Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toby47

Quote from: breakingball on February 03, 2019, 08:28:01 PM
3rd of feb and county footballers year is as good as over barring a win or two in the qualifiers.

What would the general feeling be for a two tiered championship in Antrim?

Read the article the other day where Declan Lynch was saying the League is the main part of Antrim's season as they aren't going to win Ulster/Sam, it's a sad reality that any ambitions for Antrims season is over already.

inabsentia

Quote from: toby47 on February 04, 2019, 09:21:31 AM
Quote from: breakingball on February 03, 2019, 08:28:01 PM
3rd of feb and county footballers year is as good as over barring a win or two in the qualifiers.

What would the general feeling be for a two tiered championship in Antrim?

Read the article the other day where Declan Lynch was saying the League is the main part of Antrim's season as they aren't going to win Ulster/Sam, it's a sad reality that any ambitions for Antrims season is over already.

To put it in perspective, I don't think we'd won a championship match for about 4-5 years previous to 2009 and then we got to the ulster final. So I'd disagree with the idea of a two tiered championship.

On the other hand, teams seem to have actually progressed in the interim years whereas we've stood still. Some teams have actually regressed, reformed and climbed back up in that time as well.

Is there something we aren't doing? This Gaelfast program can't come fast enough.

belfastsaff

I believe the antrim team yesterday had 5/6 maximum of the best footballers in county , two johnstones , fitzy ( who didn't start ?) , McBride , murray and delargy. Fine margins it came down to in the derry and yesterdays wexford game hitting the woodwork doesn't help things. Lennie's time has to be up we need something new to get us out of the basement. Seasons over unless we get a good draw in the qualifiers.

paddyjohn

Can Lenny be held accountable? He can only work with what he has.

inabsentia

Quote from: belfastsaff on February 04, 2019, 11:05:58 AM
I believe the antrim team yesterday had 5/6 maximum of the best footballers in county , two johnstones , fitzy ( who didn't start ?) , McBride , murray and delargy. Fine margins it came down to in the derry and yesterdays wexford game hitting the woodwork doesn't help things. Lennie's time has to be up we need something new to get us out of the basement. Seasons over unless we get a good draw in the qualifiers.

We can't keep going with this managerial roundabout when it's clearly not the issue.
There is no grade where Antrim are competitive in football. They might get the odd year where they catch someone on the bounce at minor, but as a whole it's not something to be relied on.

Starting with the senior team is treating the symptoms rather than the cause.

bannside

Long drive home especially knowing there was very little between the teams. We had at least equal possession, and had chances to take something from the game, but imo we are missing a few scoring forwards, or players who can score freely from 40 yards. There's not many names I can think of that can do that, although when you see the Sunday Game last night on TV the long distance scores were popping over from everywhere. It's really the only way to break the blanket defence, and Wexfird scored five or six from distance yesterday, and in the end that made the difference.

Heard the St Brigids game was a clinker. They didn't let themselves or the county down...and should use this experience as a platform to start fulfilling their potential at senior level.

Sportacus

The game is full of players who can't score from 40 yards because the time they spend in the gym is at the expense of time practicing skills including shooting.  I wonder how much time the current squad have spent focusing on shooting and composure, versus time doing fitness?

bannside

100% Spartacus. The same composure we needed last week in the final few minutes against Derry was missing yesterday too. Marquee forwards would lap up those chances....unfortunately they are in short supply atm.

But the effort was good again and some of our play was quite good. We're three or four players short of the type of team needed to win the two we've now lost. Conor Murray and the Healy brothers will offer a welcome boost when they return - all players who can drop a shoulder, take their man on, and pop one or two each over the bar.

Hoof Hearted

Quote from: inabsentia on January 30, 2019, 11:15:00 AM
Quote from: delgany on January 29, 2019, 05:43:57 PM
The league format was agreed last night. Championship draws next  Monday 4th feb

What was agreed on?

Did this happen last night
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Hoof Hearted on February 05, 2019, 08:55:11 AM
Quote from: inabsentia on January 30, 2019, 11:15:00 AM
Quote from: delgany on January 29, 2019, 05:43:57 PM
The league format was agreed last night. Championship draws next  Monday 4th feb

What was agreed on?

Did this happen last night

was about to ask this myself. it was supposed to be last night but it doesnt seem to have been done.
hurl like f**k boi!

Megaman

think i read somewhere that that it was put back to Monday 11th.

Not sure where i saw that or who told me or i could be just making it up lol

Na Glinntí Glasa

Quote from: Megaman on February 05, 2019, 12:48:09 PM
think i read somewhere that that it was put back to Monday 11th.

Not sure where i saw that or who told me or i could be just making it up lol

i had forgot about it competently last night and then today had to do a double check but couldn't see anything at all about it today.

is there a full list anywhere of who is entered what this year?
hurl like f**k boi!

Belfast GAA man

Naomh Eanna in for the Junior championship?? :)

Milltown Row2

Well it's two div1 teams in the final at Croker, so that should persuade the begrudgers to support St Enda's  ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea