Mark Sidebottom

Started by thewobbler, May 28, 2011, 10:25:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leo

Quote from: RandyDupree on May 29, 2011, 02:08:34 AM
Leave him alone, I love it. If you dont like then dont watch! Hes passionate and loves the sport and is actually quite knowledgable. Yes his quotes can be cringey, but if you look at the bright side of it, he can be a good laugh.

Don't know about you but it is the f*igging match I want to watch. My issue is with the woeful standard of GAA commentators to the extent that, yes, I do eventually turn of the sound.
Fierce tame altogether

rrhf

Bundle o' bitchin weemen

ck

Quote from: RandyDupree on May 29, 2011, 02:08:34 AM
Leave him alone, I love it. If you dont like then dont watch! Hes passionate and loves the sport and is actually quite knowledgable. Yes his quotes can be cringey, but if you look at the bright side of it, he can be a good laugh.

I've never laughed at any of his silly lines. Find myself tutting and shaking my head and wanting to turn over. He tries too hard to be funny. Just keep up with the play ya dick!

rrhf

You would wonder why amyone who raises their head up above for the gaa in the north bothers.  Jealousy and pettiness amongst our own

Hardy

Quote from: Tony Baloney on May 28, 2011, 11:34:31 PM
He had a tough start in the commentsry box as plenty of people, including people here, assumed he was a prod.

wtf?

Canavan was top class in the commentary box last night. Sidebottom is annoying, but I forgive him a lot for his obvious passion and love of the thing. The cringes he induces are somehow less twee than Brian Carthy, less eye-goggling "did he really say that?" than Morrissey and less infuriatingly "this bastard gets paid for knowing nothing and being wrong all the time" than Carney.

The Worker

Sidebottom should be replaced by Jerome quinn!

bridgegael

some people are getting carried away here.  he isnt that bad,  certainly not as bad as some are suggeating. some people go out of their way to get annoyed!
"2009 Gaaboard Cheltenham fantasy league winner"

Maguire01

I don't mind him at all. Some of the things he comes out with are so ridiculous, they're entertaining at this stage.

Jinxy

Listen to Newstalks coverage of the hurling today.
Commentators that don't act like rubes and analysts that actually analyse the game.
It is possible you know.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Gold

He obviously reads this and knows what people think of him but persists with his 'jokes' nonetheless. He seems to enjoy it "i christened him the big easy a number of years ago"

He's not the best but he does his best --Canavan doesnt engage with him at all i'd say the relationship couldnt be good off camera a a result!

He's a melter but can he's so ridiculous he's funny

Compared to RTE now though its ridiciculous when you think about it
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Jinxy

Watching the hurling with the sound off and Newstalk on in the background.
Very enjoyable.
Murph is loving the sideline reporter job!
Especially when there's a big mill-up in front of him.  :D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

screenexile

I know the lad tries and he does have enthusiasm for the game there's no doubting that but he is not cut out for it simple as. He actually started seriously talking about the game going to Extra Time when there were 20 mins left!!

As he did not grow up around the GAA scene his knowledge of players and their backgrounds is extremely poor. I would guarantee that he knows nothing of Club Football or Sigerson football. Unfortunately he just does not have it and the BBC should do a serious trawl for someone who can commentate on a game... what harm could it do??

I reckon Sidebottom could do a bit on match build ups and pitchside reporting but he should not have the mic in front of him for 70 minutes at a time!!

maggie

I enjoy his wee yarns, esp the one about sitting beside Aaron Kernan at a do and him refusing to eat the potatoes and trimming the fat off the meat in the dinner so MS knew Armagh were serious this year.

ck

Quote from: screenexile on May 29, 2011, 06:56:16 PM
I know the lad tries and he does have enthusiasm for the game there's no doubting that but he is not cut out for it simple as. He actually started seriously talking about the game going to Extra Time when there were 20 mins left!!

As he did not grow up around the GAA scene his knowledge of players and their backgrounds is extremely poor. I would guarantee that he knows nothing of Club Football or Sigerson football. Unfortunately he just does not have it and the BBC should do a serious trawl for someone who can commentate on a game... what harm could it do??

I reckon Sidebottom could do a bit on match build ups and pitchside reporting but he should not have the mic in front of him for 70 minutes at a time!!

"As he did not grow up around the GAA scene his knowledge of players and their backgrounds is extremely poor. I would guarantee that he knows nothing of Club Football or Sigerson football."

How do you know this? He was a hurler from the glens so how is this not from GAA stock??
He knows plenty about players, Sigerson and club games. He's just a sh*te commentator.

Minder

Quote from: screenexile on May 29, 2011, 06:56:16 PM

What are you on about? He played for our club for years and was a good hurler,he also played Fitzgibbon for Queens. I guarantee you he has contributed more to his club, even after retiring, than a lot of fellas on here. You might not like his commentating but unlike someone like Ger Canning, he
is genuinely interested and has a passion for Gaa. He is as decent as you would meet.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"