Casting from Kodi / xmbc query

Started by StGallsGAA, June 03, 2015, 08:55:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnneycool

This Firestick interests me;

So I buy Amazon firestick; (are other version available?)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-W87CUN-Fire-TV-Stick/dp/B00KAKUN3E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442482296&sr=8-1&keywords=firestick

Any basic TV specs I need to look out for as well as the TV having a HDMI port? Does it need to be a smart TV?

Once I get it up and running, do I use the web browser on my TV to install these other apps you talk about or can I use the app with the firestick to set them up?

My broadband is pretty shit, 1.6M so I'd expect a bit of buffering no matter what I use, but is it worthwhile to have a go at it?

Smokin Joe

Quote from: johnneycool on September 17, 2015, 10:43:29 AM

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Amazon-W87CUN-Fire-TV-Stick/dp/B00KAKUN3E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1442482296&sr=8-1&keywords=firestick

Any basic TV specs I need to look out for as well as the TV having a HDMI port? Does it need to be a smart TV?

Once I get it up and running, do I use the web browser on my TV to install these other apps you talk about or can I use the app with the firestick to set them up?

My broadband is pretty shit, 1.6M so I'd expect a bit of buffering no matter what I use, but is it worthwhile to have a go at it?

I set this up yesterday.  Only took an hour and was pretty straight forward as I followed the youtube tutorial.

Your TV only needs a HDMI port.  Only need a laptop during the installation of the software in the Firestick (which remains plugged in to your TV).  After that you can get channels (add ons) by using the TV remote control.

johnneycool

Quote from: Smokin Joe on September 17, 2015, 11:04:38 AM

I set this up yesterday.  Only took an hour and was pretty straight forward as I followed the youtube tutorial.

Your TV only needs a HDMI port.  Only need a laptop during the installation of the software in the Firestick (which remains plugged in to your TV).  After that you can get channels (add ons) by using the TV remote control.

I presume the firestick uses wifi to garner itself an IP address from my home hub and my laptop will communicate with the firestick via that private IP link?

Smokin Joe

Quote from: johnneycool on September 17, 2015, 11:14:41 AM

I presume the firestick uses wifi to garner itself an IP address from my home hub and my laptop will communicate with the firestick via that private IP link?
Correct, and you obviously know much more about the process than I did!!

johnneycool

Quote from: Smokin Joe on September 17, 2015, 11:16:35 AM

I know a bit about networks..

Do I have to subscribe to Amazon prime to get it to work, irrespective that I'm using Kodi/iVue?

Smokin Joe

Quote from: johnneycool on September 17, 2015, 11:36:14 AM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on September 17, 2015, 11:16:35 AM

I know a bit about networks..

Do I have to subscribe to Amazon prime to get it to work, irrespective that I'm using Kodi/iVue?

I wouldn't think so (but I am a Prime member so its hard for me to tell).  There's an official Netflix and Youtube app on it; which is mostly what I use it for - so I don't think you'd need a Prime membership.

FL/MAYO

Amazon Prime is not needed.
If you have a smart phone download the Amazon Fire TV app. I also have the Yatse remote app on my phone, I believe this is a paid app, but it works well with Kodi. Saves time when entering addressees and navigating Kodi.

johnneycool

Quote from: FL/MAYO on September 17, 2015, 03:41:12 PM
Amazon Prime is not needed.
If you have a smart phone download the Amazon Fire TV app. I also have the Yatse remote app on my phone, I believe this is a paid app, but it works well with Kodi. Saves time when entering addressees and navigating Kodi.

No smart phone here, windows based yolk! Nokia.

The Iceman

set up Kodi for my Da on the Raspberry Pi 2 when I was home. He is all chuffed with it. Was at a mates house and he had an android box he says he paid 170 quid for and pays 10 a month for updates and maintenance. He seems to be running everything Kodi does for free. Some dell boys out there selling to folks.
Maybe there is more to the android box than I seen but IMO it's a huge rip off.
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

StGallsGAA

Quoteset up Kodi for my Da on the Raspberry Pi 2 when I was home. He is all chuffed with it. Was at a mates house and he had an android box he says he paid 170 quid for and pays 10 a month for updates and maintenance. He seems to be running everything Kodi does for free. Some dell boys out there selling to folks.
Maybe there is more to the android box than I seen but IMO it's a huge rip off.

Erm? ..why the fcuk would you pay for someone to maintain Kodi on you android box any more than you'd pay them to maintain on your phone?  It's free for heavens sake!!

Two Hands FFS

Thinking of getting an android box as a workmate recommended them but I don't know too much about them. Anyone able to give me some advice??

StGallsGAA

Yes. Read this thread and the android box thread and you'll have all you need to know.

FL/MAYO

A guy I worked with paid $250 for the firestick with Kodi.
I loaded Mobdro onto the Firestick, a ton of live TV channels on it.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: laoislad on September 17, 2015, 09:26:33 AM
Sports Devil has been working the best for me the last few weeks.
Pak Hind not working for me at all.

LL, just wanted to let you know that I got Sports Devil today and it was great. Managed to watch a full soccer game with no buffering or messing about.
Cheers