Antrim Football Thread

Started by theskull1, November 09, 2006, 11:48:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gold

It was fantastic to see an Antrim football team playing with such abandon

No fear, scowls or head down accepting 2nd best.

We need to have respect for ourselves and each other. Other counties dont let anyone say a bad word about anything to do with their County, let alone their football or hurling teams

Slabbering and doing our own and ourselves down continues that spiral of rubbish.

"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

inabsentia

Quote from: Gold on January 22, 2019, 12:25:09 AM
It was fantastic to see an Antrim football team playing with such abandon

No fear, scowls or head down accepting 2nd best.

We need to have respect for ourselves and each other. Other counties dont let anyone say a bad word about anything to do with their County, let alone their football or hurling teams

Slabbering and doing our own and ourselves down continues that spiral of rubbish.

I think there's a difference between slabbering and pointing out that Endas looked comfortably ahead of the competition. You'd see most other matches at this stage have maybe a point or two in it. Frankly, they took their foot of the gas from my perspective and the ref maybe gave them Galway lads a few decisions they probably wouldn't have gotten elsewhere. Sure the 14 should have been off with a black card in the first half when he dragged down 3.

All in all, we can celebrate a title if it comes to it and nobody will begrudge them with other counties known for gaming the system in the same way (Kerry are the worst culprits) but when it comes down to it it's not a competition they should have been in.

Na Glinntí Glasa

i said previously before in another post the year we got to the same ulster final we got beaten by a Cavan D1 side with county players in it. It is what it is and you just deal with it.

I dont understand the constant begrudging towards St Endas on here at all. it stinks of nothing more than jealously imo.

I for one am glad to see them do so well and fingers crossed win an All Ireland. At a time when our county team cant go any farther in terms of bad results and moral we have one of our own teams in an All Ireland club final but to some its just yet another chance to moan and get digs in at the club.

hurl like f**k boi!

Belfast GAA man

any news on Casement due or where is it all at?

dec

bannside

Indeed Dec....chapter 5 of particular interest. A terrific read it must be said. MC himself "lent" me the book when our paths crossed with the county under 21s in 2005 and 2006.

On which point Ned, I will contest that the team of 06 could have matched the achievements of 69. We had players like both Mc Canns, Loughrey, Niblock, Andy Mc Clean, Paddy Cunningham, Pollock, and  more than a few other very capable players (at that time Conor Mc Goldrick and David Mc Alernon were as good as any of the above mentioned) who went on to play senior level. Those 6 above were on the field against Kerry's all Ireland winning team in 09, when we put them to the pin of their collar. I will contend till my dying day that the availability of CJ and Crozier (let's not get started on that)  would have been sufficient to get by against Tyrone who beat us by 2 points in Omagh.

We don't need reminding that Tyrone lost by a point to Mayo in extra time, and a lot of that Mayo team have contested 4 or 5 All Ireland finals.

Definitely a very possible All Ireland title where we contrived to beat ourselves off the pitch!!

inabsentia

Quote from: bannside on January 25, 2019, 12:10:28 PM
Indeed Dec....chapter 5 of particular interest. A terrific read it must be said. MC himself "lent" me the book when our paths crossed with the county under 21s in 2005 and 2006.

On which point Ned, I will contest that the team of 06 could have matched the achievements of 69. We had players like both Mc Canns, Loughrey, Niblock, Andy Mc Clean, Paddy Cunningham, Pollock, and  more than a few other very capable players (at that time Conor Mc Goldrick and David Mc Alernon were as good as any of the above mentioned) who went on to play senior level. Those 6 above were on the field against Kerry's all Ireland winning team in 09, when we put them to the pin of their collar. I will contend till my dying day that the availability of CJ and Crozier (let's not get started on that)  would have been sufficient to get by against Tyrone who beat us by 2 points in Omagh.

We don't need reminding that Tyrone lost by a point to Mayo in extra time, and a lot of that Mayo team have contested 4 or 5 All Ireland finals.

Definitely a very possible All Ireland title where we contrived to beat ourselves off the pitch!!

Not a chance. We might have taken the scalp off of Kerry in the back door, but that final against Tyrone was won by them at a canter. They'd so much take the foot off the gas than they stuck her in neutral and coasted to the end of the match.

bannside

You've picked that up incorrectly inabsentia! The All Ireland we conspired to lose was the 2006 All Ireland under 21 series. We had a terrific squad, but ended up losing 0 -13 to 0 -11 in the Ulster semi in Healy Pk, with a couple of players unavailable that in IMO would have tipped the scales in our favour.

Look we will never know for sure but Justin Crozier turned out to be a superb player ( played for Antrim seniors since he was 19) and at 18 CJ was on fire. I'm convinced with those two we would have taken Tyrones scalp and gone on to something memorable.

But it's easy to be wise in hindsight. Outside our own tight group no one else could see that potential at the time. But now, looking back, that indeed was a superb batch and at full strength it would have taken a special team to beat them.

bannside

Moving to the present tense, good luck to Lenny and everyone involved on Sunday. We couldn't have asked for a tougher opener, but let's get behind the boys and hope we can be competitive from the start.

Belfast GAA man

No Cargin and St Galls players starting tomorrow - can't imagine that's happened in recent history

Are the Cargin boys staying away for a specific reason as a group? There is a St Galls lad in the subs

tiempo

Quote from: bannside on January 25, 2019, 04:57:16 PM
You've picked that up incorrectly inabsentia! The All Ireland we conspired to lose was the 2006 All Ireland under 21 series. We had a terrific squad, but ended up losing 0 -13 to 0 -11 in the Ulster semi in Healy Pk, with a couple of players unavailable that in IMO would have tipped the scales in our favour.

Look we will never know for sure but Justin Crozier turned out to be a superb player ( played for Antrim seniors since he was 19) and at 18 CJ was on fire. I'm convinced with those two we would have taken Tyrones scalp and gone on to something memorable.

But it's easy to be wise in hindsight. Outside our own tight group no one else could see that potential at the time. But now, looking back, that indeed was a superb batch and at full strength it would have taken a special team to beat them.

Tyrone squad who beat you in Ulster semi-final, won Ulster but lost All-Ireland semi-final. And you reckon you conspired to lose the All-Ireland ;D Was at that game in Omagh, Tyrone were poor, Antrim were dort. Tyrone played in second gear.

Jonathan Curran (Coalisland), PJ Quinn (Moortown), Stephen McNulty (Clonoe), Damian Burke (Clonoe), Brendan Boggs (E. R. Uí Néill), Justin McMahon (Omagh), John Gilmore (Cookstown), Raymond Mulgrew (Cookstown), Shane O'Hagan (Clonoe), Marc Cunningham (Killeeshil), Martin McCreesh (Rock), Finbar McGill (An Charraig Mhór), Caolan Tierney (Errigal Ciaran), Colm Cavanagh (Moy), Damian McDermott (Errigal Ciaran), Daren McCann (Errigal Ciaran), Martin Murray (Cookstown), Sean O'Neill (Dromore), Cathal O'Neill (Derrytresk), Ronan McRory (Errigal Ciaran), Cathal McCarron (Dromore), Dean O'Neill (Omagh), Cathal McCarron (Omagh), Niall Kerr (Coalisland), Michael Murphy (Capt.) (Galbally)

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tiempo on January 26, 2019, 04:35:54 PM

Tyrone squad who beat you in Ulster semi-final, won Ulster but lost All-Ireland semi-final. And you reckon you conspired to lose the All-Ireland ;D Was at that game in Omagh, Tyrone were poor, Antrim were dort. Tyrone played in second gear.

Jonathan Curran (Coalisland), PJ Quinn (Moortown), Stephen McNulty (Clonoe), Damian Burke (Clonoe), Brendan Boggs (E. R. Uí Néill), Justin McMahon (Omagh), John Gilmore (Cookstown), Raymond Mulgrew (Cookstown), Shane O'Hagan (Clonoe), Marc Cunningham (Killeeshil), Martin McCreesh (Rock), Finbar McGill (An Charraig Mhór), Caolan Tierney (Errigal Ciaran), Colm Cavanagh (Moy), Damian McDermott (Errigal Ciaran), Daren McCann (Errigal Ciaran), Martin Murray (Cookstown), Sean O'Neill (Dromore), Cathal O'Neill (Derrytresk), Ronan McRory (Errigal Ciaran), Cathal McCarron (Dromore), Dean O'Neill (Omagh), Cathal McCarron (Omagh), Niall Kerr (Coalisland), Michael Murphy (Capt.) (Galbally)

As did Dublin when they played Tyrone last year..
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

tiempo

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 26, 2019, 05:02:03 PM
Quote from: tiempo on January 26, 2019, 04:35:54 PM

As did Dublin when they played Tyrone last year..

They certainly conspired to win that All-Ireland