Rural criminality

Started by LCohen, January 31, 2013, 09:57:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCohen

The recent sad events on Lordship and the news story that nobody has been imprisoned in the North for fuel laundering in the last 10 years makes me think - how much criminality are we prepared to tolerate? As someone originaly form the border areas of Armagh I am fairly depressed on how much ordinary everyday folk are prepared to sit back and ignore. Will the Lordship events spark a reaction? Will authorities north and south increase policing?

Rudi

No is the answer to you question. The fighting Irish are no longer, we now bend over and take it from behind routinely. I see it at all levels in irish society, from paying the bondholders to known scum in rural areas breaking in to auld ones homes. Its time the former fianicial regulator, the Seanie Fitz's and Berties of this nation were tried in court, or else given a good old fashioned beatin. Local scumbags who get a token suspended sentence, should face the local vigilantes who would give them a real sentence. I can just about handle this country losing its economic sovereignty, its morality is a step to far.

Tubberman

Quote from: Rudi on January 31, 2013, 10:12:13 AM
No is the answer to you question. The fighting Irish are no longer, we now bend over and take it from behind routinely. I see it at all levels in irish society, from paying the bondholders to known scum in rural areas breaking in to auld ones homes. Its time the former fianicial regulator, the Seanie Fitz's and Berties of this nation were tried in court, or else given a good old fashioned beatin. Local scumbags who get a token suspended sentence, should face the local vigilantes who would give them a real sentence. I can just about handle this country losing its economic sovereignty, its morality is a step to far.

And vigilantes roaming the streets and byroads of the country restores the morality?
By the way I'm in complete agreement that the criminality in rural areas, and the destruction of rural life in many ways, is a huge issue which is not being given the priority it deserves and needs. Much of this is the fault of the government, but I put a lot of blame on the national media who simply do not care about rural Ireland. It has no impact on their lives, so it's ignored.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

LCohen

Vigilante justice is a bizarre form of morality that I would want no part of.

I only recently joined this forum and joined obviously because of my interest in GAA. The GAA role in this saddens me. I am familiar with GAA clubs accepting funds from sources they know are not legitmate. I also know players and managers who are feted as heroes and as upstanding citizens when the widely known reality on the ground is that they are involved in activities that range from financial criminality to holding communities to ransom.

People need to stand up 

NAG1

Quote from: LCohen on January 31, 2013, 10:22:47 AM

I only recently joined this forum and joined obviously because of my interest in GAA. The GAA role in this saddens me. I am familiar with GAA clubs accepting funds from sources they know are not legitmate. I also know players and managers who are feted as heroes and as upstanding citizens when the widely known reality on the ground is that they are involved in activities that range from financial criminality to holding communities to ransom.

People need to stand up

Think this is a completely sweeping statement and not the reality for 99.9% of GAA clubs.

Were it not for the GAA providing facilities for rural communities, activities and social interaction where the f**k would the country be? Youth activities, keeping them off the streets and on the straight and narrow.

Start looking in D4 for the reasons of rural criminality in the south before you start landing it at the GAA's door. See the Assembly for the same in the North.

Of all the organisations you pick to point the finger at on this one you pick the GAA - Unbelievable

LCohen

Quote from: NAG1 on January 31, 2013, 10:29:53 AM

People need to stand up

Think this is a completely sweeping statement and not the reality for 99.9% of GAA clubs.

Were it not for the GAA providing facilities for rural communities, activities and social interaction where the f**k would the country be? Youth activities, keeping them off the streets and on the straight and narrow.

Start looking in D4 for the reasons of rural criminality in the south before you start landing it at the GAA's door. See the Assembly for the same in the North.

Of all the organisations you pick to point the finger at on this one you pick the GAA - Unbelievable

Strange post that.

I did not say that the GAA was either solely reponsible nor indeed a major cause. I did point that the link to the GAA is saddening. Feel free to deny there is a link or point out that the link is not saddening. Then we can have a sensible debate. I'm not sure what your post is trying to achieve unless its a cry for help.

Tubberman

Quote from: LCohen on January 31, 2013, 10:38:06 AM

People need to stand up

Strange post that.

I did not say that the GAA was either solely reponsible nor indeed a major cause. I did point that the link to the GAA is saddening. Feel free to deny there is a link or point out that the link is not saddening. Then we can have a sensible debate. I'm not sure what your post is trying to achieve unless its a cry for help.

Well maybe there's a bit of a phenomenon in your area, but I can safely say as a person "on the ground" that I don't know of any GAA players or managers holding their communities to ransom or involved in financial criminality.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

LCohen

Its certainly a problem in my area. Wheter it is or is not in your area I can't say.

I raised 2 points
a) Receiving payments from illegitimate sources
b) the involvement of GAA officials in wider criminality.

The latter is of course is not going to be uniform across the country and some areas will be more afflicted that others.

The first point is surely more widespread? Some things to think about - is your/neighbouring club/county paying managers/officials? Is that payment recorded in your books? Is the income that funds that payment recorded in your books? If not does it originate from a legitimate source and properly accounted for? This is not the sole point of debate but it is something to think about before making any robust defence of the organisation or officials within it.

seafoid

The GAA is evil and all members should be interned.
Especially Kerry and Kilkenny players. Make the all Irelands a bit fairer and spread the joy around. 

Hardy

Whatever about active engagement in criminality, I think we, as a community, urban and rural need to take a look at some of our hypocrisy before we start bleating for somebody else to fix the problem of criminality. I'm generalising, not saying that everybody thinks or acts this way, but I'm thinking particularly of the prevalent attitude to the black economy in stolen goods.

A lot of the same people who bemoan the fact that their elderly relatives are living in fear in their homes won't think twice about buying dodgy gear in the market, stolen cigarettes and booze and so on. I know one fella who had power tools nicked from his van and moaned over his pints for week about the state of the country. The next week he bought a load of gear from a passing van.

If there was no market for stolen goods, not a single house would be broken into, anywhere. And the market for the stolen goods is our neighbours and friends, folks.

theskull1

Quote from: LCohen on January 31, 2013, 11:05:05 AM
Its certainly a problem in my area. Wheter it is or is not in your area I can't say.

I raised 2 points
a) Receiving payments from illegitimate sources
b) the involvement of GAA officials in wider criminality.

The latter is of course is not going to be uniform across the country and some areas will be more afflicted that others.

The first point is surely more widespread? Some things to think about - is your/neighbouring club/county paying managers/officials? Is that payment recorded in your books? Is the income that funds that payment recorded in your books? If not does it originate from a legitimate source and properly accounted for? This is not the sole point of debate but it is something to think about before making any robust defence of the organisation or officials within it.

Now we're aligning pensioners getting raided in the night to managers getting cash in hand from money collected through local fund raising (which I'm against by the way). Catch a grip...create a separate thread if you'd like to discuss the latter issue.

I to know of no active GAA man within 20 miles of me who is involved in criminality of any sort. Your club/community must be in a sorry state if that's the type of individuals who are part of it.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

LCohen

Quote from: theskull1 on January 31, 2013, 11:29:24 AM
Now we're aligning pensioners getting raided in the night to managers getting cash in hand from money collected through local fund raising (which I'm against by the way). Catch a grip...create a separate thread if you'd like to discuss the latter issue.

I to know of no active GAA man within 20 miles of me who is involved in criminality of any sort. Your club/community must be in a sorry state if that's the type of individuals who are part of it.

I created this thread specifically to explore this issue. Its interesting that the vast majority of people are against criminality and dodgy financial dealings but when its highlighted that aspects of our society which we hold dear are infact at best turning a blind eye to whats going on around them they start making excuses (a general point and an accusation agianst the posters above).

My own club is in a bad way. Not because there is open debate and disagreement over this issue but because people just sit there silently and let things go on around then. Its very sad. Whilst the problem is pronounced in my area its not exclusive to my club/parish.

Where local fundraising involves receipt of any significant sum from a single source then yes we should be challenging the source of where its from

NAG1

Quote from: LCohen on January 31, 2013, 10:38:06 AM

People need to stand up

Strange post that.

Yes but you start a thread with the title Rural Criminality and the only organisation mentioned in your post is the GAA.

Ulterior motives.

LCohen

NAG1

Quote from: LCohen on January 31, 2013, 12:04:27 PM
Ahem

Sorry it is gaaboard.com isn't it?

Yeah it is and I refute your link between the GAA and the title of your thread, you come up some anecdotal evidence and try to smear the whole of the GAA with it, that's wrong and uncalled for. If you have an issue in your club, go to a club meeting and raise it with the committee.