Retirements

Started by Maroon Manc, July 09, 2018, 01:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Never beat the deeler

Quote from: Cunny Funt on September 10, 2019, 12:14:03 AM
Played his best football for Mayo the first time Horan was manager, one of those players that didn't seem to ever full recovery from they injuries he got. Didn't he play corner back instead of full back the year he won his All-Star?

No, he was full back all year in 2012
Hasta la victoria siempre

Farrandeelin

I've been critical of Ger's performances in the past, but he donned the jersey and did more than I ever did. Best of luck. Who'll be next to go?
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Blowitupref

Quote from: Farrandeelin on September 10, 2019, 01:29:42 PM
I've been critical of Ger's performances in the past, but he donned the jersey and did more than I ever did. Best of luck. Who'll be next to go?

I'll be surprised if Keith Higgins and David Clarke stay on for another year.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

moysider

Caff wouldn't have quit if he thought he could get fit enough.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Never beat the deeler on September 09, 2019, 09:47:11 PM
Ger Caff just called it a day.

He had  a tough job In a mayo team that played a high line meaning forwards often received the ball in an ocean of space but his timing in the tackle was gifted.
I felt his most natural position would have been corner back. I don't think he had the physical aggression/dirt to be an effective full back, especially when he was left isolated so often.
Good luck to him in his retirement. He always gave 100%.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

oliverkelly

Poor Ger was a scapegoat over on the Mayo Gaa blog anytime he played and Mayo lost in recent years.

moysider

Quote from: oliverkelly on September 10, 2019, 03:53:06 PM
Poor Ger was a scapegoat over on the Mayo Gaa blog anytime he played and Mayo loast in recent years.

Imagine the abuse he would have got if it was him marking Con O Callaghan a few weeks ago.

Blowitupref

Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

tonto1888

Charlie Vernon calls it a day with armagh

gallsman

Charlie Vernon we the physical prototype for modern footballers. I remember his quads having quads when he was about 18/19.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: gallsman on October 14, 2019, 08:41:42 PM
Charlie Vernon we the physical prototype for modern footballers. I remember his quads having quads when he was about 18/19.

Always thought he was wasted in Full Back for Armagh, a great player. Great lad too.

tonto1888

Bernard Brogan has called it a day with Dublin

joemamas

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 24, 2019, 01:08:47 PM

A very good player, wish him well.

Btw will avoid all irish media for the next few days due to the impending OTT lovefest .

Would it be fair to say that a lot of these Dublin/former Dublin players have P.R managers in order to stay relevant even after they retire.

seafoid

Quote from: tonto1888 on October 24, 2019, 01:08:47 PM
7 all Irelands. This was decided by a committee
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dinny Breen

A very good player but not a great player. Has maximised his profile off the pitch, he won't be going away for a while. Thursday morning must be the optimal time to get exposure.
#newbridgeornowhere