Gaelic players announce media ban

Started by ziggysego, June 26, 2009, 09:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ziggysego

Gaelic footballers and hurlers have announced they will not do media interviews or promotional work ahead of two provincial finals.

The move is part of the Gaelic Players' Association's long-running dispute with the GAA over getting assistance in employment and health issues.

The union says its attempts to get a formal agreement have been ignored.

They said players would not do media interviews for the Leinster football final and the Munster hurling decider.

However, the GPA said they would not interfere with the actual staging of the two matches.

Gaelic football and hurling are amateur sports and a new grants scheme for provincial players could be scrapped because of government spending cuts.

A GPA is angry that many of its members are struggling to get or keep jobs, while helping make huge profits for the GAA by playing in high-profile Championship fixtures.

A statement from the union said: "We have asked the GAA to fund a series of enhanced player welfare programmes in the critical areas of employment, career development and health and well-being services.

"As players have chosen the GPA to represent their interests, it is only through a meaningful official relationship, with the attendant financial commitment, that the GAA can meet its obligations to the inter-county players who do more than anybody to fuel its financial engine.

"The players' association is 10 years in existence and has attempted to negotiate a formal agreement with Croke Park under five different presidents."

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8121926.stm
Testing Accessibility

Bogball XV

ardmhachaabu

I am getting really tired of the GPA.  Egos are getting way too big when it comes to stunts like this.

It's pathetic and the GPA are pathetic by their actions

Farrell etc really ought to take a good hard look at themselves and their motivation and be honest with both the Association and ordinary punters - they want a share of the takings, that has been their aim all along and I think they should all go fcuk themselves.
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on June 26, 2009, 09:25:41 PM
I am getting really tired of the GPA.  Egos are getting way too big when it comes to stunts like this.

It's pathetic and the GPA are pathetic by their actions

Farrell etc really ought to take a good hard look at themselves and their motivation and be honest with both the Association and ordinary punters - they want a share of the takings, that has been their aim all along and I think they should all go fcuk themselves.

Your 100 per cent correct. Especially with the country suffering in recession. No need for this crap.

pintsofguinness

f**k I'm sick of this bullshit, if they don't want to play would they ever F*CK OFF!!

Pack of stupid c***ts, what exactly is this action in aid of?  What do they want? Have they even said?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

tyronefan

Dessie Farrell at his usual sabre rattling so he can justify another years wages

ziggysego

I was just chatting to someone today about the GPA and how fed up we both are of them. Saying it was a good idea when it was set up, but greedy fcukers like Farrell are ruining the initial idea of it.

Players are well looked out for by their County Boards (Tyrone anyway) and none of them are exactly on the breadline. Certainly no worst than the rest of us anyway.

This is just the last straw and I'm sick of it. What about us? Following inter-county games isn't exactly cheap, but we do for the love of the game.

This is the final straw and I hope Cooney will stand up to them... doubt it though.
Testing Accessibility

Mid Down Gael

Dessie farrell and Donal og Cusack sicken me. I can see Sean Cavanagh following in their footsteps to.

Rois

Does anyone really care if the players don't give interviews? Personally I couldn't give a monkeys.

It is completely sickening when you hear and see people voluntarily giving time, money and expertise in order to leave a strong GAA legacy, and the players, as important as they are, demanding a bit of what could be left for future generations of Gaels.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Mid Down Gael on June 26, 2009, 09:41:34 PM
Dessie farrell and Donal og Cusack sicken me. I can see Sean Cavanagh following in their footsteps to.
Until Geezer got involved with Kildare he was in with them, didn't agree with him either
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Rois on June 26, 2009, 09:46:04 PM
Does anyone really care if the players don't give interviews? Personally I couldn't give a monkeys.

It is completely sickening when you hear and see people voluntarily giving time, money and expertise in order to leave a strong GAA legacy, and the players, as important as they are, demanding a bit of what could be left for future generations of Gaels.

Same here, couldnt care less if I never heard a players interview but that's really not the point.

Bogball XV

aye, but some journo will head out to a player, offer him 200 notes and we'll see how long the embargo lasts and just how strong the union is.  It's all a pile of shite, in saying that I've said it many times before, I'd be as happy to see players get a few quid rather than more big stadiums that'll never be filled being built.

DUBSFORSAM1

Quote from: ziggysego on June 26, 2009, 09:20:11 PM
Gaelic footballers and hurlers have announced they will not do media interviews or promotional work ahead of two provincial finals.

The move is part of the Gaelic Players' Association's long-running dispute with the GAA over getting assistance in employment and health issues.

They said players would not do media interviews for the Leinster football final and the Munster hurling decider.

However, the GPA said they would not interfere with the actual staging of the two matches.

Gaelic football and hurling are amateur sports and a new grants scheme for provincial players could be scrapped because of government spending cuts.

A GPA is angry that many of its members are struggling to get or keep jobs, while helping make huge profits for the GAA by playing in high-profile Championship fixtures.

A statement from the union said: "We have asked the GAA to fund a series of enhanced player welfare programmes in the critical areas of employment, career development and health and well-being services.
"As players have chosen the GPA to represent their interests, it is only through a meaningful official relationship, with the attendant financial commitment, that the GAA can meet its obligations to the inter-county players who do more than anybody to fuel its financial engine.

"The players' association is 10 years in existence and has attempted to negotiate a formal agreement with Croke Park under five different presidents."

Sourced BBCi: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/northern_ireland/gaelic_games/8121926.stm

What exactly is wrong with the highlighted parts???????????

pintsofguinness

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on June 26, 2009, 10:23:37 PM
Quote from: ziggysego on June 26, 2009, 09:20:11 PM

What exactly is wrong with the highlighted parts???????????
Because it's bullshit and since when was the gaa a recruitment agency anyway?

Fear ón Srath Bán

My days just won't be the same, so empty and void.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...