Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Truth hurts

Quote from: trailer on January 10, 2023, 02:42:11 PM
Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 10, 2023, 01:48:46 PM
Quote from: trailer on January 10, 2023, 11:37:05 AM
Lee Keegan was a great player and a fantastic defender in a Mayo side he stood out as he actually had a bit of heart as opposed to the majority of Mayo footballers. I wish him a happy retirement from Intercounty football.

The best ever? Without a doubt. Forget Tomas O'Se, Jack McCaffrey, Philip Jordan, James McCarthy, Kieran McGeeney or even Seamus Moynihan (I know wayyyy back) Keegan is unrivalled. The greatest. He stands alone. He has no equals.

The GOAT.
. He could stand in that pack of names no problem and wouldn't look out of place. So why the big hissy fit ffs?

Every time a player retires someone on this board declares them the greatest ever. All I am asking is for a small bit of perspective. Just take it easy. We don't have to declare every retiree the greatest.

Lee Keegan will be mentioned in the same breath as Tomas O'Se, Jack McCaffrey, Philip Jordan, James McCarthy, Kieran McGeeney or even Seamus Moynihan .

He was as good and if not better than the above.

David McKeown

Quote from: seafoid on January 09, 2023, 08:56:41 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on January 09, 2023, 08:44:09 PM
A fantastic player and one of the best half backs of my life time. Without detracting from him has anyone else ever lost more All Ireland finals than him without winning one. 6 final losses I was reading there.
I think David Brady lost 8 all Ireland finals - 4 senior, 1 club and 3 underage

Sorry 6 senior inter county all Ireland finals. Also drew one. Has anyone else played in or lost more without winning one
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Truth hurts on January 10, 2023, 04:43:05 PM
Lee Keegan was a great player and a fantastic defender in a Mayo side he stood out as he actually had a bit of heart as opposed to the majority of Mayo footballers. I wish him a happy retirement from Intercounty football.

The best ever? Without a doubt. Forget Tomas O'Se, Jack McCaffrey, Philip Jordan, James McCarthy, Kieran McGeeney or even Seamus Moynihan (I know wayyyy back) Keegan is unrivalled. The greatest. He stands alone. He has no equals.

The GOAT.
. He could stand in that pack of names no problem and wouldn't look out of place. So why the big hissy fit ffs?

Every time a player retires someone on this board declares them the greatest ever. All I am asking is for a small bit of perspective. Just take it easy. We don't have to declare every retiree the greatest.

Lee Keegan will be mentioned in the same breath as Tomas O'Se, Jack McCaffrey, Philip Jordan, James McCarthy, Kieran McGeeney or even Seamus Moynihan .

He was as good and if not better than the above.
Miles ahead of McGeeney and Jordan anyway, better than O'Sé as well.
Only Moynihan and McCarthy in the same conversation.

ck

Had the pleasure of meeting Lee through work and he's a gem of a lad. A true great for Mayo.
I thought he's give it another year with the new Management but good luck to him

seafoid

If Horan had stayed on he might have done another year but it's a new cycle and he would have had to commit for longer.

Gael85

Quote from: David McKeown on January 10, 2023, 04:44:52 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 09, 2023, 08:56:41 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on January 09, 2023, 08:44:09 PM
A fantastic player and one of the best half backs of my life time. Without detracting from him has anyone else ever lost more All Ireland finals than him without winning one. 6 final losses I was reading there.
I think David Brady lost 8 all Ireland finals - 4 senior, 1 club and 3 underage

Sorry 6 senior inter county all Ireland finals. Also drew one. Has anyone else played in or lost more without winning one

Think Alan Dillob lost 9 AI finals. 6 senior 1 u21 2 minor.

Gael85

All the best in retirement to Lee Keegan. A super player. Had some scoring record for a defender. Scored 7-49(70) in 67 Championship games.

ck

Quote from: Gael85 on January 10, 2023, 09:22:03 PM
All the best in retirement to Lee Keegan. A super player. Had some scoring record for a defender. Scored 7-49(70) in 67 Championship games.

That's an unreal score tally for a defender.

trueblue1234

The GOAT.

No they don't. But regardless, Lee Keenan could rightfully be mentioned in that discussion as could Murphy. So giving out about them being mentioned at that level smacks of just trying to be contrary for the sake of it. 
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Halfquarter

David Moran has retired.
His display in Limerick in 14 v Mayo was awsome.

trailer

Quote from: Halfquarter on January 23, 2023, 12:51:41 PM
David Moran has retired.

Unreal player. Possibly the greatest Midfielder ever. Unrivalled. He has no equals.

The GOAT.

Armagh18

Quote from: trailer on January 23, 2023, 12:55:34 PM
David Moran has retired.

Unreal player. Possibly the greatest Midfielder ever. Unrivalled. He has no equals.

The GOAT.
;D :D :D :D

Armagh18

David Moran has retired.
A pity and a big miss. Would have thought there was another year or two in him

oakleaflad

David Moran has retired.
Rare thing to say about a Kerry player but I almost think he was underrated. Brilliant player.

Tatler Jack

Quote from: oakleaflad on January 23, 2023, 02:10:30 PM
David Moran has retired.
Rare thing to say about a Kerry player but I almost think he was underrated. Brilliant player.

👍 Fully agree.