Donegal v Tyrone, Sunday Aug 5, Ballybofey

Started by Ball Hopper, July 21, 2018, 11:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trileacman

Quote from: hardstation on August 05, 2018, 11:14:59 PM
Quote from: Carmen Stateside on August 05, 2018, 11:10:39 PM
Quote from: Estimator on August 05, 2018, 10:50:47 PM
It looked like Morgan give the nod to McNamee for the quick kick out. Had McNamee attacked the ball he would've got there before McHugh. McHugh started a couple of yards behind, and still got out in front to get a hand in.

It was a reallystupid decision from Morgan.  He was seeing everything in front of him, nothing to do with defender who can't see whats going on behind him. How people try to balance the blame is unreal!
How is it not? He should not be waiting on that ball. I actually think he backed a couple of inches away from it. The pass was on, the receiver just needed to be sharper.

His marker was under six foot away, he didn't hit a short kick out all day to a man with a marker that close so why he chose to do it to literally the last line of defence is puzzling. Yes Hampsey waits on it but more so it's on Morgan who sees the proximity of all the players on the pitch as opposed to Hampsey who can't know how close his man is.

Morgan shoulders more of the blame. Added to that he leaves the kickout  short. Hampsey is retreating so he can collect the ball at chest height. Had he advanced on the ball he would had to collect it as it bounced on his toes, not an easy ball to gather safely. Had Morgan  put power behind that kick it wold have reached Hampsey sooner, he wouldn't have had to retreat to gather it and Mc Hugh wouldn't have nipped in.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

trileacman

Quote from: David McKeown on August 05, 2018, 11:40:14 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 05, 2018, 11:09:38 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on August 05, 2018, 11:09:01 PM
Quote from: hardstation on August 05, 2018, 10:34:37 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on August 05, 2018, 05:09:36 PM
Was the goal not square ball?
Definitely not.

Looked it on the replay but hard enough to tell from the camera angles
No, it's not. He's clearly not in the square when the ball is hand passed.

Well I think we will agree to disagree on whether it's clear. To me he looked inside but it's far from conclusive on replay

On the replay he can clearly been seen to stop his run at a the line and dawdle there for a few seconds so I'd be fairly confident he was okay.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

David McKeown

Quote from: hardstation on August 05, 2018, 11:51:50 PM
Quote from: trileacman on August 05, 2018, 11:45:40 PM
Definitely not.

Well I think we will agree to disagree on whether it's clear. To me he looked inside but it's far from conclusive on replay

On the replay he can clearly been seen to stop his run at a the line and dawdle there for a few seconds so I'd be fairly confident he was okay.
He's well outside.
https://mobile.twitter.com/officialgaa/status/1026137080232124416

No idea how you say that's well outside looks inside to me.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

J70

Definitely not.

He's well outside.

Didn't realize we were still winning as late as the 62nd minute. Some finish to the game from Tyrone.

cjx

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on August 05, 2018, 11:10:39 PM
Quote from: Estimator on August 05, 2018, 10:50:47 PM
It looked like Morgan give the nod to McNamee for the quick kick out. Had McNamee attacked the ball he would've got there before McHugh. McHugh started a couple of yards behind, and still got out in front to get a hand in.

It was a reallystupid decision from Morgan.  He was seeing everything in front of him, nothing to do with defender who can't see whats going on behind him. How people try to balance the blame is unreal!  The reason he improved in the second half was because he was told to kick the ball long over the press and not to be fecking about round his own 21

Morgan has flaky moments and this was primarily his fault To try such a kickout on the cusp of halftime is like having a brain storm but I was realy glad he got the late long free as Spillane said Morgan did not crack unlike that miserable day in 2013
I think Hampsay is still a better fullback than midfielder and best played there given how well COnal McCann played and McClure when they came on (Also Hampsay missed 4-5 Dublin runs in earlier match for instance letting Philly McMahon wander past him to get an easy point)
Great to see Mattie Donnelly put in a full productive wholehearted shift best of Championship by far for him and I still believe we should get a full game out of Lee Brennan even though he is clearly going to do better against tired defenders McAlliskey is a bit of a shaper,  has been very inconsistent and he might do better as an impact sub now We need a free taker missed 3-4 easy ones today.

Main Street

i was fortunate that I only watched a recording of the game and could speed through that turgid retro ulster grind of a first half. The 2nd half was good for a lively Tyrone when Donegal all of a sudden ran out of gas and made stupid decision after stupid decision in the 5 or so  minutes that Tyrone took to score 3 or 4 points. Tyrone's overall fitness levels were vastly superior to Donegal's poor standard. on the day.

RedHand88

Quote from: David McKeown on August 05, 2018, 11:54:58 PM
Definitely not.

He's well outside.

No idea how you say that's well outside looks inside to me.

Are people in the windup here saying that's a close one? He's miles out!

RedHand88

Quote from: hardstation on August 06, 2018, 12:17:38 AM
If replacing forwards, McShane & R Donnelly need to be the first roaded. Don't see what they're offering at all.

Harsh. Both didn't have great days today but have been generally fantastic all year. Don't forget we wouldn't even be here only for mcshanes monster point against meath. Donnelly has made the 14 jersey his own.

That's the fickle nature of sport though. Everybody only remembers your last game

Baile an tuaigh

Tyrone need to start Lee Brennan the next day. (unless hes not fit for 70 minutes). Could be answer to free taking problems. Loved when he came on today, that he was bold enough to offer to take the first free chance that came his way. Nice  to see players with so much confidence in their own abilities. Also has a great ability to skin lads and how he steadies himself before pulling the trigger. A really class act.

Colm Cavanagh will throw his head in where you wouldn't throw your hat. That's the kind of boys you need to get over the line. Was he man of the match? Mattie Donnelly another warrior had a fine game along with Tiernan McCann. Their with others including Peter Harte who in position the ball is like glued to him. Rarely gets dispossessed. Another fantastic talent.

Tyrone are getting better and better as the injured are coming back. It gives Mickey a load of new options. The Monaghan game will be an absolute belter.

Fear ón Srath Bán

I don't think  the final score flattered our relative prowess overall, though I must pay compliments to the general Donegal graciousness in defeat. GRMA a chairde.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

moysider

Donegal blew up badly last quarter. Looked really good for most of it and imo look like a team that could win an AI before Murphy finishes. They would also need McGee, McGrath, McLoone and McGlynn to soldier on. A few callow turn-overs cost them big time. Mostly from younger lads that will learn.

Tyrone finished like a train. I'm a bit iffy about them though. A lot of their starting forwards were not that good. So what happens the next day? Start them again or start the likes of Brennan who was brilliant?

Baile an tuaigh

Can't afford not to start Lee Brennan hes just too good. Like could you imagine Kerry not starting David Clifford or Donegal not starting Michael Murphy.

omaghjoe

Haven't  seen anyone mention the 12 feckin minutes injury time

Also McKernan's black card was for nothing, he gave in to the baying from the crowd

Im not sure if Lee should be starting, obviously it would be nice for the frees but is he 70min fit... prob not. 

Fuzzman

Anyone know where I can watch the Sunday game again from last night or the full game in YouTube or anywhere.
Do Rte put the whole game on the player?
Great win and 1973 was a great year.  ;)

Fuzzman

Quote from: yellowcard on August 05, 2018, 04:52:35 PM
I wonder will Micky Harte retire after this match
I wonder.
Just reading backwards through these posts yesterday and it's gas the overall theme is so negative and grumpy old man syndrome. Never happy with anything.
Granted a lot of the posts are from "neutrals" or fans who couldn't get to the match for one reason or another but the whinging and giving out so reminds me of listening to aul lads in their 70s constantly giving out about the modern way things are done and how it was so different in their day.
I'm not that shocked at the Derry wans or other counties who have been shite for years but the older Armagh fans should remember what it's like when you're in the white heat of a highly competitive match where winner takes all.
Remember Tyrone hadn't won here for 45 years.
Yet again at stages they appeared to have to deal with a very challenging and inconsistent referee and then they gave away a very soft goal after losing a talented defender for an inoccuous tackle. That's a lot of shit to overcome in a very hostile environment so as you sit in your comfy sofa, having not been at an actual live game for years perhaps, maybe you should try to think back what the passion and mood was like in such circumstances when this was do or die.

Having watched it in O'Neills in Oxford yesterday, my 4 kids said to be after the game, we've never seen shouting at the TV so much before dad. The youngest still supports Tyrone (not Dublin yet) and we were all getting high fives and hugs all around the pub. The kids all loved the passion and excitement and my eldest said, you don't get that at boring Dubs games dad.
I would love it to be a Tyrone v Dublin final just for the craic in our house and the banter with MDMA their cousin.