Mayo v Galway, MacHale Park, Sunday 13th May 4pm

Started by From the Bunker, April 01, 2018, 08:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maroon Manc

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 16, 2018, 08:14:30 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 16, 2018, 06:12:33 PM
Does the blood sub loophole really need tightening up?

Why should Galway as in Sunday's example be punished by using one of their subs through no fault of their own? In most cases a blood sub will only last a few minutes but in the rare instance it doesn't there's a high % chance its because the player is leaving the field due to something their opponent did.

Would Conroy's bleeding not have stopped after 5-10 minutes? The reason he couldn't come back on was because of concussion

Thats why I have no issue with the rule, if Conroy had been able to come back on he would have done.

I'm still confused on the rule, if Cooke had stayed on for the whole match would he be counted as the 6th sub which would have left Galway unable to replace Comer for example if he'd got the black card instead of Cooke?

magpie seanie

Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 17, 2018, 08:37:59 AM
Quote from: moysider on May 16, 2018, 11:05:35 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 16, 2018, 12:52:24 PM
Do any of Mayo posters think Rochford got his tactics wrong in the 2nd half with everyone retreating back to their own half given the wind?

Not for me. 14 players was bigger than wind for me. I was hoping to get to xtra time and bring it back to 15 v 15. Almost got there too.

True. I don't think it was a free out either in the run up that led to the Galway goal. Thought Cillian was entitled to go for the ball.

Pity he didn't and just ran into his opponent instead.

Seriously? It was a clear foul.

macdanger2

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 17, 2018, 10:13:02 AM

Why should Galway as in Sunday's example be punished by using one of their subs through no fault of their own? In most cases a blood sub will only last a few minutes but in the rare instance it doesn't there's a high % chance its because the player is leaving the field due to something their opponent did.

Would Conroy's bleeding not have stopped after 5-10 minutes? The reason he couldn't come back on was because of concussion

Thats why I have no issue with the rule, if Conroy had been able to come back on he would have done.

I'm still confused on the rule, if Cooke had stayed on for the whole match would he be counted as the 6th sub which would have left Galway unable to replace Comer for example if he'd got the black card instead of Cooke?

But the reason Conroy wasn't able to come back on was because he was injured rather than for blood reasons, therefore I think it should be deemed a sub after a given period of time. I accept though that you may get into player welfare issues where a team don't want to use a sub or go down to 14 so they just stick the player back on - generally though, bleeding injuries tend to be cuts or scratches rather than anything serious although in Conroy's case if he had concussion also, it would have been dangerous putting him back on.

As far as I'm aware, the fact that it was Cooke who got the black didn't make any difference; any other player could have been replaced in the same manner.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: magpie seanie on May 17, 2018, 10:40:08 AM
Quote from: Farrandeelin on May 17, 2018, 08:37:59 AM
Do any of Mayo posters think Rochford got his tactics wrong in the 2nd half with everyone retreating back to their own half given the wind?

Not for me. 14 players was bigger than wind for me. I was hoping to get to xtra time and bring it back to 15 v 15. Almost got there too.

True. I don't think it was a free out either in the run up that led to the Galway goal. Thought Cillian was entitled to go for the ball.

Pity he didn't and just ran into his opponent instead.

Seriously? It was a clear foul.
It's a sickener alright but I have to agree with you.
There was damn all attempt to play the ball.
Dunno what's coming over the O'Connor brothers but at the way they are going at present, I'm very afraid that referees in future games will keep an extra sharp eye on the pair of them. They'll be marked men and will need to be careful.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: macdanger2 on May 17, 2018, 11:04:32 AM

But the reason Conroy wasn't able to come back on was because he was injured rather than for blood reasons, therefore I think it should be deemed a sub after a given period of time. I accept though that you may get into player welfare issues where a team don't want to use a sub or go down to 14 so they just stick the player back on - generally though, bleeding injuries tend to be cuts or scratches rather than anything serious although in Conroy's case if he had concussion also, it would have been dangerous putting him back on.

As far as I'm aware, the fact that it was Cooke who got the black didn't make any difference; any other player could have been replaced in the same manner.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/galway-did-not-breach-rules-on-substitutes-in-mayo-win-470783.html

Article by John Fogarty in the examiner around this issue.
It is clearly a rule that is open to exploitation and this has been done by several counties, including Mayo, since it's introduction.

macdanger2

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 17, 2018, 11:37:22 AM
Quote from: macdanger2 on May 17, 2018, 11:04:32 AM

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/galway-did-not-breach-rules-on-substitutes-in-mayo-win-470783.html

Article by John Fogarty in the examiner around this issue.
It is clearly a rule that is open to exploitation and this has been done by several counties, including Mayo, since it's introduction.

Oh yeah, it's not specific to this incident in this game, it's a broader thing that should be looked at imo.

Maroon Manc

https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/dr-ed-coughlan-are-mayo-responsible-for-their-own-downfall-470748.html

Crikey, don't recall hearing too much about him previously.

Is it harsh to suggest he hasn't a clue what he's on about when it comes to footballing matters?

Tubberman

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 17, 2018, 01:20:21 PM
https://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/gaa/dr-ed-coughlan-are-mayo-responsible-for-their-own-downfall-470748.html

Is it harsh to suggest he hasn't a clue what he's on about when it comes to footballing matters?

He was fitness coach under Horan.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

seafoid

Quote from: Tubberman on May 17, 2018, 01:52:36 PM

It looks like a hatchet job
What is Rochford supposed to do about DOC lashing out like that ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

macdanger2

There's a couple of valid points in the article (particularly about AOS's lack of scoring threat) but he talks about the lack of prepping for Donaghy in the 2014 replay as if he was a bystander when according to the article, he was part of the backroom team ffs!!

Don't know what his point about DOC is tbh. Seems like he's used a lot of words to say very little

Cunny Funt

Poor planning and preparation is holding the Mayo players back says the former fitness coach!

Surely a well paid management team of Rochford,Buckley and McEntee had their team and players well prepared?

Jinxy

I wouldn't pay too much attention to any fella with a PhD that insists on being referred to as 'Dr'.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

magpie seanie

Quote from: Jinxy on May 17, 2018, 02:52:17 PM

I wouldn't pay too much attention to any fella with a PhD that insists on being referred to as 'Dr'.

WTF?

Captain Obvious

A little over a month ago the dubs managed to beat Galway with 14 men when tied at 0-11 each and they were against the wind also. Saying that Dublin are a tad better than Mayo and have a more astute management team.

seafoid

Quote from: Jinxy on May 17, 2018, 02:52:17 PM

Unbelievable arrogance, Jeff
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU