D'umpires - what is to be done?

Started by muppet, July 30, 2011, 09:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stevie g 8

The umpires seemed to give the goal until the ref came in.why did the ref have to get involved and just let the goal stand

andoireabu

Quote from: ck on July 31, 2011, 12:49:36 AM
The title of this thread would suggest that the umpires did something wrong. They got it absolutely right today. Straight up with the green flag until the referee trotted in and overruled it. God only knows why!
Donegal get yet another rub of the green from a referee. It would fit referees better to crack down on Donegals cynical fouling and running across the paths of attacking link men.

Is that a foul though?  Surely you can run on whatever part of the field you need to.  Checking your run to block a man is a foul but you occupying a space that causes the attacker to change his speed or direction can't be a foul.  If it was there would be no point defending at all.
Private Cowboy: Don't shit me, man!
Private Joker: I wouldn't shit you. You're my favorite turd!

ck

Quote from: andoireabu on July 31, 2011, 01:14:16 AM
The title of this thread would suggest that the umpires did something wrong. They got it absolutely right today. Straight up with the green flag until the referee trotted in and overruled it. God only knows why!
Donegal get yet another rub of the green from a referee. It would fit referees better to crack down on Donegals cynical fouling and running across the paths of attacking link men.

Is that a foul though?  Surely you can run on whatever part of the field you need to.  Checking your run to block a man is a foul but you occupying a space that causes the attacker to change his speed or direction can't be a foul.  If it was there would be no point defending at all.

Checking men is what I meant, particularly as link men try to link with forwards who been turned back, all you see is Donegal men checking midfielders and defenders. As long as they get away with it they will be hard to stop.

J70

Quote from: ck on July 31, 2011, 02:16:39 AM
Quote from: andoireabu on July 31, 2011, 01:14:16 AM

Checking men is what I meant, particularly as link men try to link with forwards who been turned back, all you see is Donegal men checking midfielders and defenders. As long as they get away with it they will be hard to stop.

I only saw the tv coverage, but there looked to be plenty of Kildare men at it too.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 31, 2011, 08:38:35 AM

+1

The goal was just salt in the wound for Kildare.  Throughout the game, Coldrick and his linesmen ignored all  the off the ball fouls by Donegal.  Unfortunately, the end of the game will be remembered for the cynical fouling by Kildare to slow down the game although but the amount of blocking and hitting off the ball by Donegal to prevent the man running on to receive the ball was ridiculous.  The determined targeting of Johnny Doyle from the throw was never punished.

Yet Coldrick is receiving all the plaudits for his handling of the game!

It was the same against derry in the ulster final. Persistent fouling around the middle by donegal to slow tge game so they could get 13 men behind the ball. Deegan should have been ticking lads and giving cards but he just let then away with it. The minor match before the ref was giving yellow cards for every foul. You would think they were refing two different sports.

J70

Quote from: Take Your Points on July 31, 2011, 08:38:35 AM

+1

The goal was just salt in the wound for Kildare.  Throughout the game, Coldrick and his linesmen ignored all  the off the ball fouls by Donegal.  Unfortunately, the end of the game will be remembered for the cynical fouling by Kildare to slow down the game although but the amount of blocking and hitting off the ball by Donegal to prevent the man running on to receive the ball was ridiculous.  The determined targeting of Johnny Doyle from the throw was never punished.

Yet Coldrick is receiving all the plaudits for his handling of the game!

What evidence do you have for "the determined targeting of Johnny Doyle from the throw "?

Kildare were doing plenty of off-the-ball fouling too, at least in what was visible from the television coverage.

Regardless, I hope you just as outraged when your own county perfected the art of the third man tackle and run blocking a decade ago.

Hardy

I really hate this nitpicking shite.