;)

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 22, 2008, 11:46:49 AM
Jees too early for this thread, i mean we are not over london yet. Patience obviously is lacking on this board.

Yee may aswell start a connaght final thread now while yere at it mayo and galway ::).

No doubt we are a poor league team but we are far better championship team, unlike galway and mayo where ye seem to go backwards. For counties that have alot of success yee seem to put way too much emphasis and importance on the league. Its good for us though that atitude. I dont think the penny will ever drop with yee. We were shite in last yrs league and look what happened :o. How many more examples do yee want? Look at wicklow............

Christ man what have ye? Three Connacht titles in over a hundred years and you're talking like ye wrote the shagging book on winning All-Ireland's. Give me a break. ::)

Tubberman

QuoteNo doubt we are a poor league team but we are far better championship team, unlike galway and mayo where ye seem to go backwards.

Yeah, Sligo's championship record over the past 20 years is outstanding compared to that of Galway or Mayo    ::)

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 22, 2008, 11:54:19 AM
Quote from: SLIGONIAN on May 22, 2008, 11:46:49 AM

Christ man what have ye? Three Connacht titles in over a hundred years and you're talking like ye wrote the shagging book on winning All-Ireland's. Give me a break. ::)

Dont start getting overly sensitive, reading into things too much. I am giving a simple message which alot of ye dont seem to get. League and championship are a million miles different. No mention of all irelands GBB.

Look dont write us off based on the league. If yee continue to do that I will continue to say what Im saying.

Tubberman try to stay with the present. My memory blanks out when I try to look past july 07 ;D.

Tubberman

QuoteLook dont write us off based on the league. If yee continue to do that I will continue to say what Im saying.

Tubberman try to stay with the present. My memory blanks out when I try to look past july 07

Not writing ye off at all - sure we can't ignore ye when you're around  ;D :D
Ye have a decent chance of getting a draw or maybe a win, I'd say the winning/losing of this game will primarily come down to the Mayo defensive display.

Farrandeelin

QuoteJees too early for this thread, i mean we are not over london yet

Well the title of the thread is Mayo v Sligo/London Sligonian! ;)
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.