Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brick Tamlin

The clubs in Down have a huge responsibility in all this too. More now than ever there is a huge onus on them to have a sound underage structure in place; to provide a healthy competitive environment for kids to flourish. But this takes a serious volunteer effort not to mention individuals with knowledge and experience with the proper coaching credentials.

For what its worth i think that finances should be directed into the local clubs and primary schools to ensure coaches are upskilled and kids are catered for with the best resources possible. We couldnt supply enough coaches and plough enough finances into this area if you ask me. But then again we all know that finance is a huge area of concern within the county.

Some of the names being bandied about are totally questionable. Some of them have little experience of managing senior club football teams, never mind experienced success. Others have already been involved before with Down teams and have had a shot and have either not succeeded or have left the stage after giving everything they could. Then we have those who have shown to lack the personal qualities required, displaying serious narcissism along the way.

Ive no doubt Eamon Burns is a decent man and tried his best but if we are honest he should never have been appointed as the manager in the first place. Ive no doubt he will do the decent thing and walk away now but id be shocked if there are a line of clubs looking for his service; as it was before he took on the Down job.

The decision makers have a serious task ahead but with their track record in recent years i fear it will be an underwhelming appointment yet again; one that smells of taking the easy/cheap option, maybe another who will acquiesce to them and will be deemed a 'safe pair of hands', probably another hero of the 90s. I dont mean that as an insult on that group but with every failed attempt to shoehorn some of our counties most beloved into managerial roles it personally erodes the on-field memories i would have had of them as players.

No manager worth his salt or with a shred of integrity would tolerate the county secretary or any other committee member for that matter running amok on sidelines and inside the wire, not to mention on the field of play whether its near teams warming up or at team huddles.

Go after Malachy O'Rourke when Monaghan season finishes and give him everything he requires to do the job over a period of 4 years.

Smurfy123

Give brick the job. In fairness you correct with Malachy O Rourke Down should go after him and soon. Will they get him though? What names that have been mentioned have already failed with Down brick?

Cuan12

Open question, regardless of past Down involvement in a playing capacity and irrespective of age and current occupation what do the posters/readers on this forum would make for a decent appointment with a realistic chance of success, for what it's worth , here's what I think should be on the c v

1. Previous senior team management experience with a degree of success
2.A good understanding of the underage structures within Down football, the development squads and schools teams.
3.A hefty set of swingers because he has to not only get the best players out, he has to contend with club managers and secretaries who are self centred at best and then the county executive who up to now have caused this county to fail miserably on and of the field and to compound matters he either tells Sean og to stay at home or get him a tracksuit as he is ire on the pitch than some of the players.
4. Lastly but not least he must be able to provide success on a shoe string budget because we have little or know money to splash about.
That's leaves me to think it has to be an inward appointment, I know of several clubs in Down who have appointment from within and aren't doing too bad.
Suggestions on a postcard , please send to ———————-

JimmyFloydMay123

Rather than talking about the negativity surrounding our county teams, can we look at the positivity  Of youth and discuss how the U16 and Minor leagues are shaping up, can't be too many games left I presume?

Targetman

Its a discussion board and the main topic of discussion is the depressing state of our county teams!!

snoopdog

Quote from: Targetman on June 27, 2018, 06:20:16 PM
Its a discussion board and the main topic of discussion is the depressing state of our county teams!!
Its in such a depressing state im too depressed to talk about  it.

SHEEDY

Good interview with steven poacher in the newry reporter over the last 2 weeks. No matter what anyone thinks of him, you cant deny he is a real passionate and committed gaa man and speaks a lot of sense regarding the state of football in the county.
nil satis nisi optimum

Ambrose

Quote from: SHEEDY on June 27, 2018, 09:04:36 PM
Good interview with steven poacher in the newry reporter over the last 2 weeks. No matter what anyone thinks of him, you cant deny he is a real passionate and committed gaa man and speaks a lot of sense regarding the state of football in the county.

Great interview, something we need to see more of from the local press. Poacher comes across very well and you can't certainly can't deny that he is a passionate GAA man, but he just wouldn't fit with the current administration, but we've been down this road too many times before. "You can't live off history and tradition forever."  ;)
You can't live off history and tradition forever

Cuan12

Any one up for county secretary post, certainly need a replacement , out with the old in with the new, you would have to get the hilltown mafia on your side, then onward to county convention, has to happen sooner than later, c v to compete with current holder of post would need to include , hardworking but clueless, interfering attitude with little football experience and a little experience in business might also help.
So a new secretary , county executive and senior manger , not much to ask for , I wish it was xmas or carlsberg dabbled in such things.

johnnycool

Quote from: Cuan12 on June 28, 2018, 07:28:13 AM
Any one up for county secretary post, certainly need a replacement , out with the old in with the new, you would have to get the hilltown mafia on your side, then onward to county convention, has to happen sooner than later, c v to compete with current holder of post would need to include , hardworking but clueless, interfering attitude with little football experience and a little experience in business might also help.
So a new secretary , county executive and senior manger , not much to ask for , I wish it was xmas or carlsberg dabbled in such things.

I keep telling you, there's no one in Down can move that man. He's appointed by the Ulster Council and can only be removed by them and with all the implications of redundancy, pensions and so forth he'll move on in a time of his own choosing.

Cuan12

If enough club reps voted to oust the current secretary , he has to go, Armagh did something similar a few years ago when it was thought a full time secretary was not needed, I would to check but something tells me the payment of the county secretary's considerable salary is part funded if not fully funded by our county, if that's the case it's inconceivable that a secretary could carry on without the backing of the clubs.

downjim

Only the big clubs getting big Feile games, enjoy your Feile festivities. Feel free to call to Burren on Sunday

Smurfy123

Clownjim enjoy parading them around the Point tonight. Nothing good to see in Burren?

Mourne Rover

The two Cavan players who got red cards after the final whistle in Brewster Park have been cleared on appeal, according to RTE, but there was no mention of Doherty. As things stand, he would presumably miss our first championship match next year. Perhaps something will be announced in the morning.

downjim

Quote from: Smurfy123 on June 28, 2018, 05:41:35 PM
Clownjim enjoy parading them around the Point tonight. Nothing good to see in Burren?

Was a great night. Had to show CPN how to do it

Anyway at the blueshirt game last night?