Tír Eoghain vs An Cabhán Ulster Semi Replay 4pm 03/07/2016 @Clones

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, May 29, 2016, 05:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Lamh Dhearg Alba

Pretty poor stuff from Tyrone I thought. You can't be conceding 3 goals in a Championship match if you aspire to be a contender but it's particularly worrying when your style is geared towards not conceding goals. The 2nd and 3rd were really poor goals to lose as well. That was frustrating because Tyrone were in charge for long periods of that match. Cavan started well and had a strong spell in the second half when they moved ahead, but other than that I felt Tyrone were on top. When Cavan took over for that spell in the second half the game reminded me a lot of the recent matches between Tyrone and Donegal in Ulster when Donegal lifted it at a similar point in the second half and Tyrone wilted. That didn't happen today, more because Cavan aren't Donegal I suspect rather than Tyrone making great progress since, but time will tell. To be so poor from frees at this point of the season is worrying too.

I think the best hope for Tyrone is that playing more games has traditionally brought on Mickey Harte teams. They need it based on today! But they're still in the championship, no mean feat after coughing up 3 goals to a decent team, and it was the kind of performance that will calm down some of the more excitable commentators. That's no bad thing.

rrhf

Agreed, Tyrone showed today that they have a long way to go before they make claims on an all Ireland. There are some lads not quite there yet and some will struggle any ways.  but they are an honest group and today will bring them on. What's mickeys record on replays? Cavan are a strong outfit and certainly as strong as Monaghan were 3 or 4 years ago. A good tussle between 2 strong enough teams. Neither deserved to be beat.

BennyHarp

I appreciate he wasn't in the squad today due to his A level commitments, but is it time for Lee Brennan to be given his chance? For his free kicking alone?
That was never a square ball!!

SkillfulBill

Tyrone were the better team by far today 2 strange goals that you rarely see in a senior championship game and the fact that McNulty bottled it. Mcnulty's chance goes in Tyrone win the game by 6 or 7. I think morgan will be back in goals the next day and Justy at fullback. Bradley is not at the races at centre forward and I dont see him starting again this year.

Captain Obvious

Great effort by Cavan pity for all the neutrals watching the late goal wasn't a late winner. If Cavan are to lose the replay as expected they should still regroup to reach All Ireland quarter final. Tyrones biggest concern is the three goals conceded and the manner of how they were conceded.

redzone

Quote from: Captain Obvious on June 19, 2016, 08:50:26 PM
Great effort by Cavan pity for all the neutrals watching the late goal wasn't a late winner. If Cavan are to lose the replay as expected they should still regroup to reach All Ireland quarter final. Tyrones biggest concern is the three goals conceded and the manner of how they were conceded.

Were two of the goals not square balls

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

I can still see Cavan improving more in the replay, the experience from a tough championship encounter like that should stand to them more and I can't see them taking as many wrong options and kick as many wides again. If they can get an extra few minutes of dominance in each half they can do it.
Both are solid top 8 teams but neither can be a threat to Dublin. They can go far though.

imtommygunn

Cavan went twenty odd minutes in each half not scoring. They would need a big change in their attacking plan to win next day. Doubt tyrone will concede goals like that again.

Fuzzman

Mickey Harte hasn't lost many replays.
The only one I can think of was when Armagh 'beat' us in 2005 Ulster final.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Fuzzman on June 19, 2016, 09:39:54 PM
Mickey Harte hasn't lost many replays.
The only one I can think of was when Armagh 'beat' us in 2005 Ulster final.

Helped by the dismissals of Tyrone's Peter Canavan and Stephen O'Neill for nathin'!

BennyHarp

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on June 19, 2016, 09:29:08 PM
I can still see Cavan improving more in the replay, the experience from a tough championship encounter like that should stand to them more and I can't see them taking as many wrong options and kick as many wides again. If they can get an extra few minutes of dominance in each half they can do it.
Both are solid top 8 teams but neither can be a threat to Dublin. They can go far though.

I agree, I quite like Cavan and think they are a tough, tough team to play against and with a few tweaks to their attacking plan could be top drawer. Win or lose the replay I think they should make the AI quarter final and you never know from there.
That was never a square ball!!

Redhand Santa

Down beat Tyrone in a replay in 08 too but hartes record has generally been very good.

Tyrone for spells today played especially early like they thought they just needed to turn up. For other spells they looked well in control. Plenty to work on so from that point of view a replay isn't a bad game and Tyrone teams always seem to do better with a run of games.

Jinxy

Don't think you can have Givney & McKiernan in the same forward line against the top teams.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

omagh_gael

Brolly pushing the angle that we couldn't deal with the high ball into the Cavan FF line. Don't agree with this at all. How many scores did Cavan get from this approach? The second goal was a miss hit free kick that snuck in off a Cavan man swinging his boot at a deflected fisted effort. Outside of that I can't think of any other scores from a direct long ball.