Mayo V Galway - Connacht Final Thread

Started by stephenite, June 24, 2009, 01:15:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Galway to be strong favourites :P

Bod Mor

I want Galway, it will be the test for this Mayo team. Got a very bad sunburn at the last Connacht final in Salthill and we got badly abused by Galway people afterwards, called every name under the sun! It wasn't a very good day at all so revenge must be on the cards.

I expect Galway to ease past Sligo.
Ó chuir mé 'mo cheann é ní stopfaidh mé choíche
Go seasfaidh mé thíos i lár Chondae Mhaigh Eo.

Barney

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Tubberman

A changing of the guard on gaaboard!  :D

On the match, I hope it's Galway in the final too. I've yet to see a Mayo senior team win in Pearse Stadium.
Had some v bad days, 07 was a particularly bad day. Scorching hot, Mayo got the run around, McDonald got landed on his arse with a shoulder and the Galway crowd were lapping it up. Not a good day.
I remember being there at an U-21 match when Maughan was in charge as well, and Mayo got absolutely annihalated.
The closest to a Mayo win I witnessed there was Stephenites v Kilmurry-Ibrickens (or however it's spelt).

So it would be great to come up against Galway again and finally beat them in Pearse Stadium. I don't think Galway are particularly strong this year, so we'd have every chance, especially if we can get off to a good start again.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

IolarCoisCuain

I want Sligo.

Pearse Stadium is a dog of a place to get to. Backed up against the Atlantic you could be in the motor for two solid hours and not even got past city limits on the way home. It's a shocking place. You might have a chance if you were Gráinne Ní Mháille, and could come ashore on the beach from your pirate ship, but otherwise it's a bugger.

Markiewicz Park, however, is a fine spot. If you're on the right side of the ground you can see Ben Bulben in the distance, and recite certain favourite lines of Yeats to soothe the soul.

The last time Mayo played Sligo was in the Hyde, and that too is a fine spot. The only issue is drainage, and the current scorchio! weather means that shouldn't be an issue.

Castlebar is a fine spot also. But Salthill - no, no, a thousand times no!

Barney

Salthill is a disaster for a match - getting there, getting back, and while there.

But I want Galway - lets see what we are really worth. It is the big test for both teams. The winner will have a right cut at getting to September.

Tatler Jack

QuoteSalthill is a disaster for a match - getting there, getting back, and while there.

Oh for the days when Tuam was the epicentre of Galway football. Are there any plans to develop the grounds there.

Regardless of where the game is or the opposition I expect Mayo to win. The league win over Galway was very significant for both teams in terms of the direction they are going this year. If the CF is v Sligo would also expect them to carry way to much power for the Yeats men.

HowAreYeGettinOn

Would rather Tuam myself - at least we've won there in my lifetime. No win in PS since 1967, and I wouldn't be too sure we'd sneak it this time either, especially since the Roscommon 'performance' on Saturday leaves us with no idea if we're up to the level required to win.

Memories of Pearse Stadium? Some bad ones - standing behind the Threadneedle Rd. side goal in 2003 watching another one of our glorious failures, and all through every one of the 70 minutes having to listen to some Galway lad shouting 'Where's your All-Ireland, Mayo? Where's your All-Ireland?'

Not to mention 2007, seeing McDonald get floored when he was blindsided, then having to listen to Galway boys trying to laud that as some kind of achievement.

But I'll take a good memory too - seeing the Mayo u-21s hammer Gaillimh by 7 points there last year. Now that was enjoyable.  ;)

AbbeySider

Quote from: HowAreYeGettinOn on June 24, 2009, 10:14:45 AM

Not to mention 2007, seeing McDonald get floored when he was blindsided, then having to listen to Galway boys trying to laud that as some kind of achievement.

Welcome to the board HAYGO.

Ill always feel bad for McDonald when I think of that match. He will never get the chance to answer the goading and jeering from the Galway crowd. He wasnt even up from going down on the ball when he was hit completely blind and off balance, maddens me when I think of it.

Going back to Pearse Stadium. The traffic logistics of it are shite. Its one way in and one way out.
I would take a chance and park in Terryland early, walk or into Eyre Square (5 mins) and get a bus or walk out to Salthill (15-20 min walk).

When you are coming back out traffic will be at a complete stand still and by the time you are back in Terryland you would be ahead of most of the traffic. If you dont and you park in Salthill I would wait a while, have a pint somewhere and let traffic pass if you are not in a hurry.

Going back to the game, I think we are looking at it all wrong, Galway are there to be knocked in Pearse Stadium. Thats how you should look at it. For the first time in a while we wont really be underdogs going into it and we can take confidence from the league game and the hammering  we gave the Rossies. There will be no cloud hanging over us like in 07.

AbbeySider

By the way did anyone else hear that Paraic Joyce has retired from Inter County football?

Its true.....

Apparently after seeing the Mayo performance against the Rossies he doesnt see the point in going on.  :P  ;) :D

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: AbbeySider on June 24, 2009, 11:52:21 AM
Quote from: HowAreYeGettinOn on June 24, 2009, 10:14:45 AM

Welcome to the board HAYGO.

Ill always feel bad for McDonald when I think of that match. He will never get the chance to answer the goading and jeering from the Galway crowd. He wasnt even up from going down on the ball when he was hit completely blind and off balance, maddens me when I think of it.

What should madden you more AS is the fact that after Burke "nailed" him, he sauntered up the field, ball in hand, without one mayo man even attempting to exact retribution of any sort.  I actually couldnt believe how Mayo went down without a fight that day.  I dont think I have ever see a Mayo side so listless versus Galway.  I certainly dont expect a similar performance from yer lads if we happen to meet up in the same venue in July.

Barney

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: Barney on June 24, 2009, 12:50:39 PM
Is it a 2 o'clock or 4 o'clock game.

Connacht Final will be a 4pm game according to GAA website Barney.

HowAreYeGettinOn

QuoteQuote from: AbbeySider on Today at 11:52:21 AM
What should madden you more AS is the fact that after Burke "nailed" him, he sauntered up the field, ball in hand, without one mayo man even attempting to exact retribution of any sort.  I actually couldnt believe how Mayo went down without a fight that day.  I dont think I have ever see a Mayo side so listless versus Galway.  I certainly dont expect a similar performance from yer lads if we happen to meet up in the same venue in July.

Agree. Mayo were walking around in a daze. Aside from a bit of pushing and shoving by Brady, nobody put it up to Galway physically. The old Galway thing of 'Rough it up and the Mayo boys will cough it up' certainly held true that day.

I'd hope that the bigger men O'Mahony is bringing in (B Moran, A O'Shea etc) might improve Mayo's overall toughness. It's '96/'97 since we had a team that could handle the rough stuff.