Ulster Championship 2019

Started by Fuzzman, April 16, 2019, 04:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J70

Thought we did what we had to. Plenty of work for us ahead of Tyrone, but good to grind out a win like that and get McBrearty back into the swing of things.

Milltown Row2

Yeah can't fault Donegal at all, and Fermanagh using their system to stay in the game, just makes for a pissy game.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Walter Cronc

Quote from: Rudi on May 26, 2019, 03:36:55 PM
Terrible game not Donegals fault. Fermanagh are shocking.

What a statement. One of the smallest picks in the country and yet always competitive. Catch yourself on man.

Angelo

The abuse Fermanagh get is way over the top, they regularly punch above their weight and this style of play while it may not be pretty allows them to do so.

I have no issue with it, some people would rather Fermanagh just offered themselves as a punching bag for bigger counties. Hopefully they will regroup and give the qualifiers a good rattle.
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Dire Ear

Quote from: J70 on May 26, 2019, 02:28:08 PM
Shocking stuff.

Donegal need to speed things up, get a few one-twos going, get up the field quicker.

And get Jamie Brennan on the end of things. He can get the shot away in very tight quarters.
Jamie Bryson could do better than some of them !

skeog

Sean Quigley had a fourteen night stay in an hotel to get his fitness up according to the guru Mc Hugh.Then rory takes him off early.

Esmarelda

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 26, 2019, 02:44:25 PM
Would you rather they heroically attacked Donegal and got smashed by 10 + points?

Have a word with yourselves lads - sure they'll train for 6 months, have no lives for that great Sunday when they got slaughtered for the entertainment of the GAA Board.

They are doing a job here and they are making this a contest - they owe nothing.
They should be thrown down to a lesser competition so that no kid has to choose between watching them and playing his xbox.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Esmarelda on May 26, 2019, 05:22:44 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on May 26, 2019, 02:44:25 PM
Would you rather they heroically attacked Donegal and got smashed by 10 + points?

Have a word with yourselves lads - sure they'll train for 6 months, have no lives for that great Sunday when they got slaughtered for the entertainment of the GAA Board.

They are doing a job here and they are making this a contest - they owe nothing.
They should be thrown down to a lesser competition so that no kid has to choose between watching them and playing his xbox.

That's an entirely different argument  ;)

twohands!!!

Quote from: J70 on May 26, 2019, 03:44:35 PM
Thought we did what we had to. Plenty of work for us ahead of Tyrone, but good to grind out a win like that and get McBrearty back into the swing of things.

Was really suprised with the amount of breaking ball Fermanagh won around the middle of the field. I'd say that's the main area of concern.
Second area of concern is that the Donegal defence didn't exactly look all that secure against a fairly anemic looking Fermanagh attack.

FermGael

Where to begin with that.
Frustration would be the word.
Certainly an improvement on the Ulster final performance but ultimately we were still beat.
Donegal were the better team with the better forwards and that was the difference.
We started the game with what I would call 2 natural forwards. Everybody else plays there club football in midfield or defence.
Quigley had absolutely no help. He played most of the game at wing half back.
We got destroyed in midfield in the second half. Donegal took a grip after half time.
We have no plan b except to throw Tom Clarke into full forward.  Even when we did this, we refused to either kick the ball into him or when we did, have anybody there to support him.
We need Tomas and Ruairi Corrigan back playing . 
Rory had certainly improved the team defensively but we have to evolve.  We are too rigid and are stuck to the system.
We have to commit to the attack.
Though Kelm and Ciaran Corrigan were excellent today.
There were moments when we committed to the attack we did carve Donegal open but they were too few .
Qualifiers await and my gut feeling is we will get Monaghan.
Donegal were well worth there win.  Very patient on the ball and have alot of options up front. Defensively I think that Tyrone and McShane in particular will trouble them .
Michael Murphy certainly has his post playing career lined up as a referee as he told Joe exactly when to award frees and yellow cards .
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Throw ball

Quote from: Walter Cronc on May 26, 2019, 04:05:25 PM
Quote from: Rudi on May 26, 2019, 03:36:55 PM
Terrible game not Donegals fault. Fermanagh are shocking.

What a statement. One of the smallest picks in the country and yet always competitive. Catch yourself on man.

Fermanagh were competitive for a while when Pete McGrath was manager and before that when Malachy O'Rourke managed them. They didn't play the turgid stuff Gallagher has them playing.

Fuzzman

Sounds like a few other people said that about Murphy before re the ref.
He does take a lot of abuse off the ball though himself but he is always whinging at the ref.

Donegal v Tyrone will probably be another tactical hard hitting battle like most of the last few years but it will be interesting to see does Mickey play Mattie further forward to support McShane as he will no way be left one on one for this game.
His ability to catch high ball and turn and shoot has meant he has been the player of the season so far but surely Donegal will keep a sweeper in front of him now so Mattie will also need to play up beside him in my eyes.

Jayop

I don't think a sweeper would really be able to cut out a lot of the type of ball that McShane is getting. Him being directly double marked would absolutely nullify him though and if Donegal do that then you have to play Donnelly up and have him 1v1 against his man because you can't double mark both of them, or at least Donegal wont do.

I think Donegal will play some sort of sweeper and if Tyrone do leave both the above up they will attempt to play in front in the traditional sweeper manner and if the quality of ball in is the same as it has been they will be by standers.

imtommygunn

It is a good test to see where Neil McGee is as I think he is slowing and could be exposed though I am not sure mcshane will have seen the likes of mcgee's antics before so that could throw him a bit.

It has the makings of a very interesting game. I would expect Tyrone to be a bit too strong though.

Jayop

Mcshane plays club football in Tyrone so if its the evil were lead to believe I'm sure there's mot much he's not seen 😂😂