Dublin v Kerry All Ireland Final 2019

Started by Hereiam, August 12, 2019, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

Quote from: easytiger95 on August 28, 2019, 12:16:36 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 28, 2019, 11:42:41 AM
Dara O Se

"Dublin's bench is so strong, Bernard Brogan and Eoghan O'Gara probably won't make the 26."

You can't talk about the match without talking about why those 2 probably won't make the 26

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0622/1056894-gaa-see-dublin-as-blueprint-for-future-not-the-problem/
"Costello rejects the suggestion Dublin no longer need financial support from Croke Park.
"We have huge challenges in Dublin. We have developing areas that we have no presence in: there are areas like Cherrywood, Hollystown and Adamstown."
"Dublin's dominance within Leinster has seen winning margins skyrocket as final attendances have halved in a decade, but Leinster Council CEO Michael Reynolds does not entertain the idea that the provincial championships are a lost cause.
"The Leinster Championship is quite vibrant outside the Dublin scenario. During the summer, you have some very good matches - the same in the other provinces," said Reynolds."

If it is a hammering and they do the ritual humiliation handpass routine to Kerry in Croke Park maybe the debate will open up.

Because Berno is 35 and because Eoghan is 33 and has never nailed down a starting place and is inconsistent at the best of times - a great servant but he can shoot the lights out one day and the next have a nightmare. Con O'Callaghan has developed this year as a really physical full forward option and he has a lot more football in him then Eoghan (all due respect to him and the vital contributions he made over the years).
Wasn't Andy Moran 35 in the semifinal?
How come there are so many young nippers available to Dublin ?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

1.4 m people, 39,000 Registered GAA players.
Some of them are bound to be between 18 and 22 ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

easytiger95

Quote from: seafoid on August 28, 2019, 12:36:14 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on August 28, 2019, 12:16:36 PM
Quote from: seafoid on August 28, 2019, 11:42:41 AM
Dara O Se

"Dublin's bench is so strong, Bernard Brogan and Eoghan O'Gara probably won't make the 26."

You can't talk about the match without talking about why those 2 probably won't make the 26

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0622/1056894-gaa-see-dublin-as-blueprint-for-future-not-the-problem/
"Costello rejects the suggestion Dublin no longer need financial support from Croke Park.
"We have huge challenges in Dublin. We have developing areas that we have no presence in: there are areas like Cherrywood, Hollystown and Adamstown."
"Dublin's dominance within Leinster has seen winning margins skyrocket as final attendances have halved in a decade, but Leinster Council CEO Michael Reynolds does not entertain the idea that the provincial championships are a lost cause.
"The Leinster Championship is quite vibrant outside the Dublin scenario. During the summer, you have some very good matches - the same in the other provinces," said Reynolds."

If it is a hammering and they do the ritual humiliation handpass routine to Kerry in Croke Park maybe the debate will open up.

Because Berno is 35 and because Eoghan is 33 and has never nailed down a starting place and is inconsistent at the best of times - a great servant but he can shoot the lights out one day and the next have a nightmare. Con O'Callaghan has developed this year as a really physical full forward option and he has a lot more football in him then Eoghan (all due respect to him and the vital contributions he made over the years).
Wasn't Andy Moran 35 in the semifinal?
How come there are so many young nippers available to Dublin ?

Seafoid, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. Andy Moran was a sub in the semi final, my info was that Berno was going to be a sub, but was injured at the end of the Tyrone game (mentioned by others on the board as well). O'Gara has been on and off match day panels throughput  his (long) career. Berno has been rehabbing a really bad injury, which is difficult to do at his age. For him to be in contention even is a tribute to his determination. But don't mention that, it doesn't conform to your narrative.

As I said before, there are plenty of threads for you to expound your views, and plenty of people who disagree with your analysis (which is allowed). Go have the argument there.

Zulu

Exactly Easytiger95. This is the All Ireland final match thread, there are other threads for those who want to post the same thing they've posted about Dublin's finances 1000 times before. There's a legitimate discuss to be had about GAA financing of Dublin but there's a thread for that so if that interests you post there. If you want to talk about the actual match post here, surely that's a reasonable request? There could be a very good game on Sunday and Dublin are facing a county that hasn't hang ups about anyone and forwards who can post the kind of score to trouble Dublin.

imtommygunn

Who will mark David Clifford on the Dubs side? I would maybe expect Fitzsimmons on Geaney? I would have thought McMahon probably as good as any to mark him but would be harsh on Byrne to be dropped.

Zulu

I don't see Byrne being dropped but the match ups will be fascinating. There's more focus on what Kerry will do but Dublin have their headaches too and I don't think they've anyone who matches up particularly well with Clifford. 

imtommygunn

No I was thinking that but then sweeping that ball up is maybe what they will go for. I can't see anyone remotely capable of marking Mannion or O'Callaghan in the Kerry side mind you.

Zulu

True, that's one of the reasons I'm really looking forward to this as I think it could be a real shootout. If Kerry fall too far behind it could be a washout but as long as they can stay in touch or get in front it could be a game for the ages. Geaney will take watching and Clifford (bar injury) will surely be in future discussions of the best ever. I don't see Kerry's youth being a disadvantaged as Kerry lads are raised on playing All Ireland finals so if they're good enough, which I think they are, they'll be ready on Sunday.

I don't see either team play a permanent sweeper but will have players dropping back to have a sweeper when they get turned over. I suspect Kerry, like Mayo, will attempt to play keep ball and be patient in attack as you don't want to get turned over by Dublin when your full backs are exposed.

I also think Kerry, like other top teams, will have been planning for Dublin from the start of the year and may have been able to roll out some well thought out plans in the last 3 weeks. Everybody expected to see Dublin here and a few teams would have hoped to be here so I think we'll see a few things that Dublin haven't seen before.

seafoid

One open question is whether or not the 5 in a row will put any pressure on the Dublin team . Kilkenny couldn't overcome it in 2010
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

imtommygunn

Quote from: Zulu on August 28, 2019, 03:21:20 PM
True, that's one of the reasons I'm really looking forward to this as I think it could be a real shootout. If Kerry fall too far behind it could be a washout but as long as they can stay in touch or get in front it could be a game for the ages. Geaney will take watching and Clifford (bar injury) will surely be in future discussions of the best ever. I don't see Kerry's youth being a disadvantaged as Kerry lads are raised on playing All Ireland finals so if they're good enough, which I think they are, they'll be ready on Sunday.

I don't see either team play a permanent sweeper but will have players dropping back to have a sweeper when they get turned over. I suspect Kerry, like Mayo, will attempt to play keep ball and be patient in attack as you don't want to get turned over by Dublin when your full backs are exposed.

I also think Kerry, like other top teams, will have been planning for Dublin from the start of the year and may have been able to roll out some well thought out plans in the last 3 weeks. Everybody expected to see Dublin here and a few teams would have hoped to be here so I think we'll see a few things that Dublin haven't seen before.

i think your planning point might hold if they had the defenders for it but they are just very short in defense at the minute. On that front it will also be interesting as to whether Dublin deploy a sweeper. (They can be quite defensive but be interesting what role O'Sullivan plays).

Kerry have "tradition" so will have more belief than anyone that they can take Dublin on but I just think they are a 5-10 point worse team than them. However I also think it is unproven what they are like at this level so could be proven wrong.

It is probably the most interesting final there could be IMO and I know that people are saying it isn't but being from antrim I am always (kind of) neutral and to me Kerry are the only team who have an outside chance of giving Dublin a game.

easytiger95

I don't think Cian starts unless MDMA loses his place and McCarthy is pushed to midfield. Unlikely that Gavin will make changes in the defence - if people go well for him they tend to stay in. Davey Byrne looks to have reinvented himself this year, and I'd say Mick Fitzsimons is the one under pressure of that back line - but I think he will still start.

I think the sweeper position for Dublin will really depend on who starts and where for Kerry - if Geaney and Clifford stay in close, expect Byrne and Fitzsimons to take them and Jonny to be a spare man, getting on breaks and keeping an eye for O'Brien and Shea breaking in from half forward. If they have a 3 man full forward line, that is when I'd expect to see Cian to get on early - he's terrific (when fit) at providing cover from the half back position - just has a great positional sense, and that could put pressure on Kerry getting ball into their forward line.

I expect the first half to be cagey before it gradually opens up in the second half (in which case Dubs win due to being further down the road conditioning wise). If Kerry though go ahead early and stay ahead into half time, then some doubts could start creeping into Dublin minds. Really can't wait now.

imtommygunn

I thought Byrne wasn't strong enough physically until I saw him knock Aidan O'Se off the ball in the last game. Yeah I would expect Dublin to remain as is.

The matchups on both ends will be very interesting. I do think Kerry have to go more defensive here or Mannion / O"Callaghan will murder them particularly the latter.

tonto1888

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on August 28, 2019, 10:30:42 AM
Quote from: TheGreatest on August 28, 2019, 10:12:27 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on August 27, 2019, 09:13:10 PM
Quote from: dublin7 on August 27, 2019, 07:57:31 PM
I would say Dublin fans are more nervous this year than last year. Tyrone don't offer any threat to Dublin and that game was over at half time. No one I know believed they had a chance

Kerry have a punchers chance with their forwards and their ability to get goal. That's what makes it nervous for me. Like I said earlier a good start for Kerry can really set up the game for them, especially if Dublin have to push on and chase the game at any stage.

I do wonder do the Dublin posters really believe what they are saying. Dublin should be 5 to 10 points better here. I'd love to see a tight game so hope I am wrong but can't see it. Yes Dublin a bit weaker in fb line than they have been but the Kerry defense is very poor and possibly the weakest in quite a few years in a final.

All you have to do is look at the finals the this decade, all very tight games. Something goes wrong early, early goals, red card, finals are always different.

I said it at the outset of this debate, the bookie's odds are ridiculous. This is a 50/50 match.

It isn't 50-50 at all. It will be a lot closer than people think. Kerry will give you a lot of problems  but it's not 50-50