Ulster Club IFC/JFC 2023

Started by DownFanatic, September 19, 2023, 12:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

onefineday

Quote from: grounded on November 11, 2023, 07:56:30 PM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 11, 2023, 07:45:27 PMHow it a big upset with 3 county men, game was seen as very close going into it. Don't know what paper u read, Big upset not!!

Irish news mostly!
     Pomeroy 4/5 odds on favourites for the game and favourites for the title.
    Its an upset ok.
Great result for them.
4/5 for the home team means they're essentially even.
These were the two teams at the top of the betting, if it had been in the athletic grounds, cullyhanna would probably have been favs. Slight upset at best.

rodney trotter

Quote from: JoG2 on November 11, 2023, 10:36:23 AM
Quote from: onefineday on November 11, 2023, 07:47:05 AM
Quote from: DownFanatic on November 08, 2023, 11:02:19 AMWhen you strip it all back, the All Ireland Intermediate and Junior competitions aren't really fit for purpose. The sentiment at the time of their creation was in the right spirit. But when you look at it, both competitions operate on a skewed playing field. There are huge disparities in how counties run their internal competitions.
Disagree entirely, these are excellent competitions that give a whole raft of players and clubs chances of provincial glory and maybe even the chance of bringing the parish to Croker.
Whilst of course it's virtually impossible to align grades across counties, that's simply a function of the county populations. How could the 20th best team in Leitrim be expected to compete with Galway's 20th best team for example (I don't think Leitrim have 20 teams!).
For a junior or intermediate club, win your own county, enjoy it and then if you think you've a chance, have a crack at going further - but it's bonus territory.
As some have said arva might be strong for junior, but it looks like they're well off senior, so this is their chance to give the club a day out and go on a run that might be remembered for decades.

Most county junior champs have pretty much zero chance though, that's the problem. You manage to prevail in Ulster, the likelihood is you'll either face a Kerry Div 1 team in the semi or final
Regardless of how certain Cavan men in here try to paint this, Arva with a plethora of county men plying their trade in Div 1 and competing in Junior is unfair in the extreme (both in the Cavan junior championship and Ulster)

Cavan restructured the Intermediate and Junior championship 2 years ago because there was too many teams in Senior. 3 teams went down to Junior. Arva had players in Australia and some injured and were one of the teams relegated to Junior. League and Championship is separate in Cavan , like it is in lots of counties outside Ulster.

What's also not Fair is Glenullin winning Derry intermediate last year and this year and still being allowed compete in Ulster. What is the point of that

WT4E

Quote from: clarshack on November 11, 2023, 06:30:26 PM
Quote from: smort on November 11, 2023, 06:26:05 PMWas there to be extra time? Feel like there should have been time left there for Pomeroy to get a shot off

Was the ref told to make sure it wasn't a draw with RTÉ in town for the next gameg

Thought there could have been another 20 seconds or so possibly.

Looked strange to me. I didn't see the board as missed a bit at that time but commentator paddy hunter kept saying there was a min still to go.

If he thought time was up why did he not blow it on the kick out. Instead he let Pomeroy win kick out and advance to 45 and blew it. Strange

skeog

Pomeroy kicked some poor wides in second half that was the reason they lost not the ref.

grounded

Quote from: onefineday on November 12, 2023, 12:41:09 AM
Quote from: Wildweasel74 on November 11, 2023, 07:45:27 PMHow it a big upset with 3 county men, game was seen as very close going into it. Don't know what paper u read, Big upset not!!

Irish news mostly!
    Its an upset ok.
Great result for them.

How does that work when Cullyhanna were 11/8 in a 2 horse race? We all knew the game was drawn for Omagh, and the bookies will have factored that into their odds along with the possibility of a draw.

Anyway i thought it was a fair upset.  And once again great result for Cullyhanna.

general_lee

Quote from: grounded on November 12, 2023, 12:10:40 PM

Irish news mostly!
    Its an upset ok.
Great result for them.

How does that work when Cullyhanna were 11/8 in a 2 horse race? We all knew the game was drawn for Omagh, and the bookies will have factored that into their odds along with the possibility of a draw.

Anyway i thought it was a fair upset.  And once again great result for Cullyhanna.

I don't think anyone other than you is actually shocked. I had fancied Pomeroy by a point or two but there was never going to be much in it. Who do Cullyhanna play next?

Walt Jabsco

Quote from: general_lee on November 12, 2023, 12:23:37 PM
Quote from: grounded on November 12, 2023, 12:10:40 PM

Irish news mostly!
    Its an upset ok.
Great result for them.

I don't think anyone other than you is actually shocked. I had fancied Pomeroy by a point or two but there was never going to be much in it. Who do Cullyhanna play next?

The winners of Liatroim v Kilanny

Armagh18

Wouldn't have said its an upset. Anyone I talked to reckoned it would be tight and go either way by a point or two. A great result and hopefully they go on and win the whole thing now. Be some craic if they were to play Fossa at some point. 

Not sure where the flakey talk is coming from. Would say that about their neighbours moreso.

clarshack

Quote from: Armagh18 on November 12, 2023, 01:36:40 PMWouldn't have said its an upset. Anyone I talked to reckoned it would be tight and go either way by a point or two. A great result and hopefully they go on and win the whole thing now. Be some craic if they were to play Fossa at some point. 

Not sure where the flakey talk is coming from. Would say that about their neighbours moreso.

Cullyhanna v Fossa would be a possible Final. Posted this on the Tyrone thread last night:

'Have to say the Pomeroy V Cullyhanna game was at the same level as the All Ireland Intermediate Final between Galbally and Rathmore at the start of the year. Cullyhanna good enough now to go the distance.

Pomeroy just unlucky to meet a similar damn good side in the first round.'

clarshack

Glenullin have massively improved from last year. Still a joke though that they aren't moving up to Senior in 2024 either.

Armagh18

Quote from: clarshack on November 12, 2023, 01:46:41 PMGlenullin have massively improved from last year. Still a joke though that they aren't moving up to Senior in 2024 either.
Wtf is that about. Ulster GAA should step in.

tintin25

Glenullin winning handy - thought it'd be much closer as Glenravel were making big strides in Antrim.  That said, Glenullin being in the Intermediate Championship again is more farcical than the Cavan situation with Arva.

Armagh18

Quote from: tintin25 on November 12, 2023, 01:59:19 PMGlenullin winning handy - thought it'd be much closer as Glenravel were making big strides in Antrim.  That said, Glenullin being in the Intermediate Championship again is more farcical than the Cavan situation with Arva.
Hope Cullyhanna tank them

general_lee

Quote from: clarshack on November 12, 2023, 01:46:41 PMGlenullin have massively improved from last year. Still a joke though that they aren't moving up to Senior in 2024 either.
That is a farce. What exactly is stopping them becoming a senior club?

clarshack

Quote from: general_lee on November 12, 2023, 02:11:25 PM
That is a farce. What exactly is stopping them becoming a senior club?

Restructuring apparently. Maybe a 3rd team should have been relegated to Intermediate to enable them to move up next year?