Mayo V Galway - Connacht Final Thread

Started by stephenite, June 24, 2009, 01:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckass

Think McStay is spot on.
Taking a standing solo @ midfield is showboating. The 'Micheal' Jackson fan being the showboater there.
If Mayo were moving the ball over and back @ pace to a moving player it would have been smart.
Didn't see much lazy about the article. Just because he quoted a stat you had noted..doesn't represent plagiarism or anything y'know...

AbbeySider

Quote from: Buckass on July 23, 2009, 10:38:45 AM
...Just because he quoted a stat you had noted..doesn't represent plagiarism or anything y'know...

:P

It was total and utter plagiarism and a serious breach of journalistic ethics that completely undermines any credibility the article has

:D :D

Lar Naparka

Quote from: AbbeySider on July 23, 2009, 09:42:08 AM
If it had worked the Mayo players would have been hailed for it. And it has been proven to work in the past. It just wasnt executed very well on Sunday.
What I love about Mayo supporters is that the craic is always mighty.  Long after the game is over, the post mortems go on and they are usually more interesting than the effin' game had ever been. ;D

To be (a small bit) serious, you have just about the nail on the head on Mayo's antics tactics coming up to the end of the match. I have no problem with them playing 'pass the parcel' right from the time they went one point ahead and they would have been hailed for it, as long as they won.
It certainly has been proven to work many, many times in the past. However, I can never recall a time when it worked for Mayo. I have seen kids in a schoolyard making a much better fist of it than our lads did last Sunday.
Like I said before, Galway handled it very well; they crowded the parcel passers over to the sideline and waited for the inevitable breakdown. I wouldn't blame Conoreen any more than the rest of those involved- it was always going to come to grief in the end. I have a suspicion that if the roles were reversed, Galway would now be Connacht champions and we'd be laying it into the ref and the weather and everything else we could think of.
I think the game did our side a power of good and they won't act the ass so much the next time.
In the end, justice prevailed and we won but the winning could have been a lot easier.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

AbbeySider

Quote from: Lar Naparka on July 23, 2009, 02:09:10 PM
Quote from: AbbeySider on July 23, 2009, 09:42:08 AM
If it had worked the Mayo players would have been hailed for it. And it has been proven to work in the past. It just wasnt executed very well on Sunday.
What I love about Mayo supporters is that the craic is always mighty.  Long after the game is over, the post mortems go on and they are usually more interesting than the effin' game had ever been. ;D

To be (a small bit) serious, you have just about the nail on the head on Mayo's antics tactics coming up to the end of the match. I have no problem with them playing 'pass the parcel' right from the time they went one point ahead and they would have been hailed for it, as long as they won.
It certainly has been proven to work many, many times in the past. However, I can never recall a time when it worked for Mayo. I have seen kids in a schoolyard making a much better fist of it than our lads did last Sunday.
Like I said before, Galway handled it very well; they crowded the parcel passers over to the sideline and waited for the inevitable breakdown. I wouldn't blame Conoreen any more than the rest of those involved- it was always going to come to grief in the end. I have a suspicion that if the roles were reversed, Galway would now be Connacht champions and we'd be laying it into the ref and the weather and everything else we could think of.
I think the game did our side a power of good and they won't act the ass so much the next time.
In the end, justice prevailed and we won but the winning could have been a lot easier.

I would agree with most of that Lar.
At that late stage the legs were gone in both teams. Alan Dillon was going to take on Decie Meehan, swerving up along the sideline before he changed his mind and checked back to give a pass. Meehan looked out on his feet too and I dont think he would have kept with him if Dillon kept going.
Galway still had a dying kick in them and were motivated and living on the adrenaline of the comeback. The game seemed to be won in the heads of the Mayo players so the possession game started.
But, if Mayo used the space in the middle of the pitch to play the possession game it would have worked better. Ballina did that, working for each other, running off the shoulder and playing it to perfection when they closed off the game to win their club All Ireland.
But instead of that, Mayo tried to hold onto the ball in the corner under the stand, only to be brought over to the far sideline, bottling it up again, before we lost possession through lack of concentration and sloppiness.

But as with these post mortems, hindsight is a great thing!  :P
Sure where would the board be without it?  ;D

Farrandeelin

Whatever about the board and post-mortems, where would Mayo be without them? Maybe we are too critical in our post-mortems of games. They usually last up until the start of the next game in my house!
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

mrhardyannual

IMO people are far too quick to criticise "usual suspects". Conor for example. Scored 1-02, tracked his man (and others) around the field, didn't start the "keep ball" on either occasion. Volunteered to take final kick. Not a bad display for 35 mins. And how about Barry Moran? Scored a goal, knocked down ball for at least one pt., neutralised one of Galways top players ( Hanley) and allows Mayo the chance to deploy 19 yr old O Shea in the less pressurised corner forward berth while still maintaining a threat at full-forward. Liam O Malley hadn't his greatest hour but was preferrable as a starter than the "rookie" Vaughan - especially when Joyce was on song. Suited Vaughan to be introduced rather than started.
Overall - the sweetest victory over Galway that I can remember - and I can go back to 1967. Just when Galway (and most of Mayo) thought we'd let it slip. Time to win is when there's no time to come back. Killer blow that will take Galway longer than this week-end to shake off. I can do recessions like this every year.
 :) ;D ;)

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Farrandeelin on July 23, 2009, 05:18:01 PM
Whatever about the board and post-mortems, where would Mayo be without them? Maybe we are too critical in our post-mortems of games. They usually last up until the start of the next game in my house!
You'd want to see mine then!
Even my one and only good buddy, the bloody dog, has started shaking his head and slinking off when he sees me coming.
Whenever The Boss would say it was a case of her or the computer whenever Mayo would lose a game, I could call her bluff because she knew what answer to that one would be every time! ;D
But I think I overheard her telling her sister that it was going to be a case of me or the computer this time if I didn't leave Bannon, whoever he is, alone.
I would do almost any thing for the sake of Mayo football but I could well do without another crack on the cranium. Like Mayo on Sunday, I might not be so lucky the next time.
I wish Barney would leave off whatever he's up to this weather and go start a new thread.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: mrhardyannual on July 23, 2009, 06:08:10 PM
Killer blow that will take Galway longer than this week-end to shake off.

Don't worry. We'll be back to spoil plenty of Mayo parties in the future. ;D

moysider

About postmortems and all that stuff. Now is the time for them and you can be sure management is doing one and how we progress -or not- from here, will depend on what they learn from it and the strategies they devise on correcting  things that did nt work well. And of course the players implementing these.

Lots of posters have identified things that did nt work well the last day.

The main criticism has been about the deployment of Ronaldson as a sweeper.

The question that must be asked is what Management expected to happen when Ronaldson was introduced in this role? It must be borne in mind that we were losing the battle in midfield for some time before the sub. so it must have been  an attempt to reverse that trend. I assume that management did not want to replace anybody from 8-12 [ with Parsons as a ball winner], and they tried a different strategy to get more possession and protection for their lead. Consensus seems to be that it did nt work too well but management might see it differently. They won the game and they could point to other factors for it being so close at the end.
Our criticisms here only amount to a hill of beans. It s what management and players learn that counts. As regards the 'Ronaldson Strategy' they ll be asking themselves.
What went wrong, why did nt it work better? [that s if they concede it did nt work well]
Will we use it again? If not what would we do instead?

I hope it s not something that was used because it was developed during the league and sort of deployed because it's there and it's very clever. I can appreciate what they were trying to do. But I think there was nt enough legs left on the field to work with that tactic. Mind you they could not just lump ball away into that wind either. Good thing is there is time now to work it out. We should have the personnel to develop tactics like this. Otherwise we may forget about it.

moysider

Why cant we have a Mayo 1/4 final thread? Tyrone are up to 6 pages already even though they don t know who their opponents will be same as ourselves. Barney needs to be reported for dereliction of duty.

Mayo4Sam

Quote from: Kilconly SuperSub on July 19, 2009, 07:23:32 PM
Mayo's first goal was a square ball, Second one started with an obvious pick off the ground

I watched the replay again yesterday, the square ball is impossible to tell but there wasn't even a hint of mortimer going near the ground for the ball, like he literally didn;t even have to bend his back to get the ball
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 25, 2009, 09:07:24 AM
Mayo's first goal was a square ball, Second one started with an obvious pick off the ground

I watched the replay again yesterday, the square ball is impossible to tell but there wasn't even a hint of mortimer going near the ground for the ball, like he literally didn;t even have to bend his back to get the ball

Yeah Trevor Mortimer was grand there is no pick up there, go back have a look at how Alan Dillion acquired the ball just prior to passing it to him, as blatant as pick off the ground as you'll see.

criostlinn

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 25, 2009, 09:35:12 AM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam on July 25, 2009, 09:07:24 AM

Yeah Trevor Mortimer was grand there is no pick up there, go back have a look at how Alan Dillion acquired the ball just prior to passing it to him, as blatant as pick off the ground as you'll see.

As blatant as bergins pick of the ground for nickys 2nd point ??

CĂșig huaire

So a few weeks ago Conor Mortimer shocked the GAA world with this display......

So what is the connection between Mayo and Michael Jackson?

So far the following..

1. Both have never performed in Croke Park
2. No amount of cosmetic surgery could ever cover up the cracks.
3. Both spent a large portion of time living off past glories.
4. Neverland
5. MJ was also often outshone by his sisters.
6. Like MJ Mayo always preform better with the minors.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.