Skiing

Started by The Claw, September 05, 2007, 05:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WeeDonns

IMO the apres ski in any resort differs from week to week depending on the people out there.
When we went there were 16 of us, so enough to create our own craic, but we also went on those tour company organised pub crawls which turned out pretty mad....

We're too sensible for that now  ;)

Rois

Quote from: WeeDonns on January 11, 2017, 03:26:58 PM
IMO the apres ski in any resort differs from week to week depending on the people out there.
When we went there were 16 of us, so enough to create our own craic, but we also went on those tour company organised pub crawls which turned out pretty mad....

We're too sensible for that now  ;)

I think I'm on the same ski holiday maturity curve as you WeeDonns. 

Private lessons: learning speed is accelerated but can be a bit intensive for your first week
Ski school: slower pace of learning but the craic can be great and you'll learn loads anyway 
It's a holiday - enjoy it!  You don't need to be an expert after a week. 

manfromdelmonte

Once got a random free skiing lesson in indoor ski slope in Dubai from a NZ lad who was there passing a few days between the snowboarding seasons in Alps and NZ.
He was a professional instructor.

Bit mad really

Puckoon

3 pretty basic ideas Leenie

Lean into the hill as Skull suggested. Weight in the heels and leaning back is a recipe for uncontrolled terminal velocity.

Pizza and French Fries

"Pizza" = thought for stopping/slowing. Toe end of skis pointed towards one another and the heel
End pointed away from one another. / \

"French Fries" = open the skis up into parallel to get moving l l

leenie

I'm came back yesterday from what was the most amazing holiday.. don't think I'll b going on any other types of holidays now, I'm bruised head to toe and don't care
Got private lessons which defo was worth every penny, where else would you get a French man shouting at you to open your legs wider and it be exceptable  :P
I'm trying to decide on a really meaningful message..

Rois

Delighted to hear it Leenie - isn't it just the best type of activity holiday?  Did you get sunshine?

I just got back from a week in Canada skiing in Banff/lake Louise and absolutely loved it.  A long way to go for a week but an amazing trip. 

leenie

We had fantastic weather , the regular ski goers I was with said it was one of the sunniest weeks the had. I'm definetley hooked now. It's so active and you make the most of everyday.. I'll b back next and determined to ski the black mountain.

Rois

Return flights Belfast to Geneva the week we're heading skiing (4-11 March) for less than £70 return! Train from Belfast to Dublin return is about the same price. Just a heads up in case anyone is thinking of booking a DIY-er.

seafoid

The snow is excellent this season so far.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

michaelg

Quote from: leenie on March 13, 2017, 03:00:51 PM
We had fantastic weather , the regular ski goers I was with said it was one of the sunniest weeks the had. I'm definetley hooked now. It's so active and you make the most of everyday.. I'll b back next and determined to ski the black mountain.
I hear Divis is pretty good too.

Rois

Seafoid, what's happening in Geneva, airport closed for a spell the last two days?? I'm flying in on Sunday, will I get there ok?

leenie

Heading shortly to Dublin airport and all being well will be back in andorra tomorrow.. I see the coppers ski trip to Italy got cancelled today.. two separate flights of skiers - must be gutted ..please God our flight still goes .. so far it's looking good but aer lingus are still cancelling some of their flights...

seafoid

Quote from: Rois on March 02, 2018, 09:38:40 PM
Seafoid, what's happening in Geneva, airport closed for a spell the last two days?? I'm flying in on Sunday, will I get there ok?
Rois, the combination of snow and minus 6 to 10 degrees messed up things at the airport but since then the Foehn wind has brought temperatures back to normal so I imagine Sunday will be OK. 
Beautiful powdery snow today.

Rois

Quote from: leenie on March 03, 2018, 09:18:56 PM
Heading shortly to Dublin airport and all being well will be back in andorra tomorrow.. I see the coppers ski trip to Italy got cancelled today.. two separate flights of skiers - must be gutted ..please God our flight still goes .. so far it's looking good but aer lingus are still cancelling some of their flights...
Leenie, are you on a package trip? Hopefully if any delays, the tour op will get you there at some stage, if not on time.

Saw things getting back to normal in Geneva Seafoid, heading to Les Gets, first time staying in that resort in PdS. Glad to hear you had a good day, where were you?

seafoid

Quote from: Rois on March 03, 2018, 09:52:01 PM
Quote from: leenie on March 03, 2018, 09:18:56 PM
Leenie, are you on a package trip? Hopefully if any delays, the tour op will get you there at some stage, if not on time.

Saw things getting back to normal in Geneva Seafoid, heading to Les Gets, first time staying in that resort in PdS. Glad to hear you had a good day, where were you?
Villars sur Ollon.Across the Rhône valley from PdS.
Last Saturday the pistes were rock hard