County Manager Merry go round

Started by Rossfan, August 11, 2015, 02:39:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowcard

Quote from: the goal was on on August 29, 2017, 04:49:08 PM
Will be a disaster for Donegal going with Banty. Brings a team of mercenaries with have and is hardly likely to have the future of Donegal football in his heart! Young lads that need nurturing /coaching for 2/3 years.

But at least we can be guaranteed that they will all empty the tank.

moysider

Will be a disaster for Donegal going with Banty. Brings a team of mercenaries with have and is hardly likely to have the future of Donegal football in his heart! Young lads that need nurturing /coaching for 2/3 years.

He expressed interest in the gig but he'll hardly get it?! He's just sniffin a few bob. He's the last type of spoofer Donegal need right now.

J70

He's one of five up for the Donegal job.

Banty
Declan Bonner
Gary McDaid
Cathal Corey
Sean Paul Barrett

Three Donegal, two outsiders

Tubberman

Quote from: J70 on September 01, 2017, 02:03:15 PM

Banty
Declan Bonner
Gary McDaid
Cathal Corey
Sean Paul Barrett

Was Bonner not there for a short spell before? I know he was over the minors or U21 recently, but was he not over the seniors a few years before McGuinness?
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

J70

Quote from: Tubberman on September 01, 2017, 02:11:03 PM
Quote from: J70 on September 01, 2017, 02:03:15 PM

Banty
Declan Bonner
Gary McDaid
Cathal Corey
Sean Paul Barrett

Was Bonner not there for a short spell before? I know he was over the minors or U21 recently, but was he not over the seniors a few years before McGuinness?

Bonner was in there from about 97-00.

He was in charge the day Brolly scored the injury time goal to win the 98 Ulster Final.

After that, he fell victim to the rise of the Gallagher cousins and Fermanagh.

He ran for the job again in 08 as a joint team with Charlie Mulgrew. In yet another example of the ridiculous incompetence and politics that characterizes (or at least used to!) Donegal county board activities, they offered the job both to Bonner-Mulgrew AND John Joe Doherty.

Doherty prevailed in the fiasco, and a fairly talented squad plumbed the depths, laying the ground for them to finally take McGuinness seriously.

mrhardyannual

How proactive are counties in fast-tracking former players into management. Donegal have had some quality players retire in the past two years. Are they being fast tracked into assisting with county underage teams or academies so that what they have a ready pathway to senior management?

FermGael

Seems Rory to Fermanagh may have legs
Wanted.  Forwards to take frees.
Not fussy.  Any sort of ability will be considered

Real Talk

Quote from: yellowcard on August 29, 2017, 04:53:07 PM

But at least we can be guaranteed that they will all empty the tank.

And Banty will empty the 'bank' !!!!!!!

J70

Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 02, 2017, 01:20:49 PM
How proactive are counties in fast-tracking former players into management. Donegal have had some quality players retire in the past two years. Are they being fast tracked into assisting with county underage teams or academies so that what they have a ready pathway to senior management?

No idea.

I'd imagine someone like Lacey would be a good choice.

I think Michael Murphy is taking Letterkenny IT this year.

mcklatchee

Quote from: J70 on September 06, 2017, 09:04:02 PM
Quote from: mrhardyannual on September 02, 2017, 01:20:49 PM

No idea.

I'd imagine someone like Lacey would be a good choice.

I think Michael Murphy is taking Letterkenny IT this year.

Fast tracking proven managers would be a better idea. My own county has a litany of former players hanging around minor, U21, academy and senior county teams. There is a mix of no managerial record and bad managerial records in that group. Let them all earn their stripes with clubs and fast track those with successful records would be a better idea than giving people managerial posts based upon playing careers
If you must ask a difficult question, ask someone else in 5 years time. I have a 5 yr plan you know

mayoaremagic

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: mayoaremagic on September 07, 2017, 10:59:00 AM
http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=275424

Huge loss for Sligo.

Eamon O'Hara or Gerry McGowan for the job?
Woke up this great news this morning, wrote this on Hoganstand,

Serious questions need to be asked about our County Board and the shambles they are, they seem to not care about results or even understand progression, they seem to have a inability for proactive action, look even losing London they wouldnt get rid of Walsh now this, Carew should never have been reappointed and its thanks to the players that this has happened, make no mistake,

The players need to dictate who the next manager is simple as that, for me Sligo GAA is an easy sell, look at our u21s, u18s results recently and i seen our u15s look very strong too, never in my lifetime have 3 strong underage groups look like coming through together, add to that the younger senior players who for me are serious players, and you have a good mix, with the older lads but they are past there peak and should be used for impact, there will be a year of transition in 2018 but then we should have more players coming through.

Anyone could see against Antrim and Meath, the players weren't playing for Carew, the system was completely negating our best players attributes especially going forward, playing players out of position, and was just minimizing the margin of defeat.

No manager should be writing an article in our local papers either going forward.

For me it needs to be 3 year plan at minimum because i felt last yr our players are a bit behind in conditioning compared to Mayo, etc...

If I were the players i would approach managers because i dont trust the county board, you cant have the likes of that management committee deciding our faith, they rarely make a correct call, too much politics involved and a lack of football knowledge. They cant seem to spot a bluffer when they see one, walsh and carew had no track record, we now need to approach managers with intercounty/club winning trophy track records.

Rory Gallagher has to be sounded out, Tony McEntee has to be too, hes a selector with Mayo last 2 yrs, seeing there set up and conditioning compared to ours must be a huge insight, he won 2 all ireland clubs as manager 4 as player, 1 AI senior as player, selectors will be Sligo based as usual i expect. Rooney, O Hara etc.. all good options

Lastly our County Board need to look into the mirror, no senior manager, no u20, no u17 manager yet, this is all there own doing, no excuse and not good enough, all should of been sorted by now, get it done with the input of the players.

No press release from Sligo GAA, shouldn't this news come from them first and not leaked to the media?
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Owenmoresider

Huge loss for Sligo.

Huge loss my arse. Pity it didn't happen straight after the defeat in Navan. Next appointment is crucial as there's some potential there if under the right guidance, and hopefully our habit of persisting with players proven not to be up to it can be eradicated.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on September 07, 2017, 11:54:50 AM

Huge loss for Sligo.

Woke up this great news this morning, wrote this on Hoganstand,

Serious questions need to be asked about our County Board and the shambles they are, they seem to not care about results or even understand progression, they seem to have a inability for proactive action, look even losing London they wouldnt get rid of Walsh now this, Carew should never have been reappointed and its thanks to the players that this has happened, make no mistake,

The players need to dictate who the next manager is simple as that, for me Sligo GAA is an easy sell, look at our u21s, u18s results recently and i seen our u15s look very strong too, never in my lifetime have 3 strong underage groups look like coming through together, add to that the younger senior players who for me are serious players, and you have a good mix, with the older lads but they are past there peak and should be used for impact, there will be a year of transition in 2018 but then we should have more players coming through.

Anyone could see against Antrim and Meath, the players weren't playing for Carew, the system was completely negating our best players attributes especially going forward, playing players out of position, and was just minimizing the margin of defeat.

No manager should be writing an article in our local papers either going forward.

For me it needs to be 3 year plan at minimum because i felt last yr our players are a bit behind in conditioning compared to Mayo, etc...

If I were the players i would approach managers because i dont trust the county board, you cant have the likes of that management committee deciding our faith, they rarely make a correct call, too much politics involved and a lack of football knowledge. They cant seem to spot a bluffer when they see one, walsh and carew had no track record, we now need to approach managers with intercounty/club winning trophy track records.

Rory Gallagher has to be sounded out, Tony McEntee has to be too, hes a selector with Mayo last 2 yrs, seeing there set up and conditioning compared to ours must be a huge insight, he won 2 all ireland clubs as manager 4 as player, 1 AI senior as player, selectors will be Sligo based as usual i expect. Rooney, O Hara etc.. all good options

Lastly our County Board need to look into the mirror, no senior manager, no u20, no u17 manager yet, this is all there own doing, no excuse and not good enough, all should of been sorted by now, get it done with the input of the players.

No press release from Sligo GAA, shouldn't this news come from them first and not leaked to the media?
Yes that is odd. Not too much to argue with the rest of that really.