The Many Faces of US Politics...

Started by Tyrones own, March 20, 2009, 09:29:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Obvious

Quote from: five points on July 08, 2020, 06:49:11 PM
Biden's now afraid to debate Trump apparently. No surprise to anyone who has watched him struggle to deliver even a prepared script let alone speak off the cuff. His "lead" will crumble to dust once more people see him afraid of Trump.

Let's be honest that's Trump in any debate he took part in.

Oraisteach

If I were Biden, I would probably refuse to debate Trump. With a lead, Biden has the advantage and in a debate will spend all his time struggling to correct Trump's lies and will get little chance to relay his own message. Instead, he should simply rely on tv spots.  Not an original thought, but can't recall where I read it, probably NYT.

armaghniac

You can't debate with an outright liar.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

whitey

Quote from: Oraisteach on July 09, 2020, 01:10:53 AM
If I were Biden, I would probably refuse to debate Trump. With a lead, Biden has the advantage and in a debate will spend all his time struggling to correct Trump's lies and will get little chance to relay his own message. Instead, he should simply rely on tv spots.  Not an original thought, but can't recall where I read it, probably NYT.

Joe has nothing to gain by debating Trump

Surprisingly enough, Trump did quite well against Hillary 4 years ago

I think he'd wipe the floor with Joe

Jell 0 Biafra

A   NYT opinion columnist wrote that Biden shouldn't debate Trump unless certain conditions were satisfied.

How does that translate to Biden being afraid to debate Trump?

Captain Obvious

Quote from: whitey on July 09, 2020, 02:06:32 AM
If I were Biden, I would probably refuse to debate Trump. With a lead, Biden has the advantage and in a debate will spend all his time struggling to correct Trump’s lies and will get little chance to relay his own message. Instead, he should simply rely on tv spots.  Not an original thought, but can’t recall where I read it, probably NYT.

I think he’d wipe the floor with Joe

How by saying he's not a not a puppet again, repeatedly saying wrong to anything Joe says or trying to put him off with loads of sniffing and slurring?

omochain

Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 09, 2020, 03:16:18 AM

How by saying he's not a not a puppet again, repeatedly saying wrong to anything Joe says or trying to put him off with loads of sniffing and slurring?

Yes Whitey .. Trump will triumph.. without a mask and lots of lies... Are you really serious....

whitey

Quote from: omochain on July 09, 2020, 06:28:59 AM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on July 09, 2020, 03:16:18 AM

Yes Whitey .. Trump will triumph.. without a mask and lots of lies... Are you really serious....

100 % serious. He more than held his own against a super debater in Hillary Clinton in all 3 debates 4 years ago

But in reality the debates have turned into a circus. 

Look at the break out Harris had by telling bare faced lies about Biden during the Democratic debates and got lauded for it by the media.

whitey

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on July 09, 2020, 03:11:21 AM
A   NYT opinion columnist wrote that Biden shouldn't debate Trump unless certain conditions were satisfied.

Lol.....the NYT is most likely putting out some feelers being fed to them by Bidens campaign.

Float it, see what the response is, build it into some polls, and go from there

Oldest trick in the book

HiMucker

Quote from: armaghniac on July 09, 2020, 01:23:32 AM
You can't debate with an outright liar.
"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, is like administering medicine to the dead"

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: whitey on July 09, 2020, 08:37:29 AM
But in reality the debates have turned into a circus. 

Correct. They aren't debates.

Is anything substantial about policy ever debated? As far as I see, they are merely a chance to sling as much shite at the opponent as possible and see what sticks.

I wouldn't "debate" with Trump if I were in Biden's position. He'll just lie and shout his way through what would become a debacle - he'll also not wear a mask which would undermine his own medics' advice on the coronavirus and him in the same room without a mask compromises Biden's position on that subject. If you could guarantee microphone cut outs when each person is talking, so that cutting across cannot happen, it might be worthwhile. Maybe even do it across two separate studios.
i usse an speelchekor

J70

Quote from: Jell 0 Biafra on July 09, 2020, 03:11:21 AM

It doesn't.

And Biden will stick to the script and do fine, at least to the extent that facts and not bluster and bullshit matter.

The debates, spectacle aside, have long since ceased to matter anyway, as long as you present a semi-coherent, non-insane version of yourself. Especially this year when it is solely a referendum on  Trump and his competence.

five points

Quote from: J70 on July 09, 2020, 11:43:30 AM

It doesn't.

And Biden will stick to the script and do fine, at least to the extent that facts and not bluster and bullshit matter.

The debates, spectacle aside, have long since ceased to matter anyway, as long as you present a semi-coherent, non-insane version of yourself. Especially this year when it is solely a referendum on  Trump and his competence.

There, in one word, is Biden's problem.

RedHand88

J70

Quote from: five points on July 09, 2020, 12:22:07 PM
Quote from: J70 on July 09, 2020, 11:43:30 AM

It doesn't.

There, in one word, is Biden's problem.

I would have thought it would be more Trump's actually.