Concerned Gaels

Started by give her dixie, June 20, 2018, 02:24:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: AZOffaly on June 21, 2018, 12:13:47 PM
Quote from: Armamike on June 21, 2018, 11:51:34 AM
I don't know what possesses people to bring Palestinian flags or any flags outside of their own county to a football match.  Have people nothing better to be at?  There's a time and place. Is it really because folk feel some empathy for others' plight or is it just a chance to stick two fingers up at unionists. Knowing how both sides here think I'd guess it's the latter sadly.

On the drive to Cork for a game a couple of weeks there was a lad outside Charleville selling flags to Cork and Limerick fans. Alongside the usual Cork and Limerick flags with the county crests, he had a plethora of colourful flags for sale including the flag of the Confederacy, Japan, Japan rising sun, Poland (!), Austria, Palestine, Some sort of green skull and crossbones effort, and others. I don't think any were really supposed to convey political meaning, but are just masses of colours, some of which are the county colours. The Palestine one probably stood out the most, because of the black, and the Confederate flag obviously sticks out now too, but they were just part of a much larger colourful explosion.

The skull and crossbones is the flag of UCC sports teams, but I don't think it's usually in green.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Hardy on June 21, 2018, 02:32:31 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on June 21, 2018, 12:13:47 PM
Quote from: Armamike on June 21, 2018, 11:51:34 AM
I don't know what possesses people to bring Palestinian flags or any flags outside of their own county to a football match.  Have people nothing better to be at?  There's a time and place. Is it really because folk feel some empathy for others' plight or is it just a chance to stick two fingers up at unionists. Knowing how both sides here think I'd guess it's the latter sadly.

On the drive to Cork for a game a couple of weeks there was a lad outside Charleville selling flags to Cork and Limerick fans. Alongside the usual Cork and Limerick flags with the county crests, he had a plethora of colourful flags for sale including the flag of the Confederacy, Japan, Japan rising sun, Poland (!), Austria, Palestine, Some sort of green skull and crossbones effort, and others. I don't think any were really supposed to convey political meaning, but are just masses of colours, some of which are the county colours. The Palestine one probably stood out the most, because of the black, and the Confederate flag obviously sticks out now too, but they were just part of a much larger colourful explosion.

The skull and crossbones is the flag of UCC sports teams, but I don't think it's usually in green.

No it wasn't that one. I'm aware of that version, it's in red and black normally. This was some sort of green and white generic design thing to flog to Limerick fans I suppose.

give her dixie

If anyone is to blame for this GAA / Palestine flag issue it's the members of this board who first came forward with donations
of money towards my crazy idea to fill a van or a lorry with aid and go join a convoy to Gaza in the UK organised by George Galloway.

His idea was in response to the 21 day assault on Gaza by Israel called Operation Cast Lead that left over 1,400 dead in late 08/09. Having rallies was one thing, direct action was another and he came up with this idea of a convoy through North Africa and into Gaza via the Rafah crossing.

It was an incredible journey, and when we broke the siege I was so so proud to drive through the Rafah Crossing into Gaza in a Rocwell lorry filled not only with a token of aid, but with the love and solidarity from not only everyone on this site, but everyone in Ireland, and beyond.

What we witnessed over the time we were there so soon after the attacks changed each and everyone of us forever.

It got into our blood and we all pledged after our journey that we would do all we could to help in any way we could.

Because of the support of this site, I had a big GAABoard.com sticker on the lorry going in, and it represented everyone here.

The lorry stayed along with the aid. The GAA had arrived in Gaza.....

Throughout all that time from then to now I have dedicated my life to Gaza and Palestine.

With the love and support from my family and friends I have been able to do what I can for the Palestinians.

I have a big Tyrone to Gaza flag that has been signed by too many people to mention.

In 'early 09 when I decided to go to Gaza, Tyrone were All Ireland Champions.

Their sponsors Rocwell donated  a lorry, members of this board paid for the fuel, O'Neills in Strabane donated hundreds of jerseys, clubs across the land donated jerseys, I had the Sam Maguire in the lorry before departure,and on the front page of the Irish News. I had the full support of the All Ireland champions and beyond and off I went.....

And I turned my drive to Gaza into a journey of the GAA showing solidarity to Gaza........

When I got to Gaza I got to hand out Dublin and Meath jerseys, among others, and had something smart to say about it...

Gaza and Palestine is in my blood, an by my actions I tried to associate the GAA into their suffering.

It wan't long ago when we were suffering, and we were glad of all the help we could get.

The Choctaw Indians sent us help, the Ottoman Islamic Empire sent us help, and the least we can do right now is send some solidarity to the Palestinians, and repay the love and respect we got from others when we needed it.

If that means flying a flag at a GAA match, then so be it.

Let's not become the cow that forgot it was a calf...........

Please?

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Dire Ear

stephenite

I don't doubt the sincerity of your efforts. I do however disagree with your efforts to link the GAA to your personal crusade.

I'd suggest by including the GAA, this has minimal benefit for the oppressed people you claim to be representing.

Syferus

This is one of the most utterly ridiculous attempts to create a fuss that I've yet seen in the GAA. I'm glad it's failing to gain much traction. Less politics, more inclusion.

When the GAA wilfully exlcudes much of the unionist population with its tri-colour waving and draping of itself in the clothes of Irish republicanism in the north the impassioned calls for solidarity and compassion ring a bit hollow when coming from many of the same areas on this issue. Start this journey at home and not thousands of miles away.

longballin

Great work John and best wishes for tomorrow at the Ulster final highlighting the plight of the Palestine people.

rrhf

Quote from: give her dixie on June 22, 2018, 03:48:52 AM
If anyone is to blame for this GAA / Palestine flag issue it's the members of this board who first came forward with donations
of money towards my crazy idea to fill a van or a lorry with aid and go join a convoy to Gaza in the UK organised by George Galloway.

His idea was in response to the 21 day assault on Gaza by Israel called Operation Cast Lead that left over 1,400 dead in late 08/09. Having rallies was one thing, direct action was another and he came up with this idea of a convoy through North Africa and into Gaza via the Rafah crossing.

It was an incredible journey, and when we broke the siege I was so so proud to drive through the Rafah Crossing into Gaza in a Rocwell lorry filled not only with a token of aid, but with the love and solidarity from not only everyone on this site, but everyone in Ireland, and beyond.

What we witnessed over the time we were there so soon after the attacks changed each and everyone of us forever.

It got into our blood and we all pledged after our journey that we would do all we could to help in any way we could.

Because of the support of this site, I had a big GAABoard.com sticker on the lorry going in, and it represented everyone here.

The lorry stayed along with the aid. The GAA had arrived in Gaza.....

Throughout all that time from then to now I have dedicated my life to Gaza and Palestine.

With the love and support from my family and friends I have been able to do what I can for the Palestinians.

I have a big Tyrone to Gaza flag that has been signed by too many people to mention.

In 'early 09 when I decided to go to Gaza, Tyrone were All Ireland Champions.

Their sponsors Rocwell donated  a lorry, members of this board paid for the fuel, O'Neills in Strabane donated hundreds of jerseys, clubs across the land donated jerseys, I had the Sam Maguire in the lorry before departure,and on the front page of the Irish News. I had the full support of the All Ireland champions and beyond and off I went.....

And I turned my drive to Gaza into a journey of the GAA showing solidarity to Gaza........

When I got to Gaza I got to hand out Dublin and Meath jerseys, among others, and had something smart to say about it...

Gaza and Palestine is in my blood, an by my actions I tried to associate the GAA into their suffering.

It wan't long ago when we were suffering, and we were glad of all the help we could get.

The Choctaw Indians sent us help, the Ottoman Islamic Empire sent us help, and the least we can do right now is send some solidarity to the Palestinians, and repay the love and respect we got from others when we needed it.

If that means flying a flag at a GAA match, then so be it.

Let's not become the cow that forgot it was a calf...........

Please?
Fcuk them John. Plenty of support on here.

JoG2

Good man John, huge support for yourself and the Palestinian people in the North West. You are not 'claiming', by your actions, you 'are' supporting these people. You've the heart of a lion.
Some freestaters never cease to amaze me with their views on the North and northern folks solidarity for others.

longballin

Quote from: JoG2 on June 23, 2018, 09:20:15 AM
Good man John, huge support for yourself and the Palestinian people in the North West. You are not 'claiming', by your actions, you 'are' supporting these people. You've the heart of a lion.
Some freestaters never cease to amaze me with their views on the North and northern folks solidarity for others.

It's the "we're all right fuc you Jack" mentality. Nothing new. Keep her lit John

tonto1888

Keep up the good work John. Never mind the begrudgers, some of whom post on this thread

Lar Naparka

Quote from: tonto1888 on June 23, 2018, 11:51:27 AM
Keep up the good work John. Never mind the begrudgers, some of whom post on this thread
+1  on both counts!
Keep up the good work and frig the begrudgers!
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

southtyronegael

Fair play to you John I hope clones is a sea of Palestine flags tomorrow. I'm sure the people of Palestine will see the pictures through social media and it will give them a great boost that they won't have to fight their fight alone.

gallsman

Quote from: Snapchap on June 20, 2018, 02:27:43 PM
Quote from: Beffs on June 20, 2018, 02:07:14 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on June 20, 2018, 01:39:20 PM
While those who chose B are living in a fantasy land. Sport always has been and always will be political to some degree, but when it becomes as much or more about humanitarianism as bout politics, then people have a right, or a responsibility to speak up at every available opportunity. It was sporting boycotts (amongst other boycotts) which contributed hugely to the ending of apartheid in South Africa. Here is an opportunity to once again be on the right side of history, instead of hiding behind 'keep the politics out of it' bull.

No one is stopping you speaking out. No one is stopping you organizing a boycott of Israeli products or sporting events. Knock yourself out.

Well the GardaĆ­ were confiscating Palestine flags in Navan, so....

Have you any evidence of that whatsoever?

tonto1888

Quote from: gallsman on June 23, 2018, 02:00:51 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on June 20, 2018, 02:27:43 PM
Quote from: Beffs on June 20, 2018, 02:07:14 PM
Quote from: Snapchap on June 20, 2018, 01:39:20 PM
While those who chose B are living in a fantasy land. Sport always has been and always will be political to some degree, but when it becomes as much or more about humanitarianism as bout politics, then people have a right, or a responsibility to speak up at every available opportunity. It was sporting boycotts (amongst other boycotts) which contributed hugely to the ending of apartheid in South Africa. Here is an opportunity to once again be on the right side of history, instead of hiding behind 'keep the politics out of it' bull.

No one is stopping you speaking out. No one is stopping you organizing a boycott of Israeli products or sporting events. Knock yourself out.

Well the GardaĆ­ were confiscating Palestine flags in Navan, so....

Have you any evidence of that whatsoever?

Pretty sure there's a video of the gardai taking the Palestine flag off the guy