Where,What,How for the GAA in Armagh?

Started by LCohen, July 16, 2015, 03:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

The Down fans have a thread - why can we?

A fairly depressing season for Armagh. A big panel, a big backroom, little club footbal being played by county squad members, little underage success, turgid style of football at underage and especially senior level, no appreciation of the need to attack, no appreciaition of the need to address discipline, 4 more years to look forward to, little self belief in the squad/team, a stupid bloody big screen in the corner of the ground that doesn't get turned on.

What does next year hold and what do we need  to do.

Keyboard Warrior

Quote from: LCohen on July 16, 2015, 03:27:17 PM

A fairly depressing season for Armagh. A big panel, a big backroom, little club footbal being played by county squad members, little underage success, turgid style of football at underage and especially senior level, no appreciation of the need to attack, no appreciaition of the need to address discipline, 4 more years to look forward to, little self belief in the squad/team, a stupid bloody big screen in the corner of the ground that doesn't get turned on.

Things... can only get better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwWfE4DAyao

Dinny Breen

Patience, I know we live in a knee-jerk reaction world but if you look at McGeeney and Kildare years 2,3 and 4 were the best years. Played some superb attacking football, got us to Division 1 and an AI semi plus some heart breaking moments. Just wait a while before you judge his tenure.
#newbridgeornowhere

Aaron Boone

McGeeney counted as one of the best managers of the game. Once all the pieces fall into place, then he will bring success.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Aaron Boone on July 16, 2015, 05:01:35 PM
McGeeney counted as one of the best managers of the game. Once all the pieces fall into place, then he will bring success.

He has weaknesses, poor on the line and tactically inflexible. If I was an Armagh supporter would like to see him draft in Joe Kernan to be his Mickey Whelan type consultant.
#newbridgeornowhere

moysider

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 16, 2015, 05:22:23 PM

He has weaknesses, poor on the line and tactically inflexible. If I was an Armagh supporter would like to see him draft in Joe Kernan to be his Mickey Whelan type consultant.

Fairly alarming deficiencies in fairness ???
What are the things he does well?

omaghjoe

Quote from: moysider on July 16, 2015, 05:35:51 PM

He likes to box apparently

Over the Bar

Quote McGeeney counted as one of the best managers of the game. Once all the pieces fall into place, then he will bring success.

In that case how did he end up as assistant coach with a Div 3 outfit? :/

Throw ball

Not very likely. Personally I would like to see Paul Grimley perform that role.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: moysider on July 16, 2015, 05:35:51 PM

He's very good at creating a team environment and culture. Strong organisational skills, good on a technical level and a very good motivator, excellent man-manager by all accounts. Yea tactics is his weakness and I think his lack of experience at club level or even under-age is evident.
#newbridgeornowhere

DuffleKing

Quote from: LCohen on July 16, 2015, 03:27:17 PM

Nine months into a 5 year development commitment by the county. I'm sure McGeeney will have a pretty good picture of what needs to happen next. If there was disappointment with performances and return for the work they've done among fans I can only imagine the rage it have generated in McGeeney.

The discussion on the ground seems to be mostly centred on style of play but his Kildare teams always played attractive football to a fault - you'd expect this to evolve. The biggest problem he faces with this is tradition - Armagh are a kicking county by nature and everyone wants to see that but... against the better teams with structured defences it is nigh on impossible to kick much ball effectively.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 16, 2015, 04:07:16 PM
Patience, I know we live in a knee-jerk reaction world but if you look at McGeeney and Kildare years 2,3 and 4 were the best years. Played some superb attacking football, got us to Division 1 and an AI semi plus some heart breaking moments. Just wait a while before you judge his tenure.

Does he have as talented or as committed a panel in Armagh?
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

screenexile

By whom and based on what evidence??

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 16, 2015, 08:02:05 PM

Missing leaders too no Johnny Doyle or Dermot Earley types
#newbridgeornowhere

twohands!!!

Quote from: Dinny Breen on July 16, 2015, 08:27:21 PM
Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on July 16, 2015, 08:02:05 PM

Missing leaders too no Johnny Doyle or Dermot Earley types

Will be interesting to see if there are any retirements over the winter.
Division 2 next year looks like it will be a bit of a step-up in quality from what Division 3 was this year, especially with 4 games against Ulster rivals (Tyrone, Derry, Cavan and Fermanagh)