Connacht SFC Q/Final London v Mayo 29.5.11 in Ruislip

Started by RedandGreenSniper, April 12, 2011, 01:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AbbeySider

So its probably common knowledge that there were some cuts since the weekend. Some fairly big names wont be involved in 2011. Very brave calls by the management.

Those I heard that got cut so far are:

Barry Moran, Aidan Kilcoyne, Mark Ronaldson, Brian Benson, Tom Parsons

I think that Kevin Dolan and Rochford and a couple more are being given a chance to prove themselves in the next few weeks which suggests there will be a final cut before Ruslip?

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: AbbeySider on April 13, 2011, 09:04:04 AM
So its probably common knowledge that there were some cuts since the weekend. Some fairly big names wont be involved in 2011. Very brave calls by the management.

I think that Kevin Dolan and Rochford and a couple more are being given a chance to prove themselves in the next few weeks which suggests there will be a final cut before Ruslip?

Heard those names myself. Brave calls is right but there's a justification for each of them too I guess. Each has a lot to offer but it is a sign of where we are at now that they are considered good enough. Of them, Barry Moran is probably the most unlucky in terms of not getting much game time but that's probably why he didn't make it - too injury prone.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

macdanger2

Why does the panel have to be trimmed to 30??

If some of these lads are flying in the club championship next July/August (and presuming Mayo still have an interest in the championship), is there room to bring some of these back into the panel??

Canalman

Without being Mayo specific I think all intercounty panels are now pretty much "openended". Personally think that 30 in a panel is about 5 players too many as there will be at least that amount just" making up the numbers "so as to be able to have 15 a side games at training.

rosnarun

Quote from: macdanger2 on April 13, 2011, 12:43:15 PM
Why does the panel have to be trimmed to 30??

If some of these lads are flying in the club championship next July/August (and presuming Mayo still have an interest in the championship), is there room to bring some of these back into the panel??
money - more player on the panel more ham sandwiches needed
JOM operated a closed panel more or less .  it give player a sign or commitment from the manager or comfort level depending on your point of view. but i think it does encourage development of player rather than just looking for a replacement any time some one has a bad game
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Tubberman

Very hard on those lads who have been dropped from the panel. They are fine footballers, wouldn't be surprised to see some of them back in the green and red at some stage in the future. It will be a tough few days for them though I'm sure.

Back to this London match - I've been looking up flights and they're still reasonable enough so I think I'll head over for the craic.
The only thing is, I haven't a clue of the geography of London! I know Ruislip is a nice bit out, but where would be a good area to stay for the weekend?
I'd imagine Ruislip would be fairly dead generally, is there an area that would be reasonably priced but handy enough to get to the lively spots and also get train out to Ruislip on Sunday morning!?
Anyone else booked a spot to stay yet?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Lads is it easy to get to Ruislip on the tube from say Liverpool Street Station and how long would it take. Would you be able to make it back after the match without resorting to taxis via the tupe pretty handy after the match?
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

Lar Naparka

Hard luck on all concerned.  My first reaction is one of sympathy for those being let go. I'd hate to be in James Horan's shoes right now as he has to take tough decisions at times and I guess this was one of them.
I'd feel that Aidan as well as Barry was hampered lately by injuries and this told against them. However, speculation about anyone is pointless as only the manager and his team know the full story. I think we have had players in other counties added to and dropped from championship panels as the season progressed so we may some or all of them in Horan's plans again.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Farrandeelin

Not overly surprised about Kilcoyne's omission from the panel. However, he will probably feel annoyed himself as when he gets a run in the green and red he is usually good enough and can hack it. Unfortunate injuries told against him. Hopefully he will be back at some stage though. Ditto Barry Moran, who always seems to be injured for some reason or another.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

ildanach

Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

ross4life

Quote from: AbbeySider on April 13, 2011, 09:04:04 AM

When ye beat us last Jan in the FBD (our only defeat in 2011 so far i might add) Benson & Ronaldson where the two main scorers.. just gives example of the shear strength in depth you guys have  :o

I really can't see past ye for connacht this summer.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

macdanger2

Quote from: ross4life on April 13, 2011, 10:06:55 PM
just gives example of the shear strength in depth you guys have  :o

You're right you know. Sure maybe we should just have a few round robin matches to see who comes second in Connacht this year??? ;)

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: Tubberman on April 13, 2011, 07:01:19 PM
Very hard on those lads who have been dropped from the panel. They are fine footballers, wouldn't be surprised to see some of them back in the green and red at some stage in the future. It will be a tough few days for them though I'm sure.

Back to this London match - I've been looking up flights and they're still reasonable enough so I think I'll head over for the craic.
The only thing is, I haven't a clue of the geography of London! I know Ruislip is a nice bit out, but where would be a good area to stay for the weekend?
I'd imagine Ruislip would be fairly dead generally, is there an area that would be reasonably priced but handy enough to get to the lively spots and also get train out to Ruislip on Sunday morning!?
Anyone else booked a spot to stay yet?

The Crown in Cricklewood is usually the Mayo base for the weekend Tubberman. We stayed there in 2006 and it was a great spot on the Friday and Saturday nights. I'll probably not be staying there this time around - it is quite expensive, but Cricklewood is a decent base. The city centre is A1 too, especially with a view to being in there to get a good spot on Saturday to watch the Heineken Cup final and the Champions League final. And Ruislip is accessible enough by Tube, just can't remember which one.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: ildanach on April 13, 2011, 08:42:25 PM
does anyone have the definative list ?

There isn't one yet because it isn't cut to thirty just yet. Some more lads are being given a chance to prove themselves because they haven't had much of that thus far - Kevin Dolan, Ronan Rochford etc - and others might not be safe yet, as they're returning from injury - S O'Shea, Vaughan and Howley.

I make the below list to be all that are currently in, which comes to 32 so two more to be culled. I haven't included Cathal Freeman who I think has been dropped some time back but I could not swear to that.

Robbie Hennelly, David Clarke
Alan Feeney, Keith Higgins, Richie Feeney, Ger Cafferkey, Cathal Hallinan, Tom Cunniffe, James Burke, Peadar Gardiner, Lee Keegan, Eoghan Reilly, Ronan Rochford, Kevin McLoughlin, Chris Barrett, Ruaidhri O'Connor, Trevor Howley, Donal Vaughan
Ronan McGarrity, Jason Gibbons, Aidan O'Shea, Seamie O'Shea, James Kilcullen
Alan Dillon, Andy Moran, Aidan Campbell, Alan Freeman, Jason Doherty, Enda Varley, Neil Douglas, Kevin Dolan, Cillian O'Connor.

I can't see us dropping a forward from that selection so it looks like two defenders to me to go. I would hope though that the panel is kept reasonably open ended - if someone's form completely disappears, he shouldn't be kept on and, by the same token, if someone is shooting the lights out, they'd be brought in.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: ross4life on April 13, 2011, 10:06:55 PM

When ye beat us last Jan in the FBD (our only defeat in 2011 so far i might add) Benson & Ronaldson where the two main scorers.. just gives example of the shear strength in depth you guys have  :o

Go on away out of that back to the New York thread you cute hoor. That was a very weak Roscommon team as I'm sure you'll agree. Actually, I think you did agree or am I mistaken?

Quote from: ross4life on January 23, 2011, 05:08:37 PM
How many of that Mayo team today would be first 15? for Roscommon about 5 i would say.

You need a bit of practice at playing the poor mouth ;D